Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I was fired today

Originally posted by Dis
    I was debating whether to tell you guys this. I'm really embarrassed. I have never been fired before. I feel like such a loser.

I'm still not exactly sure why I was fired, other than the fact the bosses don't like me. They used to love me. They say I changed, perhaps I did. I got fired for not doing things the way they wanted. I got cocky, and thought I couldn't get fired, and did things the way I wanted. The job got done, so I never understood why they were so upset with me. The job got done, even though I didn't do it the way they wanted. But I got cocky, and didn't listen to authority. Another reason is they asked me to work a different shift, and I refused. They were upset at this.

It's times like these, I realize why people go into their own business. I hate bosses.

mother****er I'm pissed. It happened a few hours ago. It's finally started to sink in. And to think, I was thinking about buying a new car today. I'm very glad I didn't.

I'm not sure what to do now. I feel so lost. Never been fired. What will I say in my next interview? How bad does it look getting fired?

and what will I do with all this free time? post in the babe thread I guess. . I'm not sure what I'll do. I may take a couple months off. I need a break from work anyways.

Sorry mate, but it is also a demonstration why your country should tighten its employment legislation to prevent people being sacked at a bosses whim.

Is there any chance at getting satisfaction for your name? I mean, I had this happen to me and they were saved by a couple of weeks because I was still in my trial period - any longer and they'd have been mine

Yeah, sacking is very hard to explain away to your next employer. Have they said they'd give you a reference? If they'd left me in a position where they could have potentially jeopardised future employment prospects I'd consider legal action.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Oh please, Provost. Dis got fired for refusing to do things the way he was told to do them. It's impossible to know w/o more detail, but that could very well be a sound basis for firing somebody. Or not. Again, it depends on the exact situation, which we likely will never know.

Bummer, Dis. Sorry to hear it. Best of luck! Though I've not had the experience, I agree with others about what to say in interviews - honesty, spun a little bit (I got the job done, but did it differently than they wanted and I didn't pay enough attention to their displeasure about that. Lesson learned, I'm ready to be the perfect drone for you! ).

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
        I'm not sure what to do now. I feel so lost. Never been fired. What will I say in my next interview? How bad does it look getting fired?
        You need to negotiate your story with the folks who fired you. Unless you did something to piss them off royally, they probably want you to get a new job, and not to hassle them. They might agree on something like "our needs changed" "we cut back on the area he was working in or something" Neednt even be something dishonest - there probably WAS something like that going on in their minds.

Then that becomes your story. Sure its not as great as going to a new employer saying "Im still working at my hold job, but i want something better" but if they want you, then they want you.

Try practicing the story in a networking type meeting, or an interview that youre not to keen on. Hopefully by the time you get to a serious interview, youre comfortable with it.

Did they tell you going on that they value results only, or that you had to do things their way? If not, then you could make the case that the job changed while you were there.

Or you could focus on the shift changing. If your new employer is not one whos interested in changing your shift, then that may not be a black mark.

Or you focus on getting temp or parttime work, where they probably wont care much about the story. Then once they like you, you apply for full time.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

10 years ago I was released by a place that I had worked for 13 years. It was all political and I signed a very nice severance package. But I was devestated.
          Since then I've learned a few things.

1. Our lives are not defined by our work. Being in between jobs does not mean you have no identity. We do it for money. (yes I know there are probably a few that would do it if they didn't get paid, but they're not normal)
          2. Take some time to relax. The odds are it's been a long time since you had an extended break. Take advantage of it because it may be years before it happens again.
          3. Unless in critical financial shape don't take the first or any offer if it's not up to your standards.
          4. Getting fired for not changing shifts is not a deal breaker for future employees. But some may consider it a red flag.
          5. Political firings happen all the time, so you just have to phrase it right. "I had many years of excellent reviews and always got the job done but when management changed, I was considered too closely attached to the losers so even though I gave them no reason to doubt my loyalty to the company they still doubted and now here I am"
          6. Your reference from there need not be your old boss. A trusted associate will be fine.
          7. Get over it an move on. The odds are that this could open up even better opportunities that you may not have investigated being comfortable in your old job.
          8. Life goes on.

Good luck, and I feel for you.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Wow... this is... unexpected.

Take a month off dude. Enjoy your city a bit.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
              Take a month off dude. Enjoy your city a bit.
              Yeah, lose all your money gambling!
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Dis. Good luck to you!
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS

Yeah, lose all your money gambling!
                  don't lose it all on gambling...save some for coke and hookers.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                    Sorry to hear that, Dis. Good luck to you!
                    What?

Comment

Sorry Dis, Good Luck, and it will be Ok!
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, Dis

It happened to me once, eons ago. Nothing big, just a stupid summer job. But when my employer told me the bad news, I asked her if I could give my resignation instead. She agreed.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Hey Dis,

Wanna move to montreal? I'm looking for someone in sales right now.

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            I was debating whether to tell you guys this. I'm really embarrassed. I have never been fired before. I feel like such a loser.

I'm still not exactly sure why I was fired, other than the fact the bosses don't like me. They used to love me. They say I changed, perhaps I did. I got fired for not doing things the way they wanted. I got cocky, and thought I couldn't get fired, and did things the way I wanted. The job got done, so I never understood why they were so upset with me. The job got done, even though I didn't do it the way they wanted. But I got cocky, and didn't listen to authority. Another reason is they asked me to work a different shift, and I refused. They were upset at this.

It's times like these, I realize why people go into their own business. I hate bosses.

mother****er I'm pissed. It happened a few hours ago. It's finally started to sink in. And to think, I was thinking about buying a new car today. I'm very glad I didn't.

and what will I do with all this free time? post in the babe thread I guess. . I'm not sure what I'll do. I may take a couple months off. I need a break from work anyways.

Happened to me about six weeks ago, although nobody said fired or anything similar. I'm cranking out work on a nice, lucrative contract gig, they're talking about all sorts of things they want me to do/take over, I'm having meetings half the day with high-level people all throughout the company, and then my immediate boss tells me she wants to meet with me at 4:30. No big deal, we did that all the time, except out of the ****ing blue they tell me that the contract has been ended early and I'm done, and have to turn in my laptop, badge, RSA token, etc. then and there. Less than ten minutes later, I'm packed and out the door, with no real explanation.

**** 'em, I'm making one and half times the money, working half the hours, and not doing a commute half-way to hell each day.

The real cute thing about all that was they canned me two days before I was going to Hawaii for a week's vacation. I ended up spending a lot of money I would never have spent had I known I wouldn't have a job to come back to. I also lost a week looking to hit the job market, but I decided that I was already committed to the vacation, the money was already spent, so I was going to go enjoy myself.

The important point is to not let the bastards get you down. Take the attitude that you'll come out on top and be better off, and then go do that.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Many times, these kind of things are blessings in disguise. It's pretty obvious to me that this job wasn't right for Dis and that he already knew that he should be looking for something else, just hadn't convinced himself of it yet...

As for Mtg, they probably just got tired of you always being right

People who are positive, friendly, willing, and smart always land on their feet... so, I guess your all skrewed
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Civ gamers are not ordinary workers; they are very acute strategists. And the incident arrived at Dis should remind us that firing is an event which must be considered as possible in any job and at any moment (unless specifically specified in the contract).

Never forget : for a great strategist, anything happening must be either desired or anticipated.
                                Statistical anomaly.
                                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X