Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackCat
    Now you got me confused,

If i'm not wrong then there is place in london where anyone can stand up and state whatever they want.

Is this just an old traditin or something to quell the current population ? or is it just ignored ?
    Speakers' corner. I'm not sure if the legislation still exists, but that is the tradition. However if you were to stand there and racially abuse someone, you may well get arrested for it, though that may be with a loophole of it being heard outside speakers' corner, thus illegal. I don't know the law there, but the tradition is that any member of the public can voice their opinion there.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Watch out !!! Our royal guards also wear what you call "funny hats" - i don't know who stole it from who.

Rain, of course it rains

You jester about monarchy, well we have one also (older than the british ) and looking at how presidents around the world do stupid things, i'm relived that we have a queen.
      I didn´t know that (except for the rain bit )

The BBC
      Forgot about it
      There are many good series from them at Discovery Channel
      The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

w ankers!
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Rule Britannia.
          Attached Files
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer

the real Prodigy is from Queens, NYC. MOBB DEEP!
            LOL! Dear sweet gentle American, there's obviously been some sort of misunderstanding.

*real Proddigy is mob depp... giggle, giggle giggle*
            Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

The Prodigy

unknown fake american rappers .

UK:

just like in the US, I think about different parts of it, and different things come to mind. However, what I see in common is the empire, the war against the nazis, and that's it, and the behavior of the representatives of the empire, back then. all other thoughts are place-specific.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Ni!!! Ni!!! Ni!!!
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I agree with Pekka, we'll be very nice to you while we kill you - its been the tradition since our empire days!

1. Politeness for politeness sake(in nicer places).
                  2. kids that will kill you for a laugh(in bad places).
                  3. Spineless modern day politicians.
                  4. Summers that last a week or two, maybe with no rain in between.
                  5. Rain/Fog the rest of the time.
                  6. England(german+french invaders!),Scottish(Picts, Old Irish and Norsemen), Irish(firey natives), Welsh(song loving natives), Cornish(scary natives).
                  7. Earl Grey Tea.
                  8. Inventing many sports.
                  9. Gardening.
                  10. 1066
                  Last edited by child of Thor; December 4, 2004, 08:01.
                  'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Why don't you guys have a constitution?
                    Too long a history - our constitution developed over time and changes to fit in with recent development/whims of the government. Hence why writing down a speech for children to recite at public events every few months would be pretty meaningless; we have more than a couple of hundred years of 'civilisation' to take into account.

Also, we are far too lazy and apathetic, preferring to 'go with the flow' and not worry about our precise rights etc. More of an ad hoc approach I guess.

A decent revoluition would sort us out, make everyting clear cut and mean we probably had a written constitution to make it official where we stood...but I kind of like bumbling along and hoping everything will sort itself out without too much needless paper work
                    Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

England doesn't do revolutions. Even the civil wars are civil.

Comment

My point exactly. The English are too polite for true progress.
                        Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Probably

Originally posted by Pekka
                          Would you take it up the butt?
                          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                            England doesn't do revolutions. Even the civil wars are civil.
                            Erm, don't believe the hype.

Massacres and atrocities litter the English Civil Wars- from the aftermath of the Battle of Philiphaugh when Montrose's followers were slaughtered, to the Cromwellian campaigns in Ireland and the English New Model Army's conduct at Sligo, Drogheda et cetera.

Monmouth's Rebellion in 1685 and the savage repression which followed were not characterized by an undue concern for social niceties.

The activities of the English Duke of Cumberland following the collapse of the Jacobite cause in 1745 prefigure the scenes of 'ethnic cleansing' witnessed in the Twentieth and Twenty First centuries.

And of course before the conflict of Crown and commons in the 17th Century, there were the various Peasants' Revolts- the best known against the Poll Tax, but also Ket's Revolt against enclosures, the most famous of the rebellions against the sequestering of previously common land by the landed gentry and the aristocracy.

Then of course there were the Brixton, Southall, Liverpool and Manchester Riots of 1981- none of which were characterized by scenes of rioters and police sipping tea and eating hot buttered muffins.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Erm, don't believe the hype.
                              I was making a reference to an old advert for British Airways.

Comment

You [the British] take a delicious oriental infusion - and dump cow juice in it. You invent a game [cricket] which no one else understands and the whole world still whips you at it. Your favourite dish is... curry!? [Shot of participants in an English Civil War battle re-enactment queueing to use a portable lavatory] Nowadays, even your Civil Wars are...civilised. And when it comes to sex, we all know what you prefer [shot of a cup of tea]

Comment

Working...
                                X