This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackice,
    does all this assume, as you said, the ships are pre-SOL types ? did you try this strategy ? it sounds like it takes massive ressources compared to the situation you are in.
    Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
    O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

• Gav I'm not sure if it applies to you as you never venture in before sols.

Math Yes I have use this many times, you can apply it to land games also. As in the above conversation with Gav and Quinn. I did do this and applied the factories behind the scenes in a game with Quinn. (land) I won that one.

Yes resources it takes more of yours then there's where you are the one controlling the goods, mines and science of the opposing player. They are continuing to build city size, buildings and science while you are dormant, to some degree.

Yes Math but do not forget the "comfort zone" everyone has one. Very few players press early in the game. Most are satisfied with dominance and continue to build buildings and science. One forget's that once sol's are out in mass and or troops in mass science can be easly taken with the conquered city. So you soon catch up and in fact quickly begin to control the game and push your opponent into the defensive posture. Factories and mills can be easly had with the cashing in of a few unwanted older units. This is true especially if all cities produce these units at the same time or close. Rarely a turn goes by without a large defence and or offence. Once in position you can start a factory or two and supply a mass of troops to feed the building frenzy.

Remember it takes 3-1 on the average to win any battles in this game so again feel free to over produce troops. They can always be cashed in for buildings that make a difference.

Another example would be massed produced cannons when faced with troves of sols. As most say it can not be done I have done it more than once. This especially works well with early producers of sols. They have a hard time catching up with the cannon production especially where distance is a factor.

As you can see by this image from turn 99 on this was applied. From turn 108 ships were built with 3-1 in mind as was infra in all other cities. From 115 ships deployed and thse cities making ships became caravan producers. From that point on ifra and trade was applied. This pg will fall one turn then go right back up as the ifra and trade kick in. More over science will be fast as will growth.

Now especially in head to head matches where pg x3 is the rule this game was long over... Now how is that for a straight up pg. Smooth eh gav? Studying these turns I have saved over the years have shown me a few things, This being one of them, combine this with the ai strategy said earlier and sit back and watch your pg soar.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by blackice; May 13, 2004, 16:49.
      “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
      Or do we?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackice
        I did do this and applied the factories behind the scenes in a game with Quinn. (land) I won that one.
        Yes, I can attest to that loss. I remember, it was one of my very first games against a human player (if blackice is human) in 1999, I think, and a good lesson it was! Thanks for the lesson.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinns
          I remember, it was one of my very first games against a human player (if blackice is human) in 1999, I think, and a good lesson it was!
          CTP existed already in 1999 ?

Comment

• Quinn your dating us.
            “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
            Or do we?

Comment

• Are you saying that you blue PG went up like that building nothing but infra + SOL's? About how many cities infra? How many SOL's. what about land lock cities?
              If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Comment

• No sol's check none, infra and ships about 10 ships, cities 25 or so and then caravans. As I said this pg will stall then go right back up as caravans and infra and then sols make there way out. I may add the only reason that pg is dropping is because of the ships...

I used to play this way a lot, I am now trying to balance early growth with this. Gav and I just had game online, I used this and early caravans and rush buy with useless tiremes. I will beat him to commie by about 15 turns so it seems and at least 6 techs. Anyone playing Gav knows this to be quite the feat.

The next 15 turns will tell if it is worth it as growth is what I wait for now. Timming is all and my science is halted until the cities grow.

As the immortal "H" once said "until ren cities grow on thier own" So why build gold and science sucking structures when mills, markets, banks, infra and caravans are where it is at. The infra is the key to fast growth, gold and science.
                Last edited by blackice; May 13, 2004, 20:59.
                Or do we?

Comment

• Ok so it worked somewhat, I have a bug it is the "9" bug i'll call it. Anyone else experience science and pw that shows as 59 instead of 60 etc?
                  Or do we?

Comment

• i think there are some rounding errors in the pre-estimations.

Comment

• @filix
                      are you online now ?

@blackice
                      do you know how to play online with winXP if you dont have a proxy server (not over LAN) ?

Comment

• Math? A question.. do you EVER sleep! LOL
                        He's back after a fashion...

Comment

• ice, a friend and i are trying to play over LAN, or respectively play online using a LAN connection for our 2 computers.

Comment

• gary, could you please go to the nl server and tell me if you see my friend "Torsten" ? thanks

Comment

• nevermind

Comment

• Apologies!
                                He's back after a fashion...

Comment

Working...
                                X