NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
    Why are you only talking about QBs? Doug Martin and Alfred Morris are tied at #3 for rushing yards. None of the three rookie QBs are in the top 3.
    An RB won't win rookie of the year this year. That's a fact.

Neither Martin nor Morris are where AP was at this point in his rookie of the year season. And AP had the benefit of nothing at QB to compete with. The only rookie QB that year to start at least 8 games was Trent Edwards. AP's only real competition for rookie of the year, at any position, was Marshawn Lynch who had 1115 yards rushing in only 13 games, around the production of Martin and Morris this year, though they're both healthy and looking to play all 16 games.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• So lets totally discount Rookie RBs because there are some good rookie QBs. Never mind the fact that one of the QBs has the #2 rusher deflecting attention away from him game after game. Further, lets forget about the fact that RG3 has the #3 rusher also garnering attention. Hell, when you factor in that info, Doug Martin, who everyone knows is just about the only offense in TB, looks to be an even stronger candidate.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

So lets totally discount Rookie RBs because there are some good rookie QBs. Never mind the fact that one of the QBs has the #2 rusher deflecting attention away from him game after game. Further, lets forget about the fact that RG3 has the #3 rusher also garnering attention. Hell, when you factor in that info, Doug Martin, who everyone knows is just about the only offense in TB, looks to be an even stronger candidate.
        You think an RB will win rookie of the year in a season like this? Hell, why not an offensive lineman?

And a pure defender will win a Heisman?
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• No, I don't. I think Wilson will win. I'm just trying to figure out why you're automatically discounting 2 great rookie seasons that wern't expected.
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Seahawks up 58-0. And this was a team the Jets barely eeked past?

Giants put up 52 on the Saints so far

Comment

No, I don't. I think Wilson will win. I'm just trying to figure out why you're automatically discounting 2 great rookie seasons that wern't expected.
              Doug Martin was expected. I have him on all my non-Apolyton fantasy teams. I wasn't going out on a limb to expect him to be a special player.

Alfred Morris was out of left field, though.

If we're talking unexpected then Russell Wilson has this on lock. He emerged in the preseason and hasn't looked back but this is a guy who fell to the 3rd round because he's too short.

Comment

• Hey I thought Wilson would blow them out. I was half right. Third greatest buttwhupping ever in NFL history.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Yeah, I was gunna say Martin wasn't really a huge surprise (I don't think he was predicted to be in the top 5 though).

Comment

• The offensive ROY is between Luck and RG3. They've both taken crap teams and made them competitive, they were drafted #1 and #2 overall, and QB is the glamor position. While one might argue that draft slot and position shouldn't matter, the simple fact is that both do.

Frankly, I see it as a tossup. While my vote would probably go to Griffin, I think the award will go to Andrew Luck. Turning the putrid mess that was Indy 2011 into a 2012 playoff team, including a win against Green Bay, is pretty amazing. (OK, they need one more win, but they get KC in between their two shots at the Texans.)
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
                      19-0 baby, you hear it here first.
                      Don't drink the hateraide.
                      Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
                      You've always been able to make me laugh Spaced. They arn't even going to be the best team in Texas, let alone 19-0.
                      Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      Care to make a little wager, Bucksnort, Jr. ?
                      Certainly, what did you have in mind ?
                      (assuming I am the "bucksnort jr" you are referring to)
                      Oh, you definitely are. How about a crisp one dollar bill? Nothing fancy like DanS gave me; just a simple crisp dollar bill, with a signature on it noting what a great mind I (or you) have.
                      I agree to the bet and the terms ...just not positive of the details
                      Being a Canadian, my crisp $1 is a shiny coin afectionately known as a Loonie (I would sign one if I could, but it might be difficult). However, I could probably get ahold of an American $1 bill, and would enjoy defacing it much more anyway I assume the country the $1 comes from won't matter that much anyway?
                      So our bet is which team from Texas finishes with a better record?
                      I am good with that one. For what it's worth, I like Houston's chances this year, if Schaub, Foster and Johnson all stay healthy (and I realize that's asking a lot) I think they have an awesome offense, and if the defense is anything like last year, they could win a lot of lopsided games this season (and given their division as compared to the Cowboys.....I really like their chances).
                      Houston has a very decent team. I in no way count this as a sure thing for me. So we're on. Good luck, just not TOO much, to you.
                      I will have to make sure I don't tell my step daughter's fiance about this bet, he is a Cowboy's fan, and I might not get a wedding invite if he finds out
                      Good luck, I think this will give me another reason to enjoy the season
                      He can't be all bad,I can tell.
                      Houston Texans 11-1 with 4 games to play = Worst possible 11-5
                      Dallas Cowboys 7-6 with 3 games to play = Maximum possible 10-6

