Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the Supremes vote to uphold Prop. 8 -- the next step is to have a gay marriage initiative in the next election. Petitions are already circulated. And then the election after that....and the one after that...and the one after that....until equality is achieved.
    And then what? No more changes?

What is to stop the people from overturning it in the exact same fashion?

Either this is binding, or it's not, you cannot say it is not binding unless you get the result you want.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Laws change BK. That's how they become laws in the first place even.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

On the dispute now before our Supremes -- i.e. whether Prop 8 is a "revision" of our Constitution and thus must be passed by 2/3 of each house of our Legislature before it can be submitted to the people for a vote -- our Supreme Court has original jurisdiction. There need not be any appeal. The case has already been filed; opposition papers are due on Monday. I expect a decision soon afterwards.

If the Supremes vote to uphold Prop. 8 -- the next step is to have a gay marriage initiative in the next election. Petitions are already circulated. And then the election after that....and the one after that...and the one after that....until equality is achieved.
        Ah, good. I had been wondering about that (whether CA really had a 50% majority requirement for a constitutional amendment, which is what Prop. 8 sounded like to me). I would hope that gets overturned, regardless of the specific issue, because if the precedent is set that you can amend the constitution through a ballot measure, that will spell the end of Democracy as far as I'm concerned (and I'd be one of the first to support that end, if this were to be the case).
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

And then what? No more changes?

What is to stop the people from overturning it in the exact same fashion?

Either this is binding, or it's not, you cannot say it is not binding unless you get the result you want.
          Prop. 8 is the inverse of this - someone didn't like how the courts ruled, and thus decided to propose Prop. 8 ... and frankly, I far prefer the ruling of the court over some populist crap like CA's propositions.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Equal Rights
            Demonstrations
            Carrying Demonstrations too far

I say good on you MrFun. And while I disagree that demonstrations are an inherently bad idea, NGR does have a point that if conducted in the wrong manner, they can be counter-productive.
            You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

I would hope that gets overturned, regardless of the specific issue, because if the precedent is set that you can amend the constitution through a ballot measure, that will spell the end of Democracy as far as I'm concerned
              This makes absolutely no sense.

I far prefer the ruling of the court over some populist crap like CA's propositions.
              "Populist crap" is democracy in action. Judicial rulings are not.

Comment

Prop. 8 is the inverse of this - someone didn't like how the courts ruled, and thus decided to propose Prop. 8 ... and frankly, I far prefer the ruling of the court over some populist crap like CA's propositions.
                Only because they voted against you. Had they agreed with you, you would be hailing the result, and the issue would be dead in your eyes, and no further votes would be necessary.

Democracy is only good when it's in your favour.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

McCarthy is back and he's gay...

Watch CBS Videos Online

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                    Democracy is only good when it's in your favour.
                    No. It's good when people are good.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

If democracy means the majority can take away the rights of a minority group I do not want that kind of democracy.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                        MrFun, what are you wearing?
                        I'm not sure yet.

(goes to look in the closet)

Comment

If democracy means the majority can take away the rights of a minority group I do not want that kind of democracy.
                          You don't want democracy then.

Comment

Wasn't it a minority that took away the "rights" of a minority?
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Re: Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Originally posted by Timexwatch

Better leave early, like 7am, before it gets too dark to metro into the city
                              You need to catch up. I've been comfortable using the metro since shortly after I chickened out meeting you guys that Saturday night. So there.

I've been to the gayboorhood bars in Dupont Circle area a number of times now. Took the metro to parts of National Mall and nearby area, and so on.

Now, if we can work out a time to get together - for real this time - that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                                Wasn't it a minority that took away the "rights" of a minority?
                                Yeah - many blacks and Hispanics who voted for Obama in California also voted for Proposition 8 even though Obama opposed this prop.

Comment

Working...
                                X