No announcement yet.

Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are thinking of Clark and Lieberman.
    Vote Democrat
    Support Democracy

Comment

Originally posted by POTUS
      It is only beginning, we won't know the final results until much later.
      Over half of the precincts are in, it looks a little too late for Gephardt and Dean. Kerry has an advantage, we'll have to see if he or Edwards pulls it out.

Kerry 37%
      Edwards 33%
      Dean 18%
      Gephardt 11%
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

From the entrance polls:

Why Edwards does well in Iowa.

Total / Dean / Edwards / Gephardt / Kerry / Kucinich

Cares about people like me 22 15 41 17 22
        Takes strong stands on the issues 29 31 23 7 26 10
        Has the right experience 15 5 2 18 71
        Can beat George W. Bush 27 21 30 6 37

41% for of the people feel Edwards cares about them, higher than Kerry, while 71% of the group looking for experience, sees Kerry with the right experience.

Dean leads with 31% saying that he takes strong stands on the issues, but trails both Kerry and Edwards when people consider whether he can beat Dubya.

That 41% is huge for Edwards, the only category he polls ahead of Kerry.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Gephardt's gotta remove himself from this race, if he can only get 4th in a neighboring state, where there are no other real Midwestern candidates. That's a pretty piss-poor showing.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Kerry 37%
            Edwards 33%
            Dean 18%
            Gephardt 11%

Dean's gotta get 60% of the remaining ballots, and has to hope the rest continue to split between Kerry and Edwards and Gephardt for him to have a chance.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              Gephardt's gotta remove himself from this race, if he can only get 4th in a neighboring state, where there are no other real Midwestern candidates.
              Plus he won the Iowa caucus in 2000. That's quite a fall to take.

Comment

And why Dean did poorly. It's the economy, stupid.

Total / Dean / Edwards / Gephardt / Kerry

Economy/Jobs 29 16 34 12 33

Dean gets 16% of the 29% citing the economy as their primary concern. Edwards and Kerry are nose to nose.

Comment

And we have a projected winner, Kerry will get the most delegates tonight.

Comment

Winston: ITYM, Gephardt won in '88, rather. But the point is still valid.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If these results hold, the big losers are:

1.Gephardt- basically out of the race
                      2. Dean- his "frontrunner" status is questioned, makes New hampshire a must.
                      3. Lieberman- not running here anyway, but he has essentially become the anti-Dean candidate. If Dean is not the pressumed front runner, what the hell does he do?

Big Winners:
                      1. Edwards-biggest single jump up- never seen as a front runner, now has a chance
                      2. Kerry- makes him competative again in New Hampshire, shows his war experience resonates.

Mixed:
                      Clark- A huge dent in Dean is good for him, but a big surge in Kerry might sap more people from him than Dean.
                      Kucinich and Sharpton- were not going to do well anyway, so who cares.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                        From the entrance polls:

Why Edwards does well in Iowa.

Total / Dean / Edwards / Gephardt / Kerry / Kucinich

Cares about people like me 22 15 41 17 22
                        Takes strong stands on the issues 29 31 23 7 26 10
                        Has the right experience 15 5 2 18 71
                        Can beat George W. Bush 27 21 30 6 37
                        37% feel Kucinich could beat Bush? 71% feel he has the right experience?

That's got to be a typo, no? Or am I just reading it wrong?

So, assuming Gephardt drops out, who does he endorse?
                        "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                          So, assuming Gephardt drops out, who does he endorse?
                          A fellow legislator most likely, either Lieberman or Kerry I would say: though he could always jump in for Clark.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Edan:

I suck at graphs.

First number in each row is the total.

Second number in each row is Dean, etc.

Kucinich is 6th, but I only included one section where he polled in double digits. All the others, he had no effect on the overall outcome.

Is the link to the exit polls, so you don't have to look at the poor attempt at a graph.

Comment

hes not likely to endorse Clark considering his stance on trade.

Comment

Gephardt has officialy confirmed he will drop out.

Comment

Working...
                                X