This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LDiCesare
    That was clearly England second team, and the baa baas had very good players who probably didn't lack cohesion more than the English. The result doesn't mean much, then.
    Actually, it looked like the England third team. Sounds like it was a bunch of very inexperienced players up against a bunch of seasoned pros. But it must have been a sight to see Justin Leonard in a Baa-Baas jersey steamrolling an England player to score a try.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• By the way, I've found a game called Pro Rugby Manager. If you want to play a rugby team manager... It's made by a small French developper, Cyanide. Almost unplayable without the patch that is, fortunately, available on the web. With the patch, it's fun.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

By the way, I've found a game called Pro Rugby Manager. If you want to play a rugby team manager... It's made by a small French developper, Cyanide. Almost unplayable without the patch that is, fortunately, available on the web. With the patch, it's fun.
        I am yet to test the game.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
          The NSW Waratahs, desperate for a creative 5/8, are talking about bringing him back. They actually need a creative 5/8 who can kick well, too. From my memory of him, he's not an outstanding kicker.
          Though he is not the usual kicker of the USAP he can kick as a replacement. As far as I know he is not planning to leave France the next season.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

By the way, I've found a game called Pro Rugby Manager. If you want to play a rugby team manager... It's made by a small French developper, Cyanide. Almost unplayable without the patch that is, fortunately, available on the web. With the patch, it's fun.
            Is this the game Havak was talking about a few pages back in this thread? I'll go back and check.

EDIT. I think it's the same game Havak has:

On which note I picked up a copy of the PC game Pro Rugby Manager 2004 the other day. Created by a French developer and poorly translated it lists the SH Premier club Tournament as ‘Top 12’. It also have a number of humerous translation errors in game and gets various squad players and positions wrong (it has Andrew Powell as Tigers starting number 8 – and he never played first XV) but for all that it is good fun – with a few more patches it could be very good.

If there's a MP online version, you and Havak can stage your own 2 Nations tournaments!

I'll have to wait for the Mac version.
            Last edited by finbar; May 31, 2004, 20:56.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

My pronostics:

- Heavy defeat against the Wasps
              - Loss against Biarritz away from home
              - Loss against the Stade Français in Paris.

I think they will not qualify themselves for the final phases of the French Championship and that there wil be no H-Cup next year.
              Hey Tamerlin. Look what I found a few pages back. Oh ye of little faith!

Comment

Though he is not the usual kicker of the USAP he can kick as a replacement. As far as I know he is not planning to leave France the next season.
                I meant field kicking rather than goal kicking. Which one did you mean?

I doubt NSW will get him back anyway. They really are in a mess at the Waratahs. They were chasing Andrew Johns, the L***** 5/8, and a brilliant player. But he's 30, and he has suffered major injuries in each of the last three seasons. The Waratahs needed financial help from the ARU in order to sign him, and believed they had the ARU's support - Eddie Jones' anyway - but someone at the ARU said no. On the basis of his age and his injury frailty. Now there's poison flowing backwards and forwards between the Waratahs and the ARU, with Eddie Jones caught in the middle. Johns is a brilliant footballer. Carlos Spencer has borrowed much of his bag of tricks from Johns. Five years ago - or even three years ago - he would easily have converted to rugby, but, at 30, and injury-prone, it wouldn't have been a good investment. So the Waratahs muddle on yet again.

Comment

I meant field kicking rather than goal kicking. Which one did you mean?
                  I meant goal kicking. For what I have seen he is pretty good at field kicking.

My pronostics:

- Heavy defeat against the Wasps
                  - Loss against Biarritz away from home
                  - Loss against the Stade Français in Paris.

I think they will not qualify themselves for the final phases of the French Championship and that there wil be no H-Cup next year.

I was not far away from the truth, a loss against the Wasps, a tight victory against the Biarritz Olympique away from home (26-25) followed by a lucky home victory against the same BO. The game against the Stade Français has not yet been played but I think that it has now became a point of honor to win in Paris.

Comment

I meant goal kicking. For what I have seen he is pretty good at field kicking.
                    Mmmm. I remember him as average. He might have improved over there.

