UK! What pops into your head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dauphin
    You [the British] take a delicious oriental infusion - and dump cow juice in it. You invent a game [cricket] which no one else understands and the whole world still whips you at it. Your favourite dish is... curry!? [Shot of participants in an English Civil War battle re-enactment queueing to use a portable lavatory] Nowadays, even your Civil Wars are...civilised. And when it comes to sex, we all know what you prefer [shot of a cup of tea]
    I prefer a cup of tea in a cup to sexual intercourse in a cup.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

A nation of contrasts.

One the one hand we have a truly spectacular megalithic culture of ancient history. On the other hand we spend far more time celebrating the "history" of the crappier parts of the last century. We're spiritually mired in 1950.

We are reckoned to by the global home of politeness, yet are the probably the biggest binge-drinkers in the world, and our tourists are the inheritors of the legacies left by the Huns/Visigoths/Viking raiders.

We are a nation of entrepreneurs and inventors, yet have the largest proportion of unskilled and semi-skilled labour in western Europe.

We are supposed to be sexually repressed, yet have levels of teenaged pregnancy generally associated with the 3rd World.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Fried mars bars and fops.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN !

from fascist regime
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

She ain't no human being
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

No one mentioning tabloids?

Only European country never to occupy us ( I think, kinda tough to keep up. ).
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Give us chance
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                  No one mentioning tabloids?

Only European country never to occupy us ( I think, kinda tough to keep up. ).
                  Uhmm... It was the Brits' idea to add you to the Netherlands
                  "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Pfffff....

I've always said Holland is welcome to join Flanders.

Give us chance

You'll have to go trough France before you....hmmm..., bugger.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Pfffff....

I've always said Holland is welcome to join Flanders.
                      That's not what the Brits wanted.

They also put stupid Willem I on the throne here . Now we're stuck with the bloody monarchs

Revolution! Republic!

Which brings me back to the topic at hand:

the Continent...

Comment

Glorious military tradition: Half a League, Half a League, Half a League Onward! Nelson, Wellington. Battle of Roarke's Drift. Gentleman Johnny Burgoine. Francis Drake! Once more into the breach! Battle of the Somme. Black Hole of Calcutta. Chinese Gordon.

Great traders: East India Company; founders of Hong Kong and Shanghai. The sun never sets . . . Tea into Boston Harbor.

Aristocracy. Culture and Dignity. Old castles.

Spelling of a lot of wourds with unnecessary u's.

Rain & fog.

Comment

"What a tragedy to have known, that all my life, I have been speaking nothing but the truth."

"Four gray walls, and four gray towers, envelope a space of flowers."

"From Marathon, to Waterloo, in order categorical."

"So be it when I shall grow old, or let me die!"

"And that one talent, which is death to hide."

"...that he bestride the world like a Colossus."

"Thy firmness makes my circle just, and makes me end where I begun."

"If it be a sin to covet honour, then I am the most offending sinner alive."

"It is the star to every wandering bark"

"Let truth and falsehood grapple, whoever knew truth to be the lesser, in a free and open encounter."

"Our dry voices when, we whisper together."
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

People who are very polite, very witty, have no chins, and can't hold their liquor.

That, and superb men's tailoring.

And the only tolerable pop music in Europe.

I love the UK
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Crumbly grey cities perpetually encased in gloom.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                                Great traders: East India Company; founders of Hong Kong and Shanghai. The sun never sets . . . Tea into Boston Harbor.
                                Hong Kong or Shanghai had existed before the Brits came along.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X