No announcement yet.

UK! What pops into your head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thank God each and every day i was born in this country, it's nice to see a thread praising it.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I wish I wasn't born here...too expensive without the money to match, winter days are nigh on non existent at a few bleeding hours of sunlight and a realisation of there being no future...and I have an education...yeah, fantastic bleeding place...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

As for Hong Kong, not much should be contributed to the actions of the colonial government. Did they plan it? Certainly not. Did they actively guided and assisted the local economy? Nope. So what was it?
        An Immaculate Conurbation ?
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          I wish I wasn't born here...too expensive without the money to match, winter days are nigh on non existent at a few bleeding hours of sunlight and a realisation of there being no future...and I have an education...yeah, fantastic bleeding place...
          look on the bright side, you could have been french ffs
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

"this sceptered isle..."

Writers, thats it, writers. From "wan april with his showers sogte(?) the drughte of march, has perced to the rote ..." (pardon my poor spelling of Middle English)
            through "what a piece of work is man...." through "that which we are, we are ...." through "Or even worse, expelled!"
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This septic isle more like...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

tbh ph, i don't think you'd be all that happy anywhere :/

Comment

Probably not because people suck wherever you go
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                    tbh ph, i don't think you'd be all that happy anywhere :/
                    "When a man tires of London....."

But then Samuel Johnson wasn't familiar with Seasonal Affective Disorder, was he? He'd never been to California, had he?
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

London's not the problem just, well, other crap...
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Perfide Albion of course. The true home of evil for the past 1,000 years

Bad teeth

Bad local food

Good Indian food

Fish and Chips

English rock

Ken Loach

Maggie Thatcher

Bunch of Eurosceptics who never support anything that goes as a reasonably fast rate
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

"Death closes all; but something ere the end,
                          Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
                          Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
                          The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks;
                          The long day wanes; the slow moon climbs; the deep
                          Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends.
                          'T is not too late to seek a newer world.
                          Push off, and sitting well in order smite
                          The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
                          To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
                          Of all the western stars, until I die.
                          It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
                          It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
                          And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
                          Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
                          We are not now that strength which in old days
                          Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
                          One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                          Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                          To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            Bad teeth

Bad local food
                            I've never understood these stereotypes.

The traditionally Full English breakfast and Sunday Roast* lunch is darn good grub.

* be it beef, lamb, chicken or other
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

"When I warned them that Britain would fight on alone, whatever they did, their Generals told their Prime Minister and his divided cabinet that in three weeks, England would have her neck wrung like a chicken - Some chicken! Some neck!"

Comment

To be fair, listening to my family describe some of teh stuff they used to eat during the War or the post-War period, I can understand where the bad food stereotype comes from.

The sad, sad thing is that the British can do great food. Amazing food. In resturants or in the home, we can draw upon culinary traditions as old and refined as any the French have and use good, fresh ingredients to produce good, hearty food. Yet, what do we feed our children or what do we eat when in a rush? Crap. Microwaved curries or soggy chips. Spagetti hoops in metallic sauce.

We have excellent food but we don't respect the concept of food enough.
                                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                                X