Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL I don't have such a big mouth. Rather quiet actually.

Ok, glad you guys are playing.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
      At least I'm going to be able to find one.
      And then the homosexuals are going to ruin it for you. So sad.

Comment

At least I'm going to be able to find one.
        Got news for ya pal, there's going to be a line outside his door, and since we have gay friends there they might not all be girls.

Comment

• I'm going to have to bet you a mango against that. (A bet I really can't lose now isn't it?)

Comment

• You're on. Hey, lets make it a mango shake at the Garden Cafe shall we?

Comment

The form isn't the only defining characteristic of traditional marriage. The definition of marriage as between one man and one woman and the widespread social acceptance of that definition are just as important, if not more so. Both will be lost once homosexuals are allowed to marry.
              Really? No.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
                You're on. Hey, lets make it a mango shake at the Garden Cafe shall we?
                Itsabet (Though if you do win, please don't be too harsh on me if I discriminate against the guys.)

Comment

• What Gays are trying to do here is change the definition of a word to accommodate an agenda. The important thing is that they are given equal rights. It is not up to government to legislate the meaning of a word. IT is governments responsibility to ensure its citizens are treated equally under the law.

We never called blacks caucasians in order to ensure equal rights for blacks. We just made sure they had equal rights and protection under the law.

We never called women men to ensure equal rights between the sexes.

The same goes for institutions. We don't call sororities fraternities to ensure that they are treated equally. We just insist that they have equal rights and equal protection under the law/university charter.

How about holidays? We don't call Hannukah Christmas to ensure equal protection of religions.

On the other side, calling it the same name ensures nothing you seek. Segregated schools were all called schools but they were not given equal rights or equal protection.

I support Civil Unions, or whatever other term you want to use to describe a same sex contractual betrothal, that have equal rights, priviledges and benefits as opposite sex contractual betrothals. I don't support rewriting the English Dictionary every time a group feels it is necessary to promote their agenda. No matter how much I support the goals of the agenda.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson

Itsabet (Though if you do win, please don't be too harsh on me if I discriminate against the guys.)
                    No, hell no. The girls would be crushed!

Ok, we'll make it a foursome for mango shakes at the Garden Cafe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deity Dude
                      It is not up to government to legislate the meaning of a word.
                      The way laws are written actually is a strong determinant of the meanings of words. In fact some words have different legal meaning than they do in other contexts. You're argument is incredibly silly.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Yep. We can disagree about what the term(s) used should be, or how they should be defined, but laws certainly do require legal definition of terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          The protected classes are not explicitly spelled out in the 14th Amendment:
                          Correct, they come from enabling legislation authorized under Section 5 of the 14th amendment.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

The form isn't the only defining characteristic of traditional marriage. The definition of marriage as between one man and one woman and the widespread social acceptance of that definition are just as important, if not more so. Both will be lost once homosexuals are allowed to marry.
                            So...you want the government to legislate that hetrosexual couples have greater social acceptance than homosexual couples? And the government's reason for creating this discrimination is...?

Comment

• Heterosexual marriage already has greater social acceptance than homosexual marriage. Legislation already reflects this. You're the one arguing for a change to the status quo. Why should the government make this change? What benefit does society get from it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
                                So the majority of voters in Cali are bigots? I don't buy that.
                                There was a TV campaign, targetted at the minority communities, falsely claiming that Obama endorsed Prop 8 and that, if Prop 8 didn't pass, school children would have to be taught about gay sex.

Comment

Working...
                                X