Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The OFFICIAL United States Presidential Election Thread!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • There's a flash on Zogby's site about watching Colorado, Florida, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. "There may be some big surprises!"

    He must be looking at exit polls. Fun stuff!
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

    Comment


    • I read a nice article about the US E-Voting machines in todays newspaper

      Here is a summary.
      1. The companies providing them do not give insight into their code
      2. There were elections in texan canal county where 3 republican candidates won by exactly 18.181 votes each. There was no investigation. Coincidence?
      3. One of the companies (SE&E) was once run by a former republican senator (Chuck Hagel) who has unexpectly won in the senate election in Nebraska (especially black people have voted for him, who normally would go democrat). The votes were counted by machines from SE&E. Coincidence 2?
      4. In Georgia republicans had unexpected high increases in six elections. An investigation showed that Diebold (one of the E-Voting Machine Company) had done a Software update right before the election and nobody knew what this code was about.
      5. An IT expert from Johns Hopkins University analyzed 49.000 lines of code which Diebold uses to control its machines and came to the conclusion that this was the work of amateurs and that encryption technology was misused. He only got hold of the code because an anonymous employee of Diebold had put it on the internet.


      I don't know what you think, but private companies who do the counting of votes is not really my impression of a fair election. The code has to be open to all political parties involved for reviewing. There should be no unexpected software updates w/o another review period.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Americans hate being catagorized and having the government know where they are, etc, etc. It's an anti-government belief.
        How a national ID card could be bad when passports with biologic datas are good and storage of all your air travels over 50 years is good?
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

        Comment


        • Only a small portion of people have passports in the US.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

          Comment


          • Good question

            Comment


            • I think this election combined with the last one might be enough for voters to decide they want a national system, however. That is my hope.

              -Drachasor
              "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DanS
                Only a small portion of people have passports in the US.
                Therefore, air travellers are less equal than others, and foreigners are not equal at all !
                Statistical anomaly.
                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

                Comment


                • People have to show IS all the time now- anyone who thinks the government already does not know everything about them based on your social security number is a dolt.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

                  Comment


                  • We don't have a private ballot here. They write down the number of the ballot next to our name where we sign. I am very sure I don't like this.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

                    Comment


                    • What a boring thread...
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        We don't have a private ballot here. They write down the number of the ballot next to our name where we sign. I am very sure I don't like this.
                        Extremely shocking.

                        Explains why no more than 50% of the voters generally do participate in the elections.
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

                        Comment


                        • Explains why no more than 50% of the voters generally do participate in the elections.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

                          Comment


                          • I concur with DanS.

                            -Drachasor
                            "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by GePap
                              I most other countries, when you become 18 you get n ID card given by the elections commission as your one ID.
                              We get one at birth. ( I think we get one at the age of six)

                              In a few months the new - completely computerised - one will come along. IIRC not bigger than a credit card.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DAVOUT
                                Explains why no more than 50% of the voters generally do participate in the elections.
                                Puting your name on a ballot is essential. You actually write your name on a tab of the ballot that is removed, by you, once the ballot is cast. At least, that is how it's done here in Chattanooga.
                                Last edited by dojoboy; November 2, 2004, 13:32.
                                "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                                I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                                --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X