This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby - Swinging Handbags!

This seems to be a pretty popular saying among commentators in the SH these days whenever punches get thrown on the field.

Link to old thread - http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=108700
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Swinging Handbags?

SH?

Surely not a coincidence?

hmmm - I like it!
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Glad you like it. Have you heard commentators use this expression before?

Comment

I must say I don't understand what that title means (the part after rugby of course)...
        Btw, Toulouse will have to beat Biarritz before they get to a final in the H-Cup. The problem is that no TV will show the most interesting part of that match, which will be to watch Tamerlin shouting angrily everytime Yachvili touches the ball.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
          I must say I don't understand what that title means (the part after rugby of course)...
          After an incident on the field in which some players got aggressive and started throwing their fists about, the commentator might say they were "swinging handbags". Suggesting that they are "swinging their handbags" makes light of the situation by suggesting that the players look similar to women fighting each other with handbags.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
            ... which will be to watch Tamerlin shouting angrily everytime Yachvili touches the ball.
            A naughty smile followed by a few words like "good, take your time, as usual" would be more appropriate as there are few chances Yachvili ever produce a good game with the Biarritz Olympique.

By the way, I am never booing nor shouting angrily at a player or a referee... which does not mean I don't think the less of them.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
              After an incident on the field in which some players got aggressive and started throwing their fists about, the commentator might say they were "swinging handbags". Suggesting that they are "swinging their handbags" makes light of the situation by suggesting that the players look similar to women fighting each other with handbags.
              Our Rugby is not made for sissies in France so our commentators don't have any use for this kind of comments. :uttercontempt:

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

The sissyness only exists within the humorous suggestion, but I can see why a frenchman might think a rugby player to literally be a sissy.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                  ... but I can see why a frenchman might think a rugby player to literally be a sissy.

Of course, the attitude of some Rugbymen posing nude in a calendar like the players of the Stade Français could encourage some to think Rugby players are sissies... but parisians are considered as foreigners by South-Western French standards.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin

Our Rugby is not made for sissies in France
                      Mam'zelle Labit will beg to differ. When she gets her head out from under the hair dryer.
                      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Who beat the Munster last year, huh?
                        Eh? I was trying to point out that Munster lose important games – in other words be supportive to you!

How many times have I seen a brilliant attack avorted because the half-scrum or the fly-half did not dare to send the ball to the wings where the defenders were outnumbered?
                        There is a good point hidden in this stereotype. It didn’t matter when English forwards were waltzing through the French packs in the late 90’s but now your teams have some steel up front a more expansive game is needed.

Having said that is you meet Wasps in the final they will surprise you – they will throw the ball around as much as you do.

It’s hard for me to see after Glaws showing up front last weekend how Clive can pick Vickery or Woodman for the summer tour – they were awful.

A couple of the Bok teams are off the bottom this season but only on sufferance.
                        Two in the top five I see – and all the kiwi sides except Highlanders in a block together in the bottom half!

You expect a team from 7th or lower to make the play offs? So I assume they have yet to visit RSA or host those sides?

I’m afraid the English and French top flights currently provide a far more even level of competition standard (Rotherham excepted).

You mean by which time Clive will be coaching Chelsea?
                        He would do well in Soccer – it’s full of egomaniacs.

Glad you like it. Have you heard commentators use this expression before?
                        Certainly have – it’s used here too but generally shortened to just ‘Handbags’.

Interesting that Finbar should raise Labit again – when watching Brumbies last weekend one of the younger players, Giteau I think, looked like he had spent hours in a salon just prior to kick off. Could it be he has been getting styling tips from Stade Toulousain?

*Edit* Finbar - what do you make of Lara's huge tactical error in looking to personal glory rather than winning the match. He dragged the innings a whole seesion too long at least I think - and so blew it. A 3-0 series win in the Caribean despite facing a world record knock.
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak

Eh? I was trying to point out that Munster lose important games – in other words be supportive to you!
                          Ooops, I misread it the other way!

There is a good point hidden in this stereotype. It didn’t matter when English forwards were waltzing through the French packs in the late 90’s but now your teams have some steel up front a more expansive game is needed.

Having said that is you meet Wasps in the final they will surprise you – they will throw the ball around as much as you do.
                          The Wasps once again...

I know that they can sting a lot and that many French teams are now so obsessed about the defence that they have forgotten how to send the ball to the wings.

I’m afraid the English and French top flights currently provide a far more even level of competition standard (Rotherham excepted).
                          It mainly depends on the referees and the way they apply the laws around the rucks and mauls.

Interesting that Finbar should raise Labit again – when watching Brumbies last weekend one of the younger players, Giteau I think, looked like he had spent hours in a salon just prior to kick off. Could it be he has been getting styling tips from Stade Toulousain?

Comment

That's probably the same guy that a commentator described as having "got into a fight with a bottle of Janola (bleach) and come off second best" a couple of weeks ago. "I think there was a hedge-trimmer involved as well" added the other commentator.

Comment

Isn't C. Cullen with Munster? How's he going?

And I wonder how much C. Latham is regretting turning his back on them? Another abysmal season from the Reds and next to no chance of a Wallaby jumper.

Two in the top five I see – and all the kiwi sides except Highlanders in a block together in the bottom half!

You expect a team from 7th or lower to make the play offs? So I assume they have yet to visit RSA or host those sides?
                              The Crusaders are currently fourth. They have the Cats in SA (a win); the Stormers at home (probably a win) and the Hurricanes in Wellington (probably another win). They'll make it. The Blues are playing kamikaze rugby as if they have nothing to lose. It really depends if their oppo can contain Carlos and Rokococo. They have the Stormers at home (a must win); the Cats in SA (a win) and the Highlanders at home (probably a win). The Sharks -v- Stormers match in the last round could finish up crucial.

You didn't see Matt Henjak? Subbed for Gregan? His hair is even more ridiculous. I excuse them because they're young. Mam'zelle Labit, the wrong side of menopause, should know better.

*Edit* Finbar - what do you make of Lara's huge tactical error in looking to personal glory rather than winning the match. He dragged the innings a whole seesion too long at least I think - and so blew it. A 3-0 series win in the Caribean despite facing a world record knock.
                              OTOH, both of his world records have been against the Poms! Look, I don't think his batting on really mattered. It can be justified - the team was twice rolled for less than 100 in the series and a massive score (personal and team) was a morale booster for the Windies set up. Fair enough. There was no guarantee of a win in the match anyway. Unfortunately, of course, it's only a morale boost. The Windies' deep-seated problems remain. Take Lara out of the team and they're basically Zimbabwe. And speaking of the current goings on in Zimbabwe ...
                              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                              X