Looks like all that is left is to tell you where to send the winnings Sloww!
                      Unless you’d like to go double or nothing on who goes further in the Playoffs?
                      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• And it looks like Robo AJ is going to be making the picks next year. *sigh*.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Can you just say what you mean? "Robo AJ"?? Who or what is that?

What I'm hearing is that AJ Smith and Norv Turner are both gone. Isn't that what you wanted?
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            Probably Luck, his teams going to the Playoffs.
                            Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                            Wilson, RGIII and Morris might as well.
                            Interesting thing to consider...

Colts:
                            9-4
                            PF: 292
                            PA: 329
                            Net: -37

Redskins:
                            7-6
                            PF: 343
                            PA: 329
                            Net: +14

Interesting that they have allowed the exact same number of points but the Redskins have a positive point differential and the Colts' is negative.

I'm not going to spend time calculating their strengths of schedule but eye balling it, it is obvious the Colts have the easier schedule:

In order of my personal general gist of strength of opponent:
                            Chiefs, Jaguars x2, Bills, Titans x2, Browns, Lions, Dolphins, Jets, Vikings, Bears, Packers, Patriots, Texans x2

Redskins, the same:
                            Eagles x2, Panthers, Browns, Rams, Bengals, Saints, Cowboys x2, Bucs, Vikings, Steelers, Ravens, Giants x2, Falcons

The Redskins played better teams.

Comment

• Luck leads the league in INTs, by the way.

I don't want it to get misconstrued that I think that Luck is bad. He's not. He's just throwing a ton which inflates his raw numbers. He plays a high risk/high reward offense which matches up with how most of the all-time greats play. RG3 and Wilson are more of the Steve Young mold of not having the gaudy numbers but being incredibly efficient. They're not dinking and dunking either. Both those QB's have a higher yards per attempt than Luck to go along with their 60+% completion rate and rare interceptions. Throw in RG3's prodigious running and it's evident that he's the better play-maker.

I don't value a guy throwing 40 times a game for 300 yards 2 TDs and 2 picks. I'd much rather have the guy making the plays that matter and bringing value to the team's chances for victory every single time he drops back, even if he only throws it 25 times a game. 25 interception-less and all productive drop backs are better than 40 with picks and bad decisions mixed in.

RG3's only mistake he's made all season has been to not slide. Even his fumbles lead to TDs. Luck has made his fair share of mistakes and miscues. I understand Luck is the one put in the position to shoulder the burden of the offense and that will inevitably lead to mistakes, even for veterans, but when all is said and done, RG3 is far more efficient.

#2 in QB rating behind only Aaron Rodgers. Luck is #29 between Locker and Weeden. That is just too big of a disparity to ignore and it is magnified by the fact that QB rating does not account for RG3's rookie record rushing yards.
                              Last edited by Al B. Sure!; December 9, 2012, 23:01.

Comment

• Lovie Smith in Dec. and Jan. regular season:

2004 - 1-3 0-1
                                2005 - 3-1 0-1
                                2006 - 4-1
                                2007 - 2-3
                                2008 - 3-1
                                2009 - 2-2 1-0
                                2010 - 3-1 0-1
                                2011 - 0-4 1-0
                                2012 - 0-2

18-18 overall in Dec. and 2-3 overall in Jan. so 20-21 overall. Next week a must win to get back into it. A loss means wins in Arizona and Detroit and maybe not even ten wins would get them in playoffs. Not looking good esp. if they keep playing like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X