Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL Offseason Thread -- Vancouver Edition (NHL Offseason / NHL Golf Tourney)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was grinding my teeth writing that one.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      Edit-

TSN is jumping the gun.

They haven't decided yet.
      It's official today. Neener neener neener.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Apparently Gillis was the douche behind the Nylander fiasco.

As outlined in a team issued statement last summer, the Oilers reported they had a standard players contract for Michael Nylander not only agreed to, but confirmed and signed by Gillis, Nylander's agent.

However, while the Oilers were expecting the returned, signed agreements from Nylander and Gillis, news broke that Nylander had subsequently signed a long-term contract with the Washington Capitals.

Edmonton considered legal recourse, but later dropped the fight to focus on the season.

The memories of that experience are still very vivid for Lowe, who chose his words carefully when asked to comment on the Canucks new GM. “We haven't done many deals with Vancouver, although Dave Nonis and I had many conversations,” Lowe noted. “I suspect we won't be doing any in the future."

Lowe says the Nylander debacle could have been avoided by a simple phone call at the time acknowledging the player had changed his mind and the process was out of Gillis's control. According to Lowe, Gillis acted “unprofessionally” and “unethically,” adding he likely won't be able to deal with the Canucks new manager because of his lack of trust. “A lot of deals are done based on honesty and trust. He (Gillis) is going to be in tough earning trust. To orchestrate a trade, you have to have that trust going in.”

Gillis says he did call Lowe to explain Nylander's decision to turn from Edmonton to Washington, but admits the 15 minute phone conversation may not have happened as quickly as