Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's almost time for a new thread, so I've been tossing around ideas for the new title. The two I have so far continue the "Swinging Handbags" theme as they are other amusing comments I have heard uttered by commentators during a brawl.

Rugby - Bit of a Kiss n' Cuddle

Rugby - Exchanging Phone Numbers
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by Andydog

I think it will be Merhts. He had a fantastic trial game, turning it around just like he did the Super 12 final, but this time his side was only 13 down when he arrived on the field, as opposed to 33. Thanks to some sharp running and excellent wide passes, he managed to swing the team around to a win this time. Huge influence on the result.
      Yes, he looked good when he came on in both matches. Unfortunately I missed the first half of the trial match so I didn't see Carlos in action. Does Mehrtens look to have amended his game to you? Involving himself more? Running more?
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
        Never. It’s not a case of recalling anything positive you said of him but rather thinking back to the least negative. In an early exchange re: his impact on and off field in Oz you almost conceded at one point that you wouldn’t say he had no playing talent.
        Obviously a bout of hyperbole. It soon passed.

Did I mention that ACT player power Mr Paul had met with Tigers about a possible move btw?
        Fair enough. He's only ever a Canon injury away from the Wallabies job. I'm not sure why he's looking (effectively) to retire.

In other news England wrapped up the series against the Kiwi’s in the cricket – taking an unassailable two test lead. The Kiwi youngster Vittori has badly done in his hamstring in the process.

So England 1 NZ 0 this week – I’ll enjoy it whilst I can!!
        Yes, and Trescothic did it again, another century against an attack best described as honest. More false hope.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

3rd test looks a major worry with Vettori out as well.
          Seems to me that, as their only spinner, his use as a stock bowler has dulled his penetration anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

They are all playing at the Stade Toulousain...
            Bees to the money honey pot! Or even flies to the crottin!
            Last edited by finbar; June 7, 2004, 20:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
              It's almost time for a new thread, so I've been tossing around ideas for the new title. The two I have so far continue the "Swinging Handbags" theme as they are other amusing comments I have heard uttered by commentators during a brawl.

Rugby - Bit of a Kiss n' Cuddle

Rugby - Exchanging Phone Numbers
              Yes, they're in the same vein as the current title, and they're largely SH expressions. I think we're best off with the actual game-related oddities. One Havak would certainly hate because he hates the term:

Rugby - Truck and Trailer!

Which is the refs' description for shepherding.

Comment

• Yes I hate truck and trailer! Donlt let that influence you though! Personally my choice would be Rugby – Sir Clive has lost it big time

The big news of the day of course is that the Australian version of play school showed a clip where two lesbian mothers took their daughter to the zoo. No less a figure than the noted liberal Aussie PM has got involved in that. I’m sure Finbar will have a POV on Howard getting involved?

I'm not sure why he's looking (effectively) to retire.
                Well that could read badly on Tigers who are after all a much bigger franchise than Brumbies – but I know you meant internationally really?

Yes, and Trescothic did it again, another century against an attack best described as honest. More false hope.
                Everyone is scoring runs but Vaughan right now. The real false hope could be the young lad Strauss – it was his fourth test innings before he scored less than 50. The pressure that will put on him will truly give him the acid test now.

One player who has come of age is ‘Freddie’ Flintoff. As a youngster he looked overweight, unfit and rather average all round. His is now in shape and whilst still a farily mediocre bowler his batting has improved considerably. He is capable of scoring runs against any attack.

Having said that Vaughans silly talk yesterday of the next ashes being competitive is just wishful thinking.

Seems to me that, as their only spinner, his use as a stock bowler has dulled his penetration anyway.
                But without him their seam attack is all too similar. There is no real pace in it either.

The side has been named – and I’m more worried now!

England: J Lewsey (Wasps); J Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester), M Tindall (Bath), M Catt (London Irish), B Cohen (Northampton); C Hodgson (Sale), M Dawson (Northampton); T Woodman (Sale Sharks), S Thompson (Northampton), J White (Leicester), S Shaw (Wasps), D Grewcock (Bath), C Jones (Sale Sharks), R Hill (Saracens), L Dallaglio (Wasps, capt).
                Replacements: M Regan (Leeds), M Stevens (Bath), S Borthwick (Bath), J Worsley (Wasps), A Gomarsall (Gloucester), S Abbott (Wasps), T Voyce (Wasps).

