Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drake, the people in California against Proposition 8 did try to calmly educate and inform people unfortunately, they could have used more funding.
    Yep, because at 10-1 advantage wasn't enough. Next time it will have to be 50-1 and maybe they will win.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Drake, the people in California against Proposition 8 did try to calmly educate and inform people unfortunately, they could have used more funding.
      Give them more money next time, then. Don't piss off people in Washington D.C. by protesting something they're not even responsible for.

Comment

MrFun, what are you wearing?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut

Give them more money next time, then. Don't piss off people in Washington D.C. by protesting something they're not even responsible for.
          Why not?
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            MrFun, what are you wearing?
            Maybe one of you should wear a wedding dress and the other a tuxedo.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              What should I put on my sign?
              "Equal Rights for Everyone!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

"Equal Rights for Everyone!"
                How about "Equal Rights"
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Re: Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

I think this is a wonderful idea.

My best guess is that Chief Justice George and most of Calif's Surpremes want to overturn Prop. 8. My fear is that they might be deterred because of concerns over a political backlash.

The more support they get politically with demonstrations, resolutions of support (such as just issued by the County Board of Supervisors), the better the chances are that our Supremes will rule the way the way they believe is right rather than they way they feel they must to fend off recall attempts.

Comment

"I'm here! I'm queer! Get used to it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                      "This fruit don't come in a basket"
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Re: Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Originally posted by Zkribbler

The more support they get politically with demonstrations, resolutions of support (such as just issued by the County Board of Supervisors), the better the chances are that our Supremes will rule the way the way they believe is right rather than they way they feel they must to fend off recall attempts.
                        I thought they were supposed to rule in accordance with the law, "not the way they like".

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Originally posted by Deity Dude

I thought they were supposed to rule in accordance with the law, "not the way they like".
                          They'd like to enforce the "revision" portion of the California Constitution. But make no mistake about it, for a judge to rise to the level of Supreme Court Justice, that judge must have a great dose of politician in him. They almost always have a finger in the air to test which way the political winds are blowing.

Comment

Well I think they should appeal all the way to the supremes, and when the supremes vote it down, what then?

The reality of all this is very clear. No obviously doesn't mean no for the gay folks.

If they don't get what they want they will use force.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Originally posted by MrFun
                              Go to the website below to find out where the nearest protest location will be for you. All protests are set to take off at 10:30 AM Pacific time across the nation.

I will be going to my local protest which will be near Capitol Building at 1:30 PM.

Join the protest against Propisition 8.
                              Better leave early, like 7am, before it gets too dark to metro into the city
                              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                                Well I think they should appeal all the way to the supremes, and when the supremes vote it down, what then?

The reality of all this is very clear. No obviously doesn't mean no for the gay folks.

If they don't get what they want they will use force.
                                On the dispute now before our Supremes -- i.e. whether Prop 8 is a "revision" of our Constitution and thus must be passed by 2/3 of each house of our Legislature before it can be submitted to the people for a vote -- our Supreme Court has original jurisdiction. There need not be any appeal. The case has already been filed; opposition papers are due on Monday. I expect a decision soon afterwards.

If the Supremes vote to uphold Prop. 8 -- the next step is to have a gay marriage initiative in the next election. Petitions are already circulated. And then the election after that....and the one after that...and the one after that....until equality is achieved.

Comment

Working...
                                X