Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, indeed. It's the Old Boys' Club at work. The players want one of their own "in charge". Such is the way the franchise is being run.
    They will pay for it I fear.

As I feared the contract issue is being slightly mis-represented by that SH based site – it’s not a new issue at all. This contract issue of the way the RFU uses players images for commercial gain has actually been under negotiation for at least 18 months. It has been the case that the players have seen little recompense from their image being plastered all over merchandise - and they are simply trying to slightly correct the balance via their players union not as individual egos.

The site has spun it well by talking of “increased commercial profile” in a totally unattributed quote (i.e. the hack made it up?). It’s a bit silly that they are trying to stoke up ‘arrogant English’ when it’s going to be a bunch of kids going down there helping the local Unions raise stacks of cash again for grass roots rugby.

Yes, you get to wear that for four years. Like we did. It's meaningless.
    meaningless – but who cares? We are World Champions so we certainly don’t.

The Reds are really going to need his experience with the re-building that's going to have to happen.
    He leveraged his deal – and made the ARU fork out what they had already been paying him as a supposed Wallaby. Did you know they had offered him a reduced deal because of his failure at that level? Clever lad.

Poor Saints – what foreigner will they target now I wonder?

The seals put up more of a contest than the West Indians did.
    I have to admit – you made me laugh with this!

*edit*

Oh yes that tag line to the article - about the 98 farce when 14 players withdrew. The players that didn't tour had just played 24 months of continuous rugby because of the Lions tour in 1997. Only the RFU wanted the 98 tour to maintain it's revenue stream. I refer back to my earlier point about hack spin!

Who is Greg Growden? I just know that he and I would not get along.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
      They will pay for it I fear.
      Sooner or later. The interesting question is how long this Player Power will last at the franchise. There are still a number of the very original Brumbies in situ and they're the ones driving the situation. And they're powerful personalities. I wonder, as they gradually retire, whether the situation will moderate? Obviously it will rub off on the youngsters to some degree, but they're not the powerful personalities the old heads are.

Brumbies -v- Waratahs this week. Plank has already opened fire on his old Brumbies coach, soon to be out of a job. It should be a, um, willing contest all round.

As I feared the contract issue is being slightly mis-represented by that SH based site – it’s not a new issue at all.
      It doesn't call it a new issue. It says it's been ongoing. But things are now coming to a head. As, obviously, they must.

The site has spun it well by talking of “increased commercial profile” in a totally unattributed quote (i.e. the hack made it up?). It’s a bit silly that they are trying to stoke up ‘arrogant English’ when it’s going to be a bunch of kids going down there helping the local Unions raise stacks of cash again for grass roots rugby.
      I'm wondering how third best team in the NH amounts to an increased commercial profile?

meaningless – but who cares? We are World Champions so we certainly don’t.
      Actually, it becomes more embarrassing than meaningless when you start losing!

He leveraged his deal – and made the ARU fork out what they had already been paying him as a supposed Wallaby. Did you know they had offered him a reduced deal because of his failure at that level? Clever lad.
      Good on him. Queensland couldn't afford to lose him. They'd've been totally rooted instead of what they currently are - rooted.

Poor Saints – what foreigner will they target now I wonder?
      The incumbent AB skipper who can't get a touch in S12?

I have to admit – you made me laugh with this!
      Hopefully Tamerlin will get it. When he gets back from Canada with his dented baseball belt and new seal coat.

Who is Greg Growden? I just know that he and I would not get along.
      He's our best rugby writer.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
        Hopefully Tamerlin will get it. When he gets back from Canada with his dented baseball belt and new seal coat.
        Don't worry, I got it !

Though I shouldn't laugh as I would be at the seal's place.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Obviously it will rub off on the youngsters to some degree, but they're not the powerful personalities the old heads are.
          The bottom line is unless the franchise keeps winning things change is inevitable. Ask Dean Richards how much club clique is worth when things go pear shaped.

Brumbies -v- Waratahs this week. Plank has already opened fire on his old Brumbies coach, soon to be out of a job. It should be a, um, willing contest all round.
          This one I must try to catch.

It doesn't call it a new issue. It says it's been ongoing. But things are now coming to a head. As, obviously, they must.
          But my assertion would that is nonsense. He has picked that out the air. In my opinion there is no chance of any senior squad member not touring because this issue remains unresolved. It’s silly scare mongering at it’s worst from the antipodean Stephen Jones.

I'm wondering how third best team in the NH amounts to an increased commercial profile?
          They could finish six from six and they would still be the cash cow of world rugby. There’s no nation with the comparative factors of wealth, participation and population base to milk. Until the US gets serious.

