Praise for Deus Ex and a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hot on yer trail Carolus.
    I started playing again after you started this thread and suckered me in (again) and I've just finished battling my way through Hong Kong. Now I'm off in pursuit of some tanker full of nasty stuff that's heading for the good old US of A.
    Just as well that Tong chap has connections.

The spiffy black whizz-bang chopper comes in handy too ...

Comment

• Originally posted by ravagon

I'm hot on yer trail Carolus.
      Heh, heh! You'll probably pass me too as I'm leaving for a week and won't be able to play anything at all then...

What do you people think about the sequel? I've already bought it (too good price to resist), but it seems to have gotten a fairly cool reception... Some people in this thread don't like it... Why?

Carolus

Comment

• It a consolified game - just basic FPS really.

In truth it's an ok game, and if released under a different name would be heralded as a decent but not spectacular FPS. However, people expecting a follow up to the classic Deus Ex get very disappointed and slam the game, not surprisingly.

Comment

• As a game in its own right, it would have been ok. Not great, but not as awful as the average opinion would have you think. The biggest problem is that by being a bad sequel that could not possibly sell as well as the original, it all but ensured that no other Deus Ex sequels would be made.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• Heh. Like as not I'll never catch up CR as I can only play on weekends.

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
            The biggest problem is that by being a bad sequel that could not possibly sell as well as the original, it all but ensured that no other Deus Ex sequels would be made.
            I think you're wrong about killing the franchise (at least I sincerely hope so!).
            There've been many series that've survived the odd bad apple and gotten past it.

*wishful thinking*

Another Deus Ex with a plot along the lines of the first is something I would dearly love to see. Conspiracies, betrayels, secret societies ...
            Forget the fancy schmancy system-killing lighting system. Heck don't even bother changing the graphics or the game system much at all.
            It'd be nice to have a well-modelled collision system under reasonably realistic laws of gravity but not at the expense of requiring the newest 20GHz chip and a half terabyte of ram to run it.
            Maybe throw in a few new weapon mods/augs/monsters. Add in a few more generic NPC's. Blow up the map sizes somewhat from the original and maybe make it a bit more non-linear through the middle only to bring it all together again near the end?
            :drool:

Ok, I'll stop now before I mess up Carolus' nice thread.
            Last edited by ravagon; June 19, 2005, 20:09.

Comment

• Deus Ex is my favorite game; I haven't even tried the sequel.

The one thing I know that I haven't seen mentioned is this little nicety: if you headshot anyone with a tranq dart, they fall to sleep damn quick, which is great.
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

• And the way they run around like a headless chicken beforehand is priceless.

Comment

• Been away a week... Resumed playing tonight... The ocean lab was nice (I also liked the french castle)...

I couldn't kill Walter Simmons, though... I had no big guns + the specs of my computer are too low -> the game runs extremely slow and "bumpy" due to all those explosions from his supergun -> it was simply impossible to aim right... (ok, I'm running out of excuses here... ) Despite using the regeneration aug (yes, I do have it; just didn't think of using it before) and lots of medkits, he always killed me...

So, I just ran away from him... Took care of two scuba divers on the way back, though...

Too bad there is no film during the mini-sub trip... I like the under water mission...

Nice quote from Tracer Tong: "I'm not a higher-order term in the equation anymore"...!

Carolus

Comment

• Darn. Still a long way ahead of me.
                    Sniped the commandos in Paris and disabled the Bots. Just grabbed the plasma gun from the arms dealer and am about to terminate all of the MJ12 goons before meeting Nicolette outside the club.

I love the French door guys reaction if you don't pay to get in ...

[Insert overblown Clouseau-esqe accent]
                    "You sneaky swine, you will pay or I will call the police"
                    JC: "Make me"
                    "No, no you will pay!"

Incidentally CR, if you didn't kill him in the Ocean lab that won't be the last you'll see of Walton Simons ...

Note to Skanky: Hacking ATM's is not always the best way to get cash out of them. Try the two in Paris. The first gives 750 (with advanced hacking), the second 0. If you use the account #'s though before hacking the second one you can actually get money out of it ...

Comment

• If you don't kill Simons in the seabase, he catches up to later? Could you put it spoiler tags for me? I always iced him in the seabase...
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I ran away from Simons too. He isn't a high-order term in the equation either.

Originally posted by Guynemer
                        If you don't kill Simons in the seabase, he catches up to later? Could you put it spoiler tags for me? I always iced him in the seabase...
                        Spoiler:
                        He reappears at Area 51, in one of the buildings outside the bunker.

Comment

Note to Skanky: Hacking ATM's is not always the best way to get cash out of them. Try the two in Paris. The first gives 750 (with advanced hacking), the second 0. If you use the account #'s though before hacking the second one you can actually get money out of it ...
                          ... the total of which is always 750. Try it. I did. If you take money out of the accounts, then hack the atm, it will have 750 minus whatever you just took out. Strange, but apparently ATMs only have a set amount of money in them.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• Uh uh. I tried it.

Hacked the first (left?) one - got my 750.
                            Saved, just to test the second, hacked it, got zip.
                            Reloaded and logged into the second one, er, 'legally' with the few account #'s I'd found (having already nicked the 750 from the first) and got, IIRC, 100, 200 and some other sum from the first 3.
                            Interestingly though the fourth account # had a balance of -550.
                            I thought it wise not to try and 'extract' that last one.

Wrt Mr Simons in the ocean lab, I've found it a handy tactic to keep running and try to draw him away from that earthmover in the corner. Then double back and get underneath it. Then you can cheap shot him to pieces.

Comment

Incidentally CR, if you didn't kill him in the Ocean lab that won't be the last you'll see of Walton Simons ...
                              I figured as much. Maybe I'll try to kill him in the lab again... I've just started the silo mission (?), so I'm not too far ahead of it... I could go back and replay, although that would be cheating in my book...

What do you mean by "double back", crouch? Hiding under that vehicule... Shooting at his knee caps?

Carolus

Comment

• Originally posted by Kloreep
                                Spoiler:
                                He reappears at Area 51, in one of the buildings outside the bunker.
                                Spoiler:
                                Yes and there they have this nice conversation:
                                Walton Simons: "You take another step forward and here I am again, like your own reflection in a hall of mirrors."
                                JC Denton: "That makes me one ugly son of a *****."

Comment

Working...
                                X