So Corry and Ellis do not make the 22. Jones at blindside. We are playing a team full of S12 flankers and Clive chooses to play his own young equivalent of them. Sheesh. Simpson-Daniel on the wing – fast but lightweight, it’s Lomu-Underwood all over again! Catt outside Hodgson – well that makes sense to take the pressure of Charlie.

But that bench! Regan? I am now sorry we concussed Titterall when we played Sale! Stevens – looked adrift in the Bath side that lost the final. Borthwick cannot handle an NZ side. Worseley instead of Corry – no power or bulk again. Gomersall and Abbott have not been in form. Voyce is a very lightweight winger so if the ABs walk all over S-D we are buggered.

He has picked a light weight and mobile side to face a team that has mastered that way of playing. Oh god I’m going to have to watch this shambles and front up here next week.

Thank god we are world champions for another 3.5 years.

I think it may be time for Clive to move upstairs personally – this team selection sucks.
                Last edited by Havak; June 8, 2004, 04:15.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

Bees to the money honey pot! Or even flies to the crottin!
                  You certainly mean: C'est donner du lard à des cochons.

Once again I propose the title:

Rugby: the Noble Game (at least in the NH)...
                  "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Does Mehrtens look to have amended his game to you? Involving himself more? Running more?
                    Yes on both counts. In the super12 final we saw him amongst the thick of it a lot more, and he even broke the line once or twice. I don't think he once took a wrong option.

Unfortunately however, he's been shafted again. Seems like the pre-requisite for the number 10 NZ jearsy is to have a ****e haircut and play a like an amatuer.

Starting XV: Kees Meeuws, Keven Mealamu, Carl Hayman, Chris Jack, Keith Robinson, Jono Gibbes, Richard McCaw, Xavier Rush, Justin Marshall, Carlos Spencer, Joe Rokocoko, Daniel Carter, Tana Umaga (capt) Doug Howlett, Mils Muliaina.
                    Reserves: Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Byron Kelleher, Nick Evans, Sam Tuitupou.

So very disappointing that Mehrtens isn't in the squad. You need experience and stability against the English. In Evans, we don't have the experience and in Spencer we don't have the stability.

At Super 12 and NPC level, Carlos is fantastic, and he's played some great international games, but frankly - he's no Mehrtens in the tight and tense games. Henry should have introduced a rookie such as Evans against one of the other teams to be played latter on - like the Pacific Islands or Argentina, and had Mehrtens on the bench.
                    Last edited by Andydog; June 8, 2004, 04:56.

Comment

He has picked a light weight and mobile side to face a team that has mastered that way of playing. Oh god I’m going to have to watch this shambles and front up here next week.
                      Yes it's hard to see where Clive is going with this team. I get that Catty is there to take the heat off of Hodgson but i'm not so sure Cohen has earnt his place there this season and wonder if JSD has improved his defence enough to warrant his starting wing slot.

Looks like a reactive team to me.

I suspect Jones was a late selection to the English pack - a reaction to the selection of Gibbes in the ABs announced earlier in the day perhaps?

Comment

Starting XV: Kees Meeuws, Keven Mealamu, Carl Hayman, Chris Jack, Keith Robinson, Jono Gibbes, Richard McCaw, Xavier Rush, Justin Marshall, Carlos Spencer, Joe Rokocoko, Daniel Carter, Tana Umaga (capt) Doug Howlett, Mils Muliaina.
                        Reserves: Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Byron Kelleher, Nick Evans, Sam Tuitupou.
                        Where are the forwards?
                        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• 18 months ago Cohen was on fire. With the exception of Stade de France where he had an excellent second half he has been very muted since (including the world cup). He has a very good record against SH sides I suppose - but Clive always says he picks on form not reputation.

Jones may have been a reaction to Gibbes as you say - although Clive has been making positive noises about him for months. What I think Clive has failed to take on baord is that Jones has 'starred' in a pack that has had a torrid second half of the season partly because Chris likes to wander off on the wing.

