X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to play multiplayer (3+) games?

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    Anyone know what good modern unit stacks are. I didn't notice it mentioned on this thread but on one of the previous challenge ladder threads Blackice and Mathemagician argued that tanks were vastly inferior to marine+fighter stacks.
    Blackice argued that marines+fighters are approximately as powerful in the modern age as pikeman/SOL stacks are in the renaissance age.
    I know that space planes are really important, and that marines work really well with them. What about other modern units? How do Fascists stack up? What do you build in the genetic age? How do you keep the space plane era from ending the game?

By this I mean, that games with...say...nukes legal, end the game once one or both players get nukes. The game will be pretty decisively decided after those players start using nukes because science dies. Do games extend past the space plane era, what are the important genetic age units/advances?

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    I was looking through some earlier posts on the challenge forum. They seem to sound like you can use multiple clerics to reduce the happiness of a city by a lot.

Is this true, I thought multiple soothsays didn't stack. Do they?

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    I ran like 5 or 6 tests, it wasn't enough to get anything conclusive. The randomness involved in the combat dominates. Its really hard to tell which is best.

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    Well I think its the 2 musket stack.

Leave a comment:

• quinns
    replied
    So who wins??!!

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    The cost is about the same as the 5 pike 4 cannon stack.

4 cannons do 40 * 6/9 damage to the pikes, killing 2 and 2/3rds of them. The musket plus cannon stack deals 20 * 4/7 + 20 * 6/9 damage, killing 2 and 1/2 of them. The front rows then duke it out with on average 1 pike being left on the cannon side with about 2 hp left. The stacks reorganize with the cannon stack containing 2 cannons in back, and 2 cannons and a pretty dead pike in front. The musket stack has 2 muskets in front and 2 cannons in back. The two cannons in back fire 20 * 6/10 dealing 12 damage to the muskets killing one and wounding another. The cannons in back of the musket stack waste the first cannon I think killing the pike and the second cannon deals 10 * 6/8 damage to the other cannon leaving it with 2.5 health.

The front stacks then fight the cannon with 2.5 health does an average of 1.25 damage before it dies leaving our musket with 6.75 health. The next cannon does 5 damage to the musket leaving it with 1.25 health. The stacks reorganize.

The cannon stack has 1 cannon in back and one in front, the musket stack has a mostly dead musket and 1 cannon in front and one in back. From here the average winner is trivial.

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    I think he's arguing that the best stack is 5 pike 2 musk, 2 cannon. I'm inclined to agree.

Leave a comment:

• quinns
    replied
    Good point, Rickety -- But I can build two pikemen for the price of one musketeer... That's 6 offense and 6 defense as compared to 4-4 for the same price. Granted you get get the longrange 4 from the musketeer as opposed to zero for the pike. But I bet that a 5 pike/4 cannon stack (cost 3510 production) is almost an even match for a 9 musketeer stack (cost 5400 production). The initial long range blast from the pike/cannon stack is 24 (= 4 x 6) whereas the initial longrange blast from the musketeer stack is 16 (= 4 x 4). The following rounds may make up for, or even exceed, that initial bonus but I'm not sure. It would be interesting to test!

Leave a comment:

• ricketyclik
    replied
    Originally posted by quinns View Post
    My preference is pikemen backed by cannons. I never use musketeers. I think the pikeman/cannon stack is the best pre-modern bang-for-the-buck.

I used to think that until quite recently, now I wonder about musketeers - they're much better than cannons when they move to the front to replace the felled pikemen.

Leave a comment:

• quinns
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnGalt137 View Post
    One thing I don't see mentioned here, but that the good players seem to talk about on some older threads (one of you go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong) but pikemen make better front-liners than musketeers. Musketeers often take twice as long to build than pikeman. But only a little stronger.
    My preference is pikemen backed by cannons. I never use musketeers. I think the pikeman/cannon stack is the best pre-modern bang-for-the-buck.

Leave a comment:

• quinns
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnGalt137 View Post
    Does anyone know what the optimum placement of citizens in science cities is?
    I don't know the "optimum". But I believe it depends on the current level of development of the city, and the population. What I do is put the citizens on production to build academy, publishing house, university -- maybe even rush buy a couple of the buildings -- then, after those are built, make all the citizens (except for a couple of farmers, just enough to feed the rest) scientists.
    Last edited by quinns; July 2, 2010, 14:26. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    Does anyone know what the optimum placement of citizens in science cities is?

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    One thing I don't see mentioned here, but that the good players seem to talk about on some older threads (one of you go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong) but pikemen make better front-liners than musketeers. Musketeers often take twice as long to build than pikeman. But only a little stronger.

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt137
    replied
    Based on some PBEM games I'm playing, I've noticed that the abolitionists are pretty strong, if you can find a city full of slaves with a relatively small garrison. The cost to start a revolution is far, far smaller than with the spy. Of course when you get low on gold their slave stealing is still pretty effective. They seem underused. But, maybe I don't know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X