Praise for Deus Ex and a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carolus Rex
    Getting out of the ship really wasn't too difficult, though... Lots of time...
    Lots of time is an understatement, there is no time limit at all

Comment

• Combat vs 1 person (or burrick or whatever) is difficult but by no means impossible. The trick is to stay behind them, no matter which way they turn. Multiple human enemies are impossible in a straight fight.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• True enough it's possible, and I have taken on Burricks with a sword now and then. On Expert level, though, it isn't really possible against humans, at least not if you intend to win.

Comment

• It is. You just need to get behind them and stay behind them. It is quite difficult but can be done. Then you just hack away at them as they are busy swinging in front of themselves (and towards the side too). If they can't hit you - they can't defeat you.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• Although there is the little technicality that on most levels at Expert level, you fail the mission if anyone dies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kloreep

The main approach I took to combat was to avoid a fair firefight. Either melee weapons used by sneaking up (or just throw caution to the wind and run up from the front, if you have the Cloak available) or the sniper rifle.
              Same here. Riot prod from behind + stealth pistol between the eyes if they're not taken out directly with the prod...

Originally posted by Kloreep

I just finished Deus Ex for the first time. Another day, I'm going to have to go back and try the other endings.
              Multiple endings, eh? Interesting...

Originally posted by Kloreep

BTW, while you've probably made this decision already, choose the Ballistic Shield over the EMP Shield.
              Well, I hardly use any of the various "suits" available... Seems I need one before going into the catacombs in Paris, though... I also have an aug that hardens my skin to reduce inflicted damage... But I always forget to turn it on (F3) before rushing into a fight...

Carolus

Comment

• Originally posted by Nacht

Lots of time is an understatement, there is no time limit at all
                I think there was an incoming transmission from Tracer Tong saying I had 30 minutes ( ) to get out... I didn't hang around to verify it...

Having the MOHAA U-boat mission in fresh memory, I thought I was in for a similar ride...

Carolus

Comment

• Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Multiple human enemies are impossible in a straight fight.
                  I've tried some DXMP in between my SP sessions and what you say is very true... (The only experience of shooter MP I had prior to that was some Quake II at work...)

Wow... Complete chaos! Especially in games where augs were allowed...

A lot of stress! Sometimes I didn't even have the time to load up new weapons at the respawning points... I think I'm 15-20 years too old for shooter MP!

Carolus

Comment

• Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                    Although there is the little technicality that on most levels at Expert level, you fail the mission if anyone dies.
                    Yes, that's what I was referring to. I believe there's a level in the Gold version of Thief 1 where you can kill humans. (The level originally didn't have any, so they must have forgotten to add the restriction when they added the humans.) But otherwise I don't remember Expert missions that allow you to.

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
                    Same here. Riot prod from behind + stealth pistol between the eyes if they're not taken out directly with the prod...
                    BTW, a second hit with the prod usually takes them down, so long as the first one left them paralyzed and shaking.

I often try to take out People in Black with the riot prod. (If you don't know why, you apparently haven't killed one yet, and I'll let you find out yourself. )

Well, I hardly use any of the various "suits" available... Seems I need one before going into the catacombs in Paris, though... I also have an aug that hardens my skin to reduce inflicted damage... But I always forget to turn it on (F3) before rushing into a fight...
                    I was referring to the Aug, and it sounds like you did take the Ballistic protection rather than the EMP protection.

I've tried some DXMP in between my SP sessions and what you say is very true... (The only experience of shooter MP I had prior to that was some Quake II at work...)

Wow... Complete chaos! Especially in games where augs were allowed...
                    The only MP shooter I've played is a little Halo 2. I get slaughtered.

Comment

I often try to take out People in Black with the riot prod. (If you don't know why, you apparently haven't killed one yet, and I'll let you find out yourself. )
                      If you mean the guys who (like Anna Navarra) explode when dying... Yes, I've killed them with guns blazing... After my resurrection after our first encounter... Haven't used the prod on them, though...

Carolus

Comment

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I believe there's a level in the Gold version of Thief 1 where you can kill humans. (The level originally didn't have any, so they must have forgotten to add the restriction when they added the humans.) But otherwise I don't remember Expert missions that allow you to.
                        Off the top of my head, the final mission in Thief 2 allowed you to kill humans. And why not - they were doomed to death after your mission was complete anyway.

Comment

• Ah, my experience is currently limited to Thief Gold and the first few missions of Thief 2.

Carolus: If you stun People in Black instead of killing them, they don't explode, they just drop like a normal person. Useful if you want to sneak up on them and don't want to get killed, or if you're fighting them in a narrow space.

Comment

• Stop threadjacking!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

Stop threadjacking!
                              Who?

Fellas, no spoilers regarding Thief either... Please?

Carolus

Comment

• I agree, there are no Thief spoilers here.

Comment

Working...
                                X