I still feel a more physical presence at 6 would have been better - particularly with Carlos in the cross hairs.

Injury has caused Clive problems - and the Churchill cup has split resources - but looking at this selection I would rather the Churchill squad was down there I think.

Oh well - c'est la vie.
                          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Yes I hate truck and trailer!
                            Sufficient reason for me to insist it's the new title!

Personally my choice would be Rugby – Sir Clive has lost it big time
                            OT forum perusers might think it's a thread about curry powder.

The big news of the day of course is that the Australian version of play school showed a clip where two lesbian mothers took their daughter to the zoo. No less a figure than the noted liberal Aussie PM has got involved in that. I’m sure Finbar will have a POV on Howard getting involved?
                            Don't get me started! But seeing you already have - it has brought every neanderthal thinker crawling out of the local woodwork. Naturally, the little turd who masquerades as our Prime Minister has brought the full might of his 1950s methodist wisdom to the matter. He was, prior to this, rushing through legislation to prohibit same-sex marriages. Say no more.

Well that could read badly on Tigers who are after all a much bigger franchise than Brumbies – but I know you meant internationally really?
                            To quote Tamerlin in situations like this -

Everyone is scoring runs but Vaughan right now. The real false hope could be the young lad Strauss – it was his fourth test innings before he scored less than 50. The pressure that will put on him will truly give him the acid test now.
                            Yes. The true test is against truly highly class bowling. Hullo Mr Trescothic?

One player who has come of age is ‘Freddie’ Flintoff. As a youngster he looked overweight, unfit and rather average all round. His is now in shape and whilst still a farily mediocre bowler his batting has improved considerably. He is capable of scoring runs against any attack.
                            Yes. Always had tons of potential. Needed to lose weight and apply himself. Hopefully he's seen the light.

Having said that Vaughans silly talk yesterday of the next ashes being competitive is just wishful thinking.
                            Currently, our batting is massively stronger than our bowling. McGrath is only just back from a long injury layoff and there's no guarantee, at his age, that he will come back as good. If he doesn't, Gillespie, a wonderful bowler, will need better support than what was on offer last season.

But without him their seam attack is all too similar. There is no real pace in it either.
                            No, just honest medium-fasts. And I don't think Vettori has been a bona fide threat for a few seasons now. Not just because he's been used as a stock bowler, I think he's been carrying a back injury too.

The side has been named – and I’m more worried now!

England: J Lewsey (Wasps); J Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester), M Tindall (Bath), M Catt (London Irish), B Cohen (Northampton); C Hodgson (Sale), M Dawson (Northampton); T Woodman (Sale Sharks), S Thompson (Northampton), J White (Leicester), S Shaw (Wasps), D Grewcock (Bath), C Jones (Sale Sharks), R Hill (Saracens), L Dallaglio (Wasps, capt).
                            Replacements: M Regan (Leeds), M Stevens (Bath), S Borthwick (Bath), J Worsley (Wasps), A Gomarsall (Gloucester), S Abbott (Wasps), T Voyce (Wasps).

So Corry and Ellis do not make the 22. Jones at blindside. We are playing a team full of S12 flankers and Clive chooses to play his own young equivalent of them. Sheesh. Simpson-Daniel on the wing – fast but lightweight, it’s Lomu-Underwood all over again! Catt outside Hodgson – well that makes sense to take the pressure of Charlie.

But that bench! Regan? I am now sorry we concussed Titterall when we played Sale! Stevens – looked adrift in the Bath side that lost the final. Borthwick cannot handle an NZ side. Worseley instead of Corry – no power or bulk again. Gomersall and Abbott have not been in form. Voyce is a very lightweight winger so if the ABs walk all over S-D we are buggered.

Mmmmm. I don't know 30% of this team. I shall watch with interest.

Thank god we are world champions for another 3.5 years.
                            Welcome to the label of World Champions.

Comment

Yes, they're in the same vein as the current title, and they're largely SH expressions. I think we're best off with the actual game-related oddities. One Havak would certainly hate because he hates the term:

Rugby - Truck and Trailer!

Which is the refs' description for shepherding.
                              Have we used Rugby - Lazy Running! yet?
                              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• No, but I don't think it's terribly intriguing anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X