AHL- Apolyton Hockey League III-- Olympic edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka View Post
    Germany is kind of like Belarus in strategy, except better. They just play trap and few better players. .
    The reality for the lesser teams is that they simply don't have the skill level of the better teams. Since you can coach defence, these teams will be reasonably solid and play disciplined defensive systems. Germany looked very good defensively and did get shots but they weren't that creative or skilled offensively. I'll actually be curious to see how they do against Belarus and might take a peek at that game just to see if they can show more offense against a lesser opponent.

I was unsurprised to see the Czechs beat the Slovaks. I expected them to be fairly evenly matched and from what I saw, Voukoun was the difference as the Czechs did get out shot something like 35-21 . This was probably the first game of the tournament where the result wasn't fairly obvious beforehand.

Since everyone moves on the game is immaterial in some ways though except as to who you play enroute to the medals- third place in group B should be seeded somewhere from 7-9.(I know other seedings are possible if three teams go 2-1 in a pool or if there are overtime losses etc etc but Iam going with the likliest scenarios ) That gets you a third or 4th place pool finisher in the qualifier game (should be a win) and then the first or second seed in the quarters (ie the toughest road to the medals).
    Last edited by Flubber; February 18, 2010, 13:01.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Any idiot can play with the Sedins right now and look like a star (see Alex Burrows).
      They seem to be missing him, so clearly that's not true.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Doesn't matter who the competition was, he was the best player on the ice in the game. That says a lot seeing as who was on the ice with him.
        It tells me that Calgary needs to schedule more games against peewee teams.

Just admit it. You were very wrong when you mentioned he shouldn't be on the team.
        Because he got a hattrick against Norway? Call me when crunch time comes around.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It tells me that Calgary needs to schedule more games against peewee teams.
            You keep missing the point. Everyone on Team Canada played the same team, you fool.

Iginla has always played very, very well in the Olympics. He not only made the team, he was given an "A" on his jersey, too.

He was the best player in the game they played, regardless of the opposition. Man up, Ben, man up.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Have you ever played?

When you play the weak sisters, you play your weaker players so that they get a chance to feel confident, once you have the game well in hand.

When crunch time comes around and you play good teams, then you get a chance to see who the top dogs truly are on a squad.

Comment

ben can you try to NOT be fantastically stupid. I don't care about the Burrows fight with Asher that much but

1. Players can have an off or bad game that has nothing to do with their linemate.

2. Although instand chemistry can occur, its more common to take a game or two

3. Daniel Sedin had 3 points over his last 7 NHL games (all assists), Over the same 7 games Henrik had 2 assists and Burrows had a goal and and assist so ya those Sedin guys guys were really tearing it up and have been really hampered by their new linemates

The Sedins are elite players no doubt but they were slumping going into the Olympics so it seems particularly idiotic to say they are "missing their linmate" as an explanation for a lack of offensive production, PARTICULARLY SINCE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A SINGLE GAME IN THE OLYMPICS.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Have you ever played?

When you play the weak sisters, you play your weaker players so that they get a chance to feel confident, once you have the game well in hand.
                  So you think Crosby and Nash -- Iginla's linemates -- are weaker players?

****, you are amazingly stupid.

Comment

so it seems particularly idiotic to say they are "missing their linmate" as an explanation for a lack of offensive production
                    So why then is Iginla's sudden production against Norway not considered a fluke too?

I'm inclined to agree with you here, that things are far too early to be making concrete conclusions on either team. I've already said so earlier.

Comment

So you think Crosby and Nash -- Iginla's linemates -- are weaker players?

****, you are amazingly stupid.
                      I think we need more than one game to have this Canadian team figured out. But have away at that.

I'll bet straight up with you that Iginla doesn't get a hattrick next game. You up for it?

Comment

I don't know what's going on, but I agree, weaker players can shine against weaker teams, but I don't see how Iginla would be considered a weak player??

Was there someone else who didn't make the cut because of Iginla?
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Alexander Burrows proved that he was the superior player so far this season. And yes, he was cut, despite out producing Iginla.

Comment

Have you ever played?

I have played-- quite a bit actually. Never at an elite level but I did play on all-star type teams and can tell you that you are full of crap again.

When a team is thrown together in a short period and has important games coming very soon, your primary focus is to find the good matchups-- line combinations. You don't focus on the weaker players on your team since the main idea is that you want to get your top two lines going and going fast. Against a weaker opponent, sure,you can AFFORD more ice time for your 3rd and 4th lines but (unlike an NHL team facing an 82 game schedule and which has a year of practices) you will keep throwing the line combinations you THINK you will use at "crunch time" out there.

Do you really think that team canada is more concerned about the confidence of any NHL superstar( who might have 4th line status on this team) than they are about getting their best lines functioning well?

Oh and if you were talking about Iggy "needing confidence" thats ludicrous and Iggy was moved on the line with Crosby and Nash I believe when the score was 0-0 so the game was no more well in hand than it had been at game start.

When crunch time comes around and you play good teams, then you get a chance to see who the top dogs truly are on a squad.
                            I agree . Team Canada is loaded with talent but if you want to see who the coaches really value you will see who plays late in the game when the team is up or down by one . This could change somewhat game by game depending on who is playing well. Based on game one Iggy looks "hot" and would be an obvious choice if you need a goal.

Comment

I've played against all-star teams in Soccer. It was routinely considered the best game of the season, the all-stars versus the defending champion. My job was to shut down whatever forward they came out to start.

And yes, at least that coach routinely put out his weaker squad until he got a few goals down.

When we played league games, we'd go up a few goals and then put on all the scrubs on offense. The only thing that kept us from winning three years away is when our starting defense went down on the other side in the playoffs, and we were upset.

The idea was to get everyone involved, and to rest up the players who would be needed later. The end result is that everyone was very productive not just the stars, because they all got decent starting time.

My coach only did that for forwards though. Midfield and defense were on as long as he could run it. He'd run 5 wide and put everybody out at forward to try to get a quick lead.

Comment

I think we need more than one game to have this Canadian team figured out. But have away at that.

I'll bet straight up with you that Iginla doesn't get a hattrick next game. You up for it?
                                No, he probably won't score a hattrick next game. That's a retarded bet.

The point is you said he shouldn't be on the team. He was the best player on the team in the first game. You were wrong.

It's as simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                                X