Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL Offseason Thread -- Vancouver Edition (NHL Offseason / NHL Golf Tourney)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Offseason Thread -- Vancouver Edition (NHL Offseason / NHL Golf Tourney)

Dave Nonis, GM of Vancouver, <b>FIRED</b>.

Reported just now on CBC.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Understandable, but not expected.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Now who's going to draft for Vancouver?

Maybe they could see if Linden wants to be a GM.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Maybe Burke will come back. Not totally out of the realm of possibility.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Why would he come back to that ****fest?

Comment

!!

Nashville scores 9 seconds apart!

Went from 3-2 Detroit to 4-3 Nashville!

Few minutes left!

Comment

Nashville
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Meant to post that in the other thread. This is the off-season one.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  Understandable, but not expected.
                  All true but word on local sports radio here is that Nonis was sacked mainly for failing to get a scorer at the deadline this year--- but at the same time the Canucks ownership were very involved in telling him not to trade away prospects-- so he didn't really have a free hand (and its not like good scorers are generally given away)

Bottom line is they missed the playoffs but just barely and their defense WAS decimated with injury-- so it strikes me as a little unfair-- I probably would have given the guy and the team he built one more year-- See if he could pick up a scorer in the off-season--- Maybe he could pick up Huselius
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Does anyone else hope that Brian Burke doesn't go anywhere? Stupid TV stations hoping that Vancouver or Toronto will hire him
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I'm with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

All true but word on local sports radio here is that Nonis was sacked mainly for failing to get a scorer at the deadline this year--- but at the same time the Canucks ownership were very involved in telling him not to trade away prospects-- so he didn't really have a free hand (and its not like good scorers are generally given away)

Bottom line is they missed the playoffs but just barely and their defense WAS decimated with injury-- so it strikes me as a little unfair-- I probably would have given the guy and the team he built one more year-- See if he could pick up a scorer in the off-season--- Maybe he could pick up Huselius
                        Beyond unfair, but fairness has little to do with it.

Idiotic on the part of the new owners would be more accurate.

Nonis was/is not a bad GM. In case anyone failed to notice, trading of big names is way down lately. You need to pay more attention to building prospects and Nonis seemed to be able to do that.

He did come out on the better end of one of the major trades of the last few years, and he seemed to be a frontrunner for one of the bigger free agent signings from Europe recently.

The jist of what I've heard that makes sense is that the new owners are very hands on with their new toy. Nonis wasn't their boy and he failed to say yes enough for their liking. This bodes very ill for the prospects of one of the longer suffering franchises.

I'd feel bad for them, but they are divisional rivals of the Oilers. I'm still not celebrating even though by all rights I should be. It has all the makings of a very sad story for Canucks fans.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Gosh, thanks asher for the thread, I just found out today about the firing of Nonis.

Couple of points here.

I completely agree with NYE that the Aquilinis wanted their man in this year. Naslund's contract is up. They have significant cap space. They have depth on the farm, and they have probably the best defense in terms of the top 7 men in the entire league, as well as the best goaltender.

All these are arguments for keeping Nonis on for his last year of his contract and resigning him for another two years.

He's addressed historical problems with the Canucks, he has drafted well and we've become much better since he's been here.

After 2004, we knew the team needed significant rebuilding in order to be successful. That usually means several years out of the playoffs. We would have finished out of the playoffs in 2006-7 without Luongo's incredible improvement over the last half of the season under Vigneault.

However, I think the Nonis and Vigneault era is done. They were never more then 'transitional' coach and a GM. The Canucks needed a rebuilding period, and this coming year will be the last one. We will get rid of Naslund and the last of the Burke era, and will have the cap space to renew the forwards entirely.

What this means is that the Canucks squad needs a new system, rather then Nonis. A new GM and a new coach. We need to shift from stocking up prospects and building up depth to making the bold and decisive moves needed to get the team over the hump.

Yes, Nonis was a good GM. Yes he did a good job with the Canucks for the period, the same way the Vigneault's system worked much better while he was here. Did he deserve to be fired? No. Will the Canucks be better off with him gone? It depends on who they hire.

I'm going to reserve my opinion on this move until I see who Aquilini hires. You have to remember NYE, that this team FINALLY has local ownership again, and they no longer are owned by Orca Bay. So we can FINALLY ditch the stupid whale logos put out by McCaw.

The second thing, is it depends on what Nonis told Acquilini earlier. Now, let's say Nonis comes to Acqilini, and Nonis told him that the plan was to keep Naslund and Morrison, but resign Naslund for less. Then he would let the younger players, Naslund, Burrows, Kesler, Shannon, Raymond and Hanson, along with the Sedins grow into their positions.

A fine plan.

However, does that really translate into success next year, or more of the same? Fans here in Vancouver are sick and tired of the Vigneault crap system.

We want the old run and gun of the past and now we have the goalie and the defense to make it happen. Now, we just need the top talent, rather then 3 number 2 lines on the team.

To sum it up,

we are ok with WINNING ugly, just don't LOSE ugly.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm still not celebrating even though by all rights I should be
                            I'll take this as a sign, that you don't really mind the Canucks staying pat, rather then making some bold moves.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

See if he could pick up a scorer in the off-season--- Maybe he could pick up Huselius
                              Huselius wouldn't fix the problems with this offense.

Let me make it clear to you.

Linden was the top offensive scorer in the playoffs last year.

Last ten games, there were no points by either Sedin. The only line that was scoring was the linden line and the Kesler line.

The Sedins have had two years to prove they are top line offensive talent. 29 goals from Daniel is unacceptable. They have failed.

We need a true first line. That means some bold moves in the offseason this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X