No announcement yet.

UK! What pops into your head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you it is the basis of an entire culture."

-- The Red Baron, "Blackadder Goes Forth"
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Hong Kong or Shanghai had existed before the Brits came along.
      I believe he means HSBC.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

Revolution! Republic!

The West needs no stinkin' monarchs, the people are citizens not subjects!

Comment

Hong Kong or Shanghai had existed before the Brits came along.
          As little do-nothing fishing villages. It was the role of the Brits and those who followed to turn them into world-class cities.

Comment

Easy woman and raging alcoholics!
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You mean raging women and easy alcoholics, surely?
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                That is certainly closer to my experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  lol!

Jack the Ripper
                  The Yorkshire Ripper
                  Jack the Stripper
                  Fred & Rosemary West
                  Dennis Nilsen
                  Colin Ireland
                  Burke & Hare
                  Sawney Bean & family
                  etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera

lol!

Jack the Ripper
                    The Yorkshire Ripper
                    Jack the Stripper
                    Fred & Rosemary West
                    Dennis Nilsen
                    Colin Ireland
                    Burke & Hare
                    Sawney Bean & family
                    etc.

Sawney Bean did not exist- put in the same category as Morgawr, selkies and Gog and Magog, and the Conservative Party's allegedly superior grasp of morality.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Pigeons poop on your head quite a lot here...

...hang on a minute, I don't think I read your question right.
                      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

... Right, something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

THE MOST COMMERCIALLY SUCCESSFUL SOFTWARE INDUSTRY BAR NONE.

Do check out where things like Tomb Raider and Grand Theft Auto come from.

Not saying other countries don't go great software - the world would be a colder place without Quake or Doom or a helluva lot of others.

But when it comes to creating saleable games (or overpriced tat, from another point of view) - we're sh1t hot.
                        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          As little do-nothing fishing villages. It was the role of the Brits and those who followed to turn them into world-class cities.
                          Shanghai was a do-nothing fishing village? I expect better from you, Z.

As for Hong Kong, not much should be contributed to the actions of the colonial government. Did they plan it? Certainly not. Did they actively guided and assisted the local economy? Nope. So what was it?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                            THE MOST COMMERCIALLY SUCCESSFUL SOFTWARE INDUSTRY BAR NONE.
                            I would think that's Microsoft

Do check out where things like Tomb Raider and Grand Theft Auto come from.
                            Nothing beats Tetris.

But when it comes to creating saleable games (or overpriced tat, from another point of view) - we're sh1t hot.
                            No way. The only half way decent game coming from the UK is UFO: Enemy Unkown.. Bullfrog produced some okay stuff. Other than that...
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

As for Hong Kong, not much should be contributed to the actions of the colonial government. Did they plan it? Certainly not. Did they actively guided and assisted the local economy? Nope. So what was it?
                              Whether or not it was planned is irrelevant. We didn't plan the US either but they wouldn't be where they are without us.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                                i think different things pop into peoples' heads depending on if you say England, Britain, or United Kingdom.
                                Yup. Maybe its an anglophone thing. I hear "england" i think fish and chips, pubs, Stratford on Avon. I hear "UK" I think Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair, etc. I hear "Britain" i think Big Ben, Houses of Parliament.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X