Actually, it becomes more embarrassing than meaningless when you start losing!
          I remain unconcerned whilst I can see the reasons. In a way the two losses may prove positive – if they hasten the end of the Dallaglio era so much the better. The Gloucester lard boys proved they are past their best and should be culled, we also need to find a hooker and a backup fly half and a REAL openside - but that’s about it. Not insurmountable – the youth squad may well beat the Wallabies in June (they might get stuffed as well if they let you buggers overawe them) .

Mind you in some ways the matches with Graham’s first picks may be more interesting. NZ rugby has a point to prove and I’m sure they will want to do it to white shirts before later doing it to wattle ones?

The incumbent AB skipper who can't get a touch in S12?
          Saints probably don’t need a back row – I wonder if he might join Sarries (Taine is there) when Graham drops him?

But remember Taine had a storming S12 last season – and got ignored. So on that basis RT may stay the skipper of the ABs?

He's our best rugby writer.
          My sincere sympathies.

Tamerlin has nightmares about being a seal? That’s a visual representation of his fears of seeing the Toulouse fullback stampeded over by Larry Dally and the Wasps boys.

I no doubt deserve the barrage I will soon face.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Tony Spreadbury will be refereeing the match between Toulouse and Biarritz Olympique. He replaced Chris White in the 2003 Final between Toulouse and Perpignan, when White was injured.

I seem to recall Tamerlin was not impressed with him?

It could be worse - the other teams have Nigel Williams (Wales)

Comment

I seem to recall Tamerlin was not impressed with him?
              Pots and kettles...
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Well I'll get to see Crusaders v Bulls and Waratahs v Brumbies this weekend. Obviously I'll be supporting the Crusaders in their game against the Bulls, but I'm undecided as to who I should support in Waratahs v Brumbies. Normally I support any team that's playing the Brumbies, but if the Waratahs win this one it'll make it that much harder for the NZ teams to get into the top 4.
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

The bottom line is unless the franchise keeps winning things change is inevitable. Ask Dean Richards how much club clique is worth when things go pear shaped.
                  Too true. The fact is, they've probably coached themselves for the last couple of years, which might explain the sudden lapses. But when the change happens, it's going to need to be a total change - from admin down. The current admin is culpable in the existing circumstances.

But my assertion would that is nonsense. He has picked that out the air. In my opinion there is no chance of any senior squad member not touring because this issue remains unresolved. It’s silly scare mongering at it’s worst from the antipodean Stephen Jones.
                  But he's touched a raw nerve. We shall see what transpires. If the contractual stuff isn't sorted out, there could be a wave of minor but crucial injuries amongst the squad.

They could finish six from six and they would still be the cash cow of world rugby.
                  There's always next season.

I remain unconcerned whilst I can see the reasons.
                  Fair enough, but you're not picking the team. As you've already indicated, the selection signs thus far haven't been promising.

if they hasten the end of the Dallaglio era so much the better. The Gloucester lard boys proved they are past their best and should be culled, we also need to find a hooker and a backup fly half and a REAL openside - but that’s about it.
                  That's about it?! A whole new front row? Two thirds of a back row? You forgot to mention a decent partner for your Uncle Ben - given that Uncle Ben proves to be up to it out of Lantern Jaw's shadow. So that's 6/8 of a pack you're looking for.

if they let you buggers overawe them
                  There's every chance.

But remember Taine had a storming S12 last season – and got ignored. So on that basis RT may stay the skipper of the ABs?
                  You've overlooked the possibility of G. Henry bringing back T. Randall!

Tamerlin has nightmares about being a seal?
                  Thanks for reminding me to pack a baseball bat for my trip to France.
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                    Well I'll get to see Crusaders v Bulls and Waratahs v Brumbies this weekend. Obviously I'll be supporting the Crusaders in their game against the Bulls, but I'm undecided as to who I should support in Waratahs v Brumbies. Normally I support any team that's playing the Brumbies, but if the Waratahs win this one it'll make it that much harder for the NZ teams to get into the top 4.
                    Support the Waratahs. Support for the Brumbies is support for the notion of players running a franchise. Only one Kiwi team can make the finals anyway - probably Crusaders - and the Waratahs, if they make it, will knock out one of the Bok outfits. Probably the Sharks.

Comment

The current admin is culpable in the existing circumstances.
                      Again I believe that such change will become inevitable if success proves elusive. How many sporting franchises can ‘do an ostrich’ in such circumstances?

If the contractual stuff isn't sorted out, there could be a wave of minor but crucial injuries amongst the squad.
                      Unlikely – Clive made it clear after the 2001 ‘strike’ debacle that such nonsense would not be tolerated again. Is he a man of his word? If he is any dubious injuries should prevent further selection – ever.

It is a sore point in one way – the Wallaby lads already have their image rights tied up in a nice little package I believe?

There's always next season.
                      Next RWC? France triumphant and Aus, NZ and England out at the pool stage. Ireland beaten in the final because they always lose the big important games.

As you've already indicated, the selection signs thus far haven't been promising.
                      Please say something to make me feel better!!!

So that's 6/8 of a pack you're looking for.
                      And strangely only one Tiger featured in the pack after the RWC. Which may help explain where I am coming from?

I think Julian White has to now be given the tight head berth – Vickery is shadow of the player he was pre his injury last year. Woodman is a penalty-leaking machine so loose head remains a problem – I’d recall Graham Rowntree in the short term.

The other lock I would pick the youngsters Deacon or Palmer maybe. Loose forwards – Martin Corry, Moody when fit, young Will Skinner. Chris Jones in a few more years maybe. There’s a young hooker called Friswell kicking around who may replace pie boy. And long term Jonny’s back up has to be Hodgson until Broadfoot is ready to step in.

So – how many non Tigers do you think I named?

There's every chance.
                      They shouldn’t – it’s not like you are the current holders of anything.

Ooh – low blow!!

You've overlooked the possibility of G. Henry bringing back T. Randall!
                      Under contract to Sarries for another season I believe. In so much as that matters.

Thanks for reminding me to pack a baseball bat for my trip to France.

Comment

Do you think Tuqiri will return to the other code btw?

Comment

Again I believe that such change will become inevitable if success proves elusive. How many sporting franchises can ‘do an ostrich’ in such circumstances?
                          Yes, but I don't quite know how you turf out an admin when the admin owns the franchise. I think that's the case with the Brumbies anyway. For example, Steve Larkham's old man is currently head of the ACTRU (or whatever it's called) that has a big stake in the Brumbies.

It is a sore point in one way – the Wallaby lads already have their image rights tied up in a nice little package I believe?
                          Yes, all sorted out prior to the World Cup. Bringing about much bad blood between players and admin.

Next RWC? France triumphant and Aus, NZ and England out at the pool stage. Ireland beaten in the final because they always lose the big important games.
                          Next 6 Nations:

1. France
                          2. Ireland
                          3. Wales
                          4. Italy
                          5. Scotland
                          6. The other mob

I think Julian White has to now be given the tight head berth – Vickery is shadow of the player he was pre his injury last year. Woodman is a penalty-leaking machine so loose head remains a problem – I’d recall Graham Rowntree in the short term.

The other lock I would pick the youngsters Deacon or Palmer maybe. Loose forwards – Martin Corry, Moody when fit, young Will Skinner. Chris Jones in a few more years maybe. There’s a young hooker called Friswell kicking around who may replace pie boy. And long term Jonny’s back up has to be Hodgson until Broadfoot is ready to step in.
                          Goodoh. A whole new pack. That which was your greatest strength. Prepare for some pastings.

That aside, as I've said all along, your biggest loss is You Know Who. There's no obvious replacement, so everyone else is going to have to lift of their own accord rather than be lifted and driven.

So – how many non Tigers do you think I named?
                          The masseur?

They shouldn’t – it’s not like you are the current holders of anything.

Ooh – low blow!!
                          Not at all. Absolutely no pressure. We can sit back and watch the incumbents rattling down the slippery slide.

Comment

Do you think Tuqiri will return to the other code btw?
                            Bloody well hope not. He could be anything in rugby. He did a couple of magical things last weekend - immaculate off-loads as he was hitting the ground, that sort of thing. There's obviously some contract cranking going on. The ARU will always be able to top the L***** money, but I think there are other factors involved - the serious travelling our players have to do, disrupting family, et al. I keep reading bits and pieces to the effect that he will stay because of the scope rugby offers that L***** doesn't, but who knows? Matt Rogers will be the next cab off the negotiating rank. Can't afford to lose him either!

Hark! Is that Tamerlin's new winter jacket I hear "arf"-ing?

Comment

Support the Waratahs. Support for the Brumbies is support for the notion of players running a franchise. Only one Kiwi team can make the finals anyway - probably Crusaders - and the Waratahs, if they make it, will knock out one of the Bok outfits. Probably the Sharks.
                              But if the Waratahs lose it'll make it easier for another NZ team to make it. Besides, I'm not so sure I'm totally against the idea of players running a franchise. Live and let live - I thought that was your attitude towards it too...?

Comment

Next 6 Nations:

1. France
                                2. Ireland
                                3. Wales
                                4. Italy
                                5. Scotland
                                6. The other mob

Comment

Working...
                                X