No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League III-- Olympic edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It neither bothers me, nor does it appear--given my absolutely dreadful performance so far--that it'll be of any consequence to me personally.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

So Luongo starts vs Norway, Brodeur vs Switzerland. Vs USA is up in the air (the first real start...)

Lines per Bob McKenzie:
      Nash-Crosby-Bergeron
      Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
      Toews-Richards-Iginla
      Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
      Morrow.

(Nash and Staal could switch)

Powerplay units:
      Richards-Crosby-Nash;
      Perry-Getzlaf-Staal;
      Marleau-Thornton-Heatley

Pronger-Doughty;
      Boyle-Weber
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'd read earlier that it was Morrow-Toews-Iginla.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

This was from McKenzie's twitter 'bout an hour ago.

I imagine they'll change a lot, though.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I read TSN this afternoon. McKenzie's later info is probably more accurate.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Starting lineups for team Finland vs Belarus:

Offensive lines:
              Tuomo Ruutu-Mikko Koivu-Valtteri Filppula.

Jere Lehtinen-Saku Koivu-Teemu Selänne.

Niklas Hagman-Olli Jokinen-Antti Miettinen.

Jarkko Ruutu-Niko Kapanen-Ville Peltonen.

Jarkko Immonen (extra)

Defense:
              Kimmo Timonen-Sami Salo.

Joni Pitkänen-Lasse Kukkonen.

Toni Lydman-Sami Lepistö.

Janne Niskala 7th.

Goalies:
              Miikka Kiprusoff, Niklas Bäckström and Antero Niittymäki.

Now, it's an OK team, I like our defense a lot. Last time we had too many Pitkänen-like defense guys who goes to the offensive with the difference that they lose the puck and provide turn overs for the opposing teams too much and in short they should not have been in the defense to begin with if they want to carry the puck so much. I like our goalies, I do think it's the best in the games.

Our offensive lines aren't so great, they can put up a fight but are not comparable to the best in these games. First two lines are OK, but I'm afraid our best line will be the first line and it will have to do lots of defending against better teams. I like our third line as a surprise giving one, but it should have had Jussi Jokinen from Carolina instead of Miettinen. 4th line is just plain bad. I like Ruutu, but regardless, we can't come up with 4 solid lines. I would have preferred to see perhaps a younger lineup, as in let's get the young ones in who are in NHL for their first 3 years max as of now or something like that. It's the Olympics. The idea is to win but it's not the whole life.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Here is my prediction:

Gold: Canada
                Silver: Russia
                Bronze: Finland or Sweden

for our team, it all comes down to how defensive we have to get in the semi-finals. If we have to play against Sweden, it's 50/50. If against Canada, I think we have a fair chance, in the finals I think Canada wins. Against Russia, I think we have worst chances in semis against them. We just have to keep the game tight and Kipper has to be hot. ON paper, I think team Canada is easily the best. I like all lines, they are all very good, where we have to play zero sum game with two lines and hope to score with the other two; hope is not a strategy. Hope that Kipper keeps us in the game at least all the way to the 3rd period and then just win with PP or some other way. That's why my prediction is what it is. We have faired well against better teams in these Olympic games and World Cup as of lately, my only worry for early exit is Russia. Somehow we seem to beat USA almost every time, Sweden is 50/50, Russia and Canada is a different story though and has to involve some luck and a hot goalie.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka View Post
                  Here is my prediction:

Gold: Canada
                  Silver: Russia
                  Bronze: Finland or Sweden

for our team, it all comes down to how defensive we have to get in the semi-finals. If we have to play against Sweden, it's 50/50. If against Canada, I think we have a fair chance, in the finals I think Canada wins. Against Russia, I think we have worst chances in semis against them. We just have to keep the game tight and Kipper has to be hot. ON paper, I think team Canada is easily the best. I like all lines, they are all very good, where we have to play zero sum game with two lines and hope to score with the other two; hope is not a strategy. Hope that Kipper keeps us in the game at least all the way to the 3rd period and then just win with PP or some other way. That's why my prediction is what it is. We have faired well against better teams in these Olympic games and World Cup as of lately, my only worry for early exit is Russia. Somehow we seem to beat USA almost every time, Sweden is 50/50, Russia and Canada is a different story though and has to involve some luck and a hot goalie.
                  I cannot dispute those predictions but if you put Russia first I would have a tough time disputing that either. THis tournament will be simply crazy. It seems every team has a bona fide star NHL goalie, if not 2 or 3.

Team Russia-- Apart from the best offensive players I have every seen assembled, its actually Bryzgalov in net that scares me. I know that Nabokov is widely considered to be their #1 but he doesn't frighten me as much. While I have often seen him play well I just haven't seen him shut things down the same (perhaps with Russia he will not need to). But I have watched a few Phoenix games and Bryzgalov has been downright thieving games. Overall this is a team where if their goalie is the best in the tournament they win gold and they could win it if the goaltender is merely pretty good.

Team Canada-- The deepest team with their share of size and skill as well. I think they picked correctly this time in focusing on younger players mainly but still wonder about those left behind. I still wonder how a 2nd team Canada might do, led by Stamkos, St Louis, Lecavalier, Green, Boumeester and on and on-- IN any event, Canada is another team that I think absolutely wins gold if their goalie is the best around and could win if the goalie is emrely pretty good

Team Sweden--Defending champs-- Not as deep in goal as some teams but Lundeqvist might be all they need if the Sedins can continue their NHL play on the world stage and Lidstrom can be . .. well Lidstrom. Anyone that thinks this team isn't a real threat is deluded.

Team Finland-- Pekka analyzed them and I have to agree that they are probably second tier in this tournament. To me that means they can win the tourney if their goalie is superlative but its not likely otherwise. Lots of solid players but lacks the flash of the three teams above

I'll look at the rest later
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yeah, there's always room for a deeper analysis, but it comes down to few fundamentals if you ask me, and that's why I place Canada #1. They have pressure, but they also focus on fundamental things the best. We try to do that, but aren't so good at it yet. The whole mentality thing is embedded in this team Canada, and that's why it's going to win. For example, if we were to play against them, we would have to dominate the center of the ice the whole 3 periods in order to win. Not impossible, but very very difficult. We could do that for the first 2 periods. Let's say we come up with superior strategy and for some reason score 3 goals in the first 2 periods, 2 of them on PP. OK, so now what? Third period, our team is under pressure and just tries not to lose, this is when we lose the center of the ice, and we can't get the momentum back, whereas Canada can get the momentum back at any moment of the game and score fast, turn the game and the opposing team never recovers. It just takes like Nash to steal the puck once deep in the zone and do that nasty accurate wrist shot and that's it. The reason I hate Nash so much... but would LOVE to have him on my team any time. He's like an ******* you hate, but it's mostly because he puts the hurt on your team and luck has nothing to do with it.

Addition to Russia's outlook, the team is infamously known to lack in performance despite the stars in the team. So should the mental aspect fail, they might not even make it past the semis. Then again, it IS a team with potential to even win the whole tournament. You never know. In my opinion, this team has the most skilled players in terms of individual skills.

Also about Sweden, not sure how well Sedins will do. Also goalie game changes a lot from time to time, even though good goalies is what they have. But sometimes unpredictable. They need stability.

I think Finland has good defense but relies too much on it. I think it fairs well against anyone in this aspect, but when it comes to offensive power, it's one of the worst ones. We have to rely on that there will be one or two players who will be on fire and score, and that's just not a strategy at all, where as Canada for example or Russia, any player can do that and just be on, no fire needed.

For USA, Luongo has to continue what he's been doing, or else they're doomed. I don't know why, but I would expect USA to come up with more success in these types of tourneys. And if you ask me, the WC back in the days, Hull definitely used a high stick to score the winning goal against Canada in the finals. I still remember it very well.... it was cheap!
                    In da butt.

Comment

Luongo is a Canuck.

Comment

For USA, Luongo has to continue what he's been doing, or else they're doomed.
                        USA has some kid named Ryan Miller. You may have heard of him.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I know two Ryan Millers IRL. What an original name he has.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            I know two Ryan Millers IRL. What an original name he has.
                            Would you believe me if I said that I meant Miller, not Luongo? I just knew that USA's goalie has been running hot.... or then Luongo has to apply for a new citizenship. So, American's chances rely on how fast their immigration offices work.
                            In da butt.

Comment

I just thought it was funny in the middle of all that analysis.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Alexandre Burrows breaks Canada's 6-period Olympic goal drought!

Iginla's playing with Crosby and Nash. **** that's dangerous.

Crosby, Iggs, and Nash

Comment

Working...
                                X