Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nicolai, JM and such, I have an honest question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Religious people: how do you deal with the fact that so many atheists are utterly clueless about religion?
    Religion is about endless depths of fantasy. It is a waste of time to learn more about them in detail, just as it is a waste of time to learn more about the lives of LARP people.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

True, but I believe the question was what does the Catholic church teach?
      That was only a part of the question. I think Spec confuses Catholics for being all Christians when it is not.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Religion is about endless depths of fantasy. It is a waste of time to learn more about them in detail, just as it is a waste of time to learn more about the lives of LARP people.
        I should have added the implied "and waste their time pestering you about it?"

Comment

That was only a part of the question. I think Spec confuses Catholics for being all Christians when it is not.
          Well, he names Nikolai who is Orthodox like Elok, and JM who is and Adventist, so that was just the second part of his post.

I'm trying to think of how to explain it to spec.

We used to all be one church, the Orthodox say it was them and the Catholics say it was them. Catholics and Orthodox split just after the first milennium. Then all the different protestant churches split around the half point of the second millenium BC.

That's why we end up now with almost a different church for everyone's taste. For the most part they have things that all agree upon, but there are always some doctrinal differences between each church. Some are minor, while others are very major with a long history.

Your question is who is the real church, is a good one, would say it's the Catholic church, simply because of their history.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The Ladder at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is a great illustration of what is really wrong with Christianity today.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              I should have added the implied "and waste their time pestering you about it?"
              I only pester people about it who pester me with their religion. And they deserve saving.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                Your question is who is the real church, is a good one, would say it's the Catholic church, simply because of their history.
                Visit Rome sometime, look at the stuff from the very early church. Icons abound. Everything that makes the RCC what it is today was invented a good deal later, as an innovation. All the doctrinal differences result from Catholicism's later inventions as well, mostly medieval or even later. The one thing you have going for you is the dubious authority of the Pope--and Peter was Bishop of Antioch before he was Bishop of Rome.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Visit Rome sometime, look at the stuff from the very early church. Icons abound. Everything that makes the RCC what it is today was invented a good deal later, as an innovation. All the doctrinal differences result from Catholicism's later inventions as well, mostly medieval or even later. The one thing you have going for you is the dubious authority of the Pope--and Peter was Bishop of Antioch before he was Bishop of Rome.
                  Oh I don't doubt that you folks have much to offer especially with iconography.

The only problem is which Orthodox church. The whole idea of 'national churches' is no different from the model of the Anglican church.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I thought the Church of Antioch are Copts, not Orthodox (the third and least major of the three major early Christianities).

Christianity has many interpretations, and many are not clear to an independent observer. It is only through prayer and study that we can determine God's will for us.

I think that it is a shame and disrespectful to God that so many Christian's single out homosexuality as somehow the greatest sin or something. And push homosexuals away from religion. I encourage everone to be Christians, as we all need God, and homosexual Christians should pray to God for guidance in that aspect of their lives as we should pray to God for guidance in all aspects of our lives. I do think that inherent homosexuality is the result of living in a sinful world.

I would also like to agree with Elok and Japher in that we all sin; those of us who are straight as much as those who are homosexual. We really do all need God's continual mercy, love, and forgiveness.

peace,
                    Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Leave me out of it.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                        The only problem is which Orthodox church. The whole idea of 'national churches' is no different from the model of the Anglican church.
                        Er, we're pretty much all in communion, with the exception of ROCOR and other odd schismatics. We're all one church, we just don't have despots like the Pope. Synods are more our style.

...and I currently attend an Antiochian Orthodox Church, JM. Tho' we have provisional autonomy from the official Synod of Antioch, which is one of the five ancient sees of the church along with Jerusalem, Constantinople, Alexandria, and Rome.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Er, we're pretty much all in communion, with the exception of ROCOR and other odd schismatics. We're all one church, we just don't have despots like the Pope. Synods are more our style.
                          It's a different model of the church. I happen to like the central authority of the pope, hence why I converted from the Mennonite church to Catholicism rather then to Orthodoxy.

...and I currently attend an Antiochian Orthodox Church, JM. Tho' we have provisional autonomy from the official Synod of Antioch, which is one of the five ancient sees of the church along with Jerusalem, Constantinople, Alexandria, and Rome.
                          If you ask me, I'd rather see us all in communion again, though under the primacy of the Bishop of Rome.

Truth be told, you are good folks, and hopely the schism can be healed soon.

Comment

How is not acepting gays racism when race is not involved? If you'd said sexism or sexual discrimination then you'd have a case but racism?
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

He's channeling Pekka.

Comment

Ewwww...
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X