I was not far away from the truth
                    Out of two games played, you were wrong both times! You predicted a pasting by Wasps and it was a narrow loss; you predicted a loss against Biarritz Olympique and you won! When you beat SF, meaning you were wrong all three times, you'll still claim to have been not far from the truth!

Comment

Mmmm. I remember him as average. He might have improved over there.
                      I think he has improved, though his performances last year were good they seemed to be less regular. The problem with Manu Edmonds is his bad days. From what I have seen and read, these bad days are less frequent. As he is the barometer of the team, Perpignan is currently going from victory to victory.

Out of two games played, you were wrong both times! You predicted a pasting by Wasps and it was a narrow loss; you predicted a loss against Biarritz Olympique and you won! When you beat SF, meaning you were wrong all three times, you'll still claim to have been not far from the truth!
                      As I guess you would not admit I was not so far away from the truth should the stade lose in Paris... I am not changing my mind.

Comment

I think he has improved, though his performances last year were good they seemed to be less regular. The problem with Manu Edmonds is his bad days. From what I have seen and read, these bad days are less frequent. As he is the barometer of the team, Perpignan is currently going from victory to victory.
                        That's interesting. Inconsistency was his big problem here. He could play like a champion one week, hardly be sighted the next. That's why he couldn't win a regular spot with the Waratahs and ended up over there. But when he's firing, he's very gifted.

As I guess you would not admit I was not so far away from the truth should the stade lose in Paris... I am not changing my mind.
                        I'm now thoroughly confused!

I caught, by accident, the last 20 minutes of the All Blacks trial match tonight. I hadn't realised it was being telecast from NZ. The Probables ended up beating the Possibles 29-27, coming back from about 12 points down, largely thanks to their backs - including Rokococo, Howlett, et al. I gather the Possibles had given the Probables a bit of a bath in the first half.

I didn't see Carlos at work for the Probables. By the time I turned on, Mehrtens was on the field. He played very well. Yet again, he surprised by taking the ball up to the line a lot more than he used to. He also seems to have found some speed, breaking the line on a couple of occasions.

Coach Henry, though, would be less than impressed by the set pieces. Both sides' line outs, while I was watching, were ordinary, and I gather they were for most of the match. I also gather the Possibles' pack pushed the Probables' pack around in the first half. Certainly the scrums I saw were a bit of a mess on both sides.

Comment

Coach Henry, though, would be less than impressed by the set pieces. Both sides' line outs, while I was watching, were ordinary, and I gather they were for most of the match. I also gather the Possibles' pack pushed the Probables' pack around in the first half. Certainly the scrums I saw were a bit of a mess on both sides.
                          Yes, but I'm pleased to hear that Byron Keller outplayed Justin Marshall. Perhaps Henry will give him the chance he deserves.

As for the baa-baas game...I didn't get to see it. Sounds like it was a pretty crappy England side they were up against though.
                          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Some SH rugby housekeeping has been going on.

1. S12 will become S14, but with an additional team each from Australia and South Africa. There won't be any Pacific Island Combined team or even Japanese team or even Argentinian team. Pity. A Pacific Island Combined team would not only be entertaining, it would help to support rugby in that part of the world.
                            I agree. I would particularly have liked to see an Argentinian team in there. As for the additional teams being added from Oz and SA I fear this will only add to the NZ dominance of S12(S14). Australia can only manage to put forward one provincial team with any chance of winning, and SA only two. The players will likely be spread out over more teams now...it'll probably help the national teams though.

2. In Tri-Nations, each team will now play each other three times instead of two. Home and away, with the third match's locating alternating yearly. Oh well, at least the Bledisloe Cup will return to a three-match series instead of the mickey mouse arrangement it is now.
                            Yes, that's a positive.

When do all these changes take effect?

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak

That would seem to be the expectation – although this isn’t an England second or even third team – it’s a fourth team. The Barbarians might surprise us yet.

Pre-emptive excuses out of the way - enjoy the Ale.
                              I enjoyed the Ale, but my wife didn't enjoy the resulting bottom-breath. That stuff must be packed with fibre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia

When do all these changes take effect?
                                Next season. The current SANZAR -News Ltd broadcast contract expires at the end of this season. The new arrangements will be part of the new contract.
                                Last edited by finbar; June 1, 2004, 19:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X