Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gavrushka, Maquiladora is talking about CTP2, not CTP1. In CTP2 you can retreat during combat in the "battleview".
    Well it doesnt involve using the retreat option because you cant retreat in MP, you just close the battleview with the X in the top right. I cant describe the exact process (too many scotch and cokes!!) but its easily testable agains the AI.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• LOL!

understood

ICE WHERE ARE YOU!! we are all in NL server and no one can host and you have saves!
      He's back after a fashion...

Comment

• Good to see you here Maquiladora

It would be interesting if someone would test this in CtP1 and see if it happens.

Disbanding cities in PBEM is a tactic I do use if I am ahead in science and the city cannot be defended adequately as valuable techology can pass to the wrong hands

Comment

• In CTP if you close battleview (purely a visual demonstration of battle) the battle resolves.. SO no bug there..

Need far more strategy here...
          I need to discover a way of shaving time off my trip to commie, about 10 turns I reckon, to compete with the likes of Yoda..

In Land games I always relied on ruins and markets to supply science until I had about 30 cities then threw out masses of caravans quickly.. On Islands I do caravans (at 8 turns a caravan) between Aquaducts and Mills.. There has to be a better way.. I am wondering if concentrating on growing cities a bit more and getting more infra then building caravans quicker would speed process... 3 turns on max infra with advanced fisheries would get cities to size 4 working three mountain 1 advanced fishery would turn a caravan in what 4 or 5 turns pre mill??

Comment

• Ok study ai for that, notice they drop food and build with worker on mountain no food? You can build faster that way. So ya 3 on mines one fishery and your still growing but producing faster. Once done drop the mines for what was it 5 turns till you have size five city. Then back to mines for the quick build again. Should be good for caravan every 3-5 turns max same with sols.

In war just leave it on mines of course, cities will still grow. By then you should have two fisheries and four mines working for you.

One thing paul did ad here, heh not much more, is that if you produce at the same rate with this method and rush buying over all your civ grows and gains and produces faster.

From what I have seen studying paul's and especially Yoda's saves this seems to be norm for them. Several of the old players used this method too.

So let's look at this closely, we all poo poo the ai and beat the pants off them...But what did the game designers put in there? Obviously we have the one worker on mountain to pop out granaries and like the ai troops real fast, what else have we learned from the ai?
            They put you on the defensive fast, usually out produce you for at least 20 turns and set the pace of the game in the early stages, right?

The ai is mainly about production and troops and gold not much for settlers. I found mostly we laugh at the ai's positioning of cities but look again what do you see?
            Study the production factor of thier placements. We usually go for growth, gold worry about production when we have two sized cities.

But if you want maxed cities real early it my be wiser to mimic some ai technics at least for a few settler cities while you work on placement and maxed gold in say turn 10-20... If you notice it takes at least that or longer to put the ai in it's place. Dimytes posted this up a bit when he disected land vs gold vs production vs growth.

If you really think about it most of us beat the ai based on growth and science, but in the early game if you do not catch them right off the bat they can control a game for some time with thier troops and production of those troops. Combining those two idea's into one is a powerful strategy.

Try it on the ai some time and see how you do, I used to do this in the early part of my gaming and have recently gone back to it. It does work quite well and I have to say you should start seeing the ai going down much faster. The faster you can take them out the faster obviously you can take out an unprepared, no troop all science, gold, expansion junkie.
            Last edited by blackice; May 5, 2004, 23:42.
            “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
            Or do we?

Comment

• Good stuff!

Comment

• well, lets not forget that in the almost obligational difficulty level of Deity, the AIs start with 8000 gold, 2 settlers and 8 advances and probably some other bonusses. they can (and often do) easily rush buy city walls in their first 4 cities which makes it so much harder to take them out as soon as they could take us out if they wanted.

where is that detailed post from Dimytes, blackice ? i know he sent me an excel table, but i havent seen that dissection.
                Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
                O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

• Back a thread or two Math, I am sure, or was it in the challenges thread I'll find it unless Dimytes could repost it?

True math but keep in mind all those walls are a big drain on thier gold. As far as the bonuses go that is one of the challenges of taking them out early. All those troops you produce to do it go directly back into production. It's how to get to that point of early production.
                  “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                  Or do we?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackice
                    Back a thread or two Math, I am sure, or was it in the challenges thread I'll find it unless Dimytes could repost it?

True math but keep in mind all those walls are a big drain on thier gold. As far as the bonuses go that is one of the challenges of taking them out early. All those troops you produce to do it go directly back into production. It's how to get to that point of early production.
                    Attached Files
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• There is an example of a pg, pw using a combination of strategies but primarily the AI production growth method.

This pg will not stop or go down, it may level for a turn but not much more. Notice it started only about 17 turns ago... Bulding granaries in 3 turns average and caravans in about the same 3-4 turns. So I am at the sol stage now so 18 sols in 3 turns average for 18 cities.

The average city size btw is 2-3.

This is for all you beer drinkers

Last edited by blackice; May 6, 2004, 15:02.
                      Or do we?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackice

There is an example of a pg, pw using a combination of strategies but primarily the AI production growth method.

This pg will not stop or go down, it may level for a turn but not much more.

That's for all you beer drinkers

"HIRES" 4 U!!!"

disclaimer:
                        This is a mug of Hires/A & W/Barq's Root Beer.

It's sole intended purpose is to make you belch and get a sugar rush!

Peace

GT

(Thats a strategy for MP CTP..drink plenty..pull an "allnighter" and win by attrition..or "Survival of da fittest" )
                        This is due to being so energized you can sleep..

Another Working Method..tried & true from Grandpa Troll
                        Attached Files
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Your spamming every thread you go to troll...
                          So comment on the information to ligitimize your post ok?
                          Or do we?

Comment

• I suppose Blackice is referring to my post on Page 1.

©Dimytes 2004

Comment

• oh well. who reads page 1 anyway.
                              Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
                              O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gavrushka

In CTP if you close battleview (purely a visual demonstration of battle) the battle resolves.. SO no bug there..
                                Garry, did you test that in an Internet (online) game against a human opponent? Because there is where the bug is supposed to be in CtP2.

If you tested it in single player or even multiplayer but against AI then the battle should resolve as you mentioned, which is something I do know anyways and it suppose to work that way

Comment

Working...
                                X