No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You said the two worst defenses were in the Superbowl last year. Not even close. In terms of points allowed (not factoring garbage points, just total points), Pats were middle of the NFL. Not only not the worst, not near the worst.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
      Combo of comeback and Falcons' seeming inability to play 60 minutes of football.
      This. Falcons have relied on 3 quarters of football all season taking off the third in almost every game.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

You said the two worst defenses were in the Superbowl last year. Not even close. In terms of points allowed (not factoring garbage points, just total points), Pats were middle of the NFL. Not only not the worst, not near the worst.

According to Football Outsiders' metrics (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2011), the Patriots were 30th and the Giants were 19th in defensive DVOA
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• One can always find metrics to support one's point of view. Otherwise, half of those people wouldn't be in business.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

One can always find metrics to support one's point of view. Otherwise, half of those people wouldn't be in business.
            It is absurd that you think the 2011 Patriots had a good defense.

I understand you want to erase that season from your memory for how it ended but I remember analyst after analyst saying how bad their defense was and it was their Achilles heal. Brady had to score a ton of touchdowns because their defense couldn't stop anybody, especially through the air.

Devin McCourty and Kyle Arrington with James Ihedigbo at safety I remember Belichick was putting Julian Edelman and Matt Slater in the secondary

Why do you think McCourty switched positions and they brought in Talib? The 2011 defense was pathetic.

In fact, you can argue about garbage time but a great offense like the Patriots' hid the defense's flaws by keeping them rested, giving them long fields to defend, making opponents one-dimensional, and forcing opponents to play a bit recklessly. You put that defense on a more anemic offense and you'd have the Jacksonville Jaguars.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• do you ever forgive anyone? It must get tiresome having all that hate inside you. I'm sure I read somewhere something about forgiveness, but I don't recall where I read that....any idea Ben?
              There's an exception clause for the Patriots. And the Raiders. You don't have to love either of them - it's right there in teh catechism, "all those who adhere to Lord Hobo Bill and his disciples, are anathema.' Presumably this will be lifted once Hobo Bill leaves. It doesn't even list the Raiders among the 'teams Catholics can acceptably cheer for". Seriously - they aren't even there. Long, long, list - no Raiders.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Or Oakland.
                Can I get an a-men?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  While I know MtG can argue his own points fine, he never said this. In fact, he distinctly said it was middling. But I agree that there's no way to say it was the "worst" in the entire NFL in 2011.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• 2011 Final Stats: Patriots Defense Ranks 31st in the NFL
                    Pretty bad though.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Any given Sunday.

Not good. Good enough. Make enough critical stops at some point to keep the offense in control. Given salary cap levels in the NFL, you have to make tradeoffs. Do you think the Patriots could obtain or retain a shutdown corner with their salary structure geared towards the offense? Name some teams that are consistently dominant on both sides of the ball over multiple years in the NFL?

The Pats system works. Would you rather have Gronk, Hernandez and Welker as targets for Brady, or a shutdown secondary? Take the cap away, then see what happens.

Comment

• “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I was wondering when Imran was going to check in. Sorry for your loss, man.
                          Must've been hard to take, especially after the early 17-0 blitz.

Can't believe that either Kaepernick or effing Joe Flacco will get a Super Bowl ring this year.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Should be a good game.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I'll be rooting for San Fran, mostly because I'm an NFC guy, but also because of (ex-Bear) Jim Harbaugh, who showed some real stones in committing to Kaepernick as the team's missing link. I also firmly believe that he deliberately sandbags with Vernon Davis in his game-planning. Two straight years with Vernon mysteriously coming alive in the playoffs after a 'disappointing' season.

But my cynical side suspects that Ray Lewis will emotionally inspire another sub-par team to a Super Bowl win. I will sigh in (Ray's) resignation.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                                I was wondering when Imran was going to check in. Sorry for your loss, man.
                                Must've been hard to take, especially after the early 17-0 blitz.
                                After blowing a 20-0 lead last week. I mean, WTF... the 2nd half adjustments were horrible and the defensive game calling crap. Though, who knows, if Abraham was fully healthy it may have been completely different.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X