Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL Offseason Thread -- Vancouver Edition (NHL Offseason / NHL Golf Tourney)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharks fire Ron Wilson

SAN JOSE PARTS WAYS WITH COACH RON WILSON

The San Jose Sharks have fired head coach Ron Wilson.

The Sharks announced on Tuesday that Wilson's tenure with the club was over and that they would start looking for a replacement immediately.

"Ron helped foster a new era in San Jose Sharks hockey with some record-setting regular season performances," said general manager Doug Wilson in a release. "However, ultimately we have decided that it is time for a different voice and a different approach to lead this team."

The Sharks won the Pacific Division for the second time in club history in 2007/08 but were eliminated by the Dallas Stars in the Western Conference Semifinals.

"In most ways I was shocked when Doug told me, but in some ways I guess I was not surprised," Ron Wilson told THE CANADIAN PRESS. "When it happens when you don't expect it, you're disappointed. I can honestly say that I couldn't be prouder of my work here. I think our team's record speaks for itself. Obviously we didn't win a Stanley Cup while I was here. I'm disappointed in that as any coach would be."

Wilson became the sixth head coach in Sharks' history on December 4, 2002. He holds club coaching records for wins (206), winning percentage (.535) and postseason games coached (52). The Sharks put together a 206-134-45 record in the regular season and a 28-24 playoff record with Wilson behind the bench.

"Even though coaching can be a very callous and negative position, my staff and I poured my heart and soul into this," Ron Wilson told THE CANADIAN PRESS. "It's very difficult to talk about this unemotionally."

Over his career Wilson has coached the San Jose Sharks, Washington Capitals and Anaheim Ducks, compiling a record of 518-446-127 over his 1,091 games. He coached the Capitals to the Stanley Cup Final during the 1997-98 season but Washington was swept by the Detroit Red Wings.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Please someone, tell me I am crazy! I went to see the movie "Prince Caspian" tonight (Chronicles of Narnia, part II) and know I recognize the guy playing the leader of the Centaur, and have convinced myself (after puzzling over it through a good portion of the movie) that it was George Laraque.

But having watched the credits and doing multiple internet searches now that I am home, I can find nothing, so it appears I am wrong.

Can anyone either confirm or correct me? (and no, I don't mind looking stupid! )

/me
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Doesn't look like it

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The Leafs have apparently offered Ron Wilson the head coaching job.

****ing great, put one of my most-hated coaches on one of my most-hated teams. Now I've got to see the ugly ****'s face daily for years.

Comment

Embrace the Leafs, Asher! They need true hockey fans like you...
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Apparently, the Leafs need the Love Guru.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I'd die a happy man if the Leafs kept working this way for the next 60-80 years.
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Phaneuf is the NHL '09 cover athlete:

Phaneuf EA Sports' cover boy
                  Herald News Services
                  Published: Monday, June 09, 2008

Dion Phaneuf got his landmark recognition this week.

No, not the Norris Trophy. The Calgary Flames star defenceman vies for that prestigious bauble Thursday night in Toronto at the National Hockey League's awards party. (Detroit Red Wings ace Nicklas Lidstrom is favoured to edge out Phaneuf and Boston Bruins brute Zdeno Chara, the other short-listed finalist.)

Rather, Phaneuf's big news is of the new-school variety.

He'll be gracing the cover of the EA Sports NHL 2009 video game.

Here are EA Sports' past poster boys -- Eric Lindros (1999), Chris Pronger (2000), Owen Nolan (2001), Mario Lemieux (2002), Jarome Iginla (2003), Dany Heatley (2004), Markus Naslund (2005), Vincent Lecavalier (2006) and Alex Ovechkin (2007).

SI.com did note one, uh, interesting aspect -- "The 'Madden Curse' originally began as an EA Sports curse, notably in its NHL series, after Lindros appeared on the cover of NHL '99."

What is known, however, is that, for defencemen at least, Phaneuf is the (scowling) face of pro hockey's future.

The 23-year-old skated in the 2008 NHL all-star game. He amassed 194 hits -- only five rearguards collected more. He recorded 60 points -- only four rearguards collected more. Sealing his reputation as an agitator extraordinaire, he got nailed with 182 penalty minutes -- no rearguards collected more.

On top of all that, Phaneuf got re-upped in spectacular fashion this past winter, signing a six-year contract extension worth $39 million US.

They even motion-captured his walk and showed it off on the trailer for NHL 09:

Comment

Is it considered good for a star player like Phaneuf to have so many penalty minutes? I always thought that was something you were supposed to not get as a star (compared to the brutes who were in there for the purpose of getting penalty minutes in fights and such).
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Is it considered good for a star player like Phaneuf to have so many penalty minutes? I always thought that was something you were supposed to not get as a star (compared to the brutes who were in there for the purpose of getting penalty minutes in fights and such).
                      It's good or bad. Phaneuf is one of the best agitators in the game right now.

Just ask the Edmonton and Vancouver fans.

That said, I'd like for him to cut down his "stupid penalty" count. He's got a bit of a temper.

The writeup did a poor job of capturing why he's a star player, I thought. Reading the list, he's "#5 in here, #6 here.. etc" makes him sound ordinary.

He's known mostly for his shot and is hard, open ice hits. A Hockey News poll put him as the hardest hitter in the league last year. He does everything very well, and he's fun to watch.

Lidstrom's a better d-man right now, but he's stellar not because of his superstar-like presence, but his steadiness. And that's not really that exciting to fans.

Comment

The exciting part is when he gets to pick up that big silver cup thingy...

Comment

Some day.

Comment

You aren't also a Cubs fan by chance, are you?

Comment

My brother is. Very much so.

Comment

Excellent.

EA Sports is the John Madden of Hockey.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X