I was fired today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dis,

i have been down and out most of my life... still am in a way. i understand completely... and i have 100% faith in you
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Here's a way to not get hired.
      Q F T

I allways check ex employers, although I wait until last employer until we are ready to close the deal.

Thats a deal breaker

A must have

GT
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

That was to Asher, not Dis. Sorry. I blurted out.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          That was to Asher, not Dis. Sorry. I blurted out.
          DICTIONARY! Use it, you TEXAN!
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

thanks for all the advice and well wishes.

I should get drunk. I'm debating whether to spend the money. actually I have plenty of money. I could probably take the rest of the year off. But I'd really look like a slacker when I go into my next interview.

Comment

sorry Dis

tell your next "employer" you got fired after refusing to change shifts. You gotta legit gripe on those grounds, legit for many employers too. Not nearly as bad as "I told my old boss to **** off and let me do it my way".

Comment

what was your job? anything fun?
                i've never been fired, but i've never had the opportunity tho either.

Comment

A) To Asher. I spelled it as was intended. Thank you very much.

B) b etor, he's a race car driver. His sponsor pulled the plug.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've only been fired once, and I was trying to get fired. But even though I was trying for it, it was still a shock when it happened. Sorry to hear about that.

Can you get any severance, or any unemployment insurance or anything like that? It has been my experience that if a company tries to deny a fired employee severance, a lawyer's letter can work wonders. A lot of firms will just cave in because they don't want the hassle of a lawsuit.

Anyway, good luck. Think of this as an opportunity to get out and do something new, jobwise.
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

tell your next "employer" you got fired after refusing to change shifts
                      Do this
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Sorry.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Major drag, Dis. Sorry to hear it.

When you're good at what you do, it's easy to get cocky. Ppl at my last job are still in disbelief that I was let go. that was 2 years ago. But get on the wrong side of management and anything can happen.

You'll go through a series of post-death emotions in the coming days. Just remember it's natural and progressive.

Don't think about your next gig yet. It's too soon -- unless you've been thinking about something specific for awhile. In that case, pursue the dream.

Your best bets for now are to pull together all your records, preparatory to creating a resume.

In the next few weeks, contact everyone you know professionally -- co-workers, ex-bosses, friends who are in positions of responsibility, etc -- and establish contact with them. This is your network. There's a good chance that, somewhere in there, you next gig lurks.

When networking (a term I despise), let people know what happened. The vibe you want to strike is "I had a great run there, but they wanted me to work night shift, so it was time to make a change." You don't want to be bitter, you can't play the blame game. You have to rise above and think in terms of the future. There's no percentage in dwelling on the past.

Glad to hear you're OK financially for now. So take a little time. Be angry for awhile. Get depressed. Get drunk. Grieve a little.

Just remember to pull together your resources -- your work history, any training records, and your network of business and personal contacts. Think about what industry you want to work in. This is an opportunity to get there.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                            Can you get any severance, or any unemployment insurance or anything like that? It has been my experience that if a company tries to deny a fired employee severance, a lawyer's letter can work wonders. A lot of firms will just cave in because they don't want the hassle of a lawsuit.
                            Good point, STYOM. Getting your just desserts in unemployment benefits is critical.

OTOH, fighting the firing with a lawsuit has far less upside. If you know or have a lawyer, I suppose it would be smart to have a conversation -- off the clock. But in general, I'd advise against it, especially for a young person. If your old company was on shaky legal ground, they would have asked you to sign off on some sort of "hold harmless" agreement. Assuming that didn't happen, and you have no obvious evidence of wrongful termination, just walk away. No sense in getting a reputation as litigious. Unless, of course, you're going to clean up financially.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

what was your job dis?

Comment

AWWWwwwww **Tia hugs Dis** my little schmoooopie poooooooopie that really sucks!

In a way Zkrib is right just don't be quite so blunt about it. Something like well there were several reasons for example they wanted me to switch shifts which didn't work with my schedule at the time and in retrospect I feel that I might have become a bit complacent. Admiting to some faults is good it humanizes you however, you also want to have the good things shine as well.

Sloww is right to. Many applications ask if it's ok to contact employer, it's perfectly understandable to put no if one is still considered an employee. They don't need to know your gone
                                Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                                Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                                Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                                You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Working...
                                X