This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Havak might even have nodded approvingly at their rolling mauls.
      Sadly the only game I caught was a late night re-showing of Sharks-Chiefs and the quality of those was hardly enough to keep one awake. Plus as Gregor seemed to be holding his own it speaks volumes about the quality of those two sides?!

There was a bizarre moment featuring chiefs huge islander wing. At a restart he runs like a rhino into the opposing Scrum half – absolutely no attempt to use the arms – and neither commentator nor match officials said or did a thing. The lad played no further part. It was one of the worst pieces of deliberate foul play I’ve seen in the S12 I have caught this season – is it typical that such things are let go?

Either that or you've received a nasty bermp on le head.
      It feels like it – I stayed up late to see England beat Windies yet again last night.

You are, of course, quite welcome at Eden Park anytime. I'm making up my "NZ 3, England 0" placard as we speak.
      I think we have lost the last two series to you anyway – we are kind of used to it (again).

So before he took the AB helm was Henry back at Blues? The fruits of his input seem to be there for all to see?

Tigers 38 – Saracens 10 on Friday night

Up to sixth - and getting vertigo.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
        There was a bizarre moment featuring chiefs huge islander wing. At a restart he runs like a rhino into the opposing Scrum half – absolutely no attempt to use the arms – and neither commentator nor match officials said or did a thing. The lad played no further part. It was one of the worst pieces of deliberate foul play I’ve seen in the S12 I have caught this season – is it typical that such things are let go?
        I didn't see the match. In general, there's not a lot of it. Butch James aside. If it happens, it's pounced on. Except in Butch's case.

It feels like it – I stayed up late to see England beat Windies yet again last night.
        Make hay, as the saying goes. [** SEE BELOW]

So before he took the AB helm was Henry back at Blues? The fruits of his input seem to be there for all to see?
        He was an onlooker at the Blues debacle. The TV cameras kept wandering back to him. Not a happy chappie. I'm rather looking forward to seeing what sort of squad he puts together. None of the Kiwi teams are offering him a lot. The Crusaders were doing it comfortably against the Cats - who doesn't? - but must have fallen in a huge hole in the second half.

[**SEE ABOVE] Saracens - the Windies of the rugby world!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

Yep. The Blues.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

In general, there's not a lot of it. Butch James aside. If it happens, it's pounced on. Except in Butch's case.
            And of course he was involved in the match I saw. Coincidence?

I'm rather looking forward to seeing what sort of squad he puts together
            As am I – and a bit of gossip here – after we accidentally accosted Tiger’s chief exec on Saturday – Carlos is apparently not ready to give up on the ABs quite yet – it will be another year before he heads north at least.

Also – Pat Howard will be our new coach if he gets a work permit. They want the latter signed and sealed before he is announced.

There are a couple of SH players we are after - but he would not be drawn.

All the above are totally unconfirmed Scuttlebut from the Havak ‘Executive bothering’ tour party.

And it's worth noting the same chap once told us Carlos was definitely coming several seasons ago!

Saracens - the Windies of the rugby world!
            As woeful a bunch of biff merchants as we have in our league that’s for sure. God only knows why Richard Hill stays with them.

Even better news the next game is a home fixture against Rotherham on May 1st.

The season then ends with an away match at Wasps – and you know what I think we will win that too becoming the only side to double them this year. Ah if only that world cup hadn’t happened when it did…
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Have you seen how Finbar is quiet now he can't pounce on you no more each time the Tigers are playing.

Stade Toulousain 52 - Football Club de Grenoble 24

Thumbs up for the Grenoblois who kept playing and trying to score until the very last minute of the game. The problem is that the Stade Toulousain was too strong saturday with Cédric Heymans (blonde haired winger ) and Yann Delaigue in their best shape.

Thanks to this victory the Stade Toulousain takes the lead of the second pool.

Two surprises:

Sporting Union Agenais 11 - Stade Français 12
              Association Sportive Montferrandaise 15 - Castres Olympique 24

The Sporting Union Agenais is now in a hazardous position, the Castres Olympique is already qualified for the play-off while Montferrand is already preparing itself for the play-down.
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Play Down? Thats a nice expression.

And interesting given our rumoured new coach is coaching Montferand right now.

Good win for Toulouse there.

Finbar will find some way to mock Tigers soon no doubt.

Comment

Play Down? Thats a nice expression.
                  The teams not qualified for the play-off keep their points and are grouped into a pool. At the end of this second phase, the two lasts go down in ProD2 (our second division).

And interesting given our rumoured new coach is coaching Montferand right now.

I don't know if it is a coaching problem but I am sure it is at the very least a management one, around ten players are about to go away from the club... and almost all the best ones. Since a few years, the Association Sportive Montferrandaise is making the same mistake over and over again. The management is recruiting many players and changing almost half of the team each year, how do you want them to play as a team?

Finbar will find some way to mock Tigers soon no doubt.
                  I am afraid he will.
                  "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

As am I – and a bit of gossip here – after we accidentally accosted Tiger’s chief exec on Saturday – Carlos is apparently not ready to give up on the ABs quite yet – it will be another year before he heads north at least.
                    It's Mehrtens or him for the AB job. I haven't seen anyone else likely to threaten. And Mehrtens isn't the force he was. I suppose it's up to G. Henry. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Byron Kelleher popped up at half back. He seems to be born again at his new team.

Also – Pat Howard will be our new coach if he gets a work permit. They want the latter signed and sealed before he is announced.
                    Watch out. The Brumbies might snaffle him. Though they seem keen on Rodney Kafer, currently under contract over there. There's talk they will appoint an interim coach until Kafer becomes available.

All the above are totally unconfirmed Scuttlebut from the Havak ‘Executive bothering’ tour party.
                    Never before have I been tempted to feel sorry for A Suit.

Even better news the next game is a home fixture against Rotherham on May 1st.
                    Goodoh. A victory against the Windies of rugby before tackling the might of the Bangladesh of rugby.

The season then ends with an away match at Wasps – and you know what I think we will win that too becoming the only side to double them this year. Ah if only that world cup hadn’t happened when it did…
                    I detect the whiff of opium.
                    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                      Have you seen how Finbar is quiet now he can't pounce on you no more each time the Tigers are playing.
                      Which only goes to prove that cricket references are wasted on you!

with Cédric Heymans (blonde haired winger )
                      A girlie winger is understandable. In fact, it's almost tautology.

Comment

Forgot to mention. There are now reports of England players possibly not making the SH tour unless their pay demands are met, including recompense for "their increased commercial profiles". Good grief. Someone remind them they've just proved themselves the third best team in the NH. And, with the retirement of lantern-jawed 50% of their team, and with the other 50% out of action thanks to his shoulder, maybe the fourth best team in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
                          Which only goes to prove that cricket references are wasted on you!

Not the least of a clue actually.

I must admit I would like to see a game of Cricket one of these days. It's the Lagaan effect I presume.

Comment

At the end of this second phase, the two lasts go down in ProD2 (our second division).
                            Relegation play offs – they tried to bring them in here but the top flight clubs vetoed it (all except Tigers IIRC).

The management is recruiting many players and changing almost half of the team each year, how do you want them to play as a team?
                            But they have the best Hooker in France – Richard Le Cockerill.

I am afraid he will.
                            He will be sad when we win the treble next year (U-21 league, Reserve league and Parker Pen Shield?)

There's talk they will appoint an interim coach until Kafer becomes available.
                            It seems Howard is ours so ACT will have to do some quick dealing to stop it happening.

Kafer? Have the ACT board not been watching his performance as head coach of Saracens? One of the most expensive squads in the Premiership – probably the most expensive, an open check book for next year with players signed up from various other clubs (they are taking both the Newcastle and Sale club skippers for starters!) and Rod has managed to just about keep them one place above Rotherham.

Frankly ACT must be mad.

Goodoh. A victory against the Windies of rugby before tackling the might of the Bangladesh of rugby.
                            Then finishing away against the Australia of English Rugby.

I detect the whiff of opium.
                            Maybe.

On current form we are actually the best performing side in the league!

There are now reports of England players possibly not making the SH tour unless their pay demands are met, including recompense for "their increased commercial profiles"
                            This has not been reported here at all – where did you see it? I’m afraid it sounds like typical Aussie newspaper nonsense to me.

It will be a young squad he takes down south anyway – that has been the plan for some time. Lets hope they do better than the 1998 version. And if they win all three tests – sound the death knell of the tri-nations right away will you?

maybe the fourth best team in the world.
                            Best team in the world – by definition of the expression ‘World Champions’.

Comment

Kafer? Have the ACT board not been watching his performance as head coach of Saracens? One of the most expensive squads in the Premiership – probably the most expensive, an open check book for next year with players signed up from various other clubs (they are taking both the Newcastle and Sale club skippers for starters!) and Rod has managed to just about keep them one place above Rotherham.

Frankly ACT must be mad.
                              Yes, indeed. It's the Old Boys' Club at work. The players want one of their own "in charge". Such is the way the franchise is being run.

This has not been reported here at all – where did you see it? I’m afraid it sounds like typical Aussie newspaper nonsense to me.
                              Here.

Best team in the world – by definition of the expression ‘World Champions’.
                              Yes, you get to wear that for four years. Like we did. It's meaningless.

Oh, and Steve Kefu has turned down Saints. Re-signed with Queensland for two years. Have to say I'm surprised, but good on him. The Reds are really going to need his experience with the re-building that's going to have to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                                I must admit I would like to see a game of Cricket one of these days.
                                You should have a look at a tape of England -v- West Indies. Or, better still, watch a tape of those Canadian hunters smashing the white baby seals with baseball bats. The seals put up more of a contest than the West Indians did.

Comment

Working...
                                X