Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not LIBERAL Democracy, but that's different.
    The majority rules in a liberal democracy, too, despite some checks on the untrammelled exercise of power by the majority.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
      The majority rules in a liberal democracy, too, despite some checks on the untrammelled exercise of power by the majority.
      Yes, but in a liberal democracy, one can decide where the limits are on the exercise of power by the majority. In some liberal democracies in, say, Europe, the majority aren't able to overturn gay rights.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• In some liberal democracies in, say, Europe, the majority aren't able to overturn gay rights.
        The majority most definitely could overturn gay rights if the will to do so was strong enough.

Comment

• How about we call it tyrannical democracy then?
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Because that's laughable hyperbole?

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              No one is going to use it as PR because people get all offended and halfwits like Ben use it to say that MrFun is like that, but I have always been of the opinion that people who don't want to get their hands a bit dirty at a counter-protest are delusion idiots.
              But if you defend those actions you are like that. Whether she was a plant or not doesn't matter. The reaction/assault matters. What matters more is thatno one in the crowd tried to stop it and people like you defend it or spin it.

Plain fact: These people were willing to assault a little old lady because she didn't agree with their point of view as a crowd of onlookers sat around and watched and cheered. Its reminiscent of the movie "The Accused"

Comment

• You turd! You just compared a bunch of gay guys knocking down a sign at a rally (and not even touching her body) to a rape!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• While NGR may have a point about majority rule, I'm confused as to why the majority seems to care if gays can marry.

I don't care whether they can or not, so really I see no reason why they can't.

If it doesn't affect the majority, why should they be against it?

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Why waste your time talking majority? A minority overturned gay rights in this case.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Lancer is focused on scapegoating blacks in California, ignoring the fact that they're a minority of voters there and that plenty of white people and those of other races or ethnicities helped pass Prop. 8.

He prefers oversimplification to point of distorting the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deity Dude

But if you defend those actions you are like that. Whether she was a plant or not doesn't matter. The reaction/assault matters. What matters more is thatno one in the crowd tried to stop it and people like you defend it or spin it.

Plain fact: These people were willing to assault a little old lady because she didn't agree with their point of view as a crowd of onlookers sat around and watched and cheered. Its reminiscent of the movie "The Accused"
                        Can you stop with the "little old lady"?

While the actions of the protesters was deplorable, she really should have known better.

That she is a "little old lady" means nothing. Like I said if it had been a 35 year old male, your panties wouldn't be so twisted.

ACK!

Comment

• 52% is a minority now?! It's the new math!

Comment

• Yep - according to Lancer, if you make up 52 percent of voters, that's a minority.

Comment

• I'm in good company.

If you guys hadn't gotten out the vote, you could be getting married now.

Originally posted by MrFun

Yeah - many blacks and Hispanics who voted for Obama in California also voted for Proposition 8 even though Obama opposed this prop.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• A minority of the majority........

ACK!

Comment

Working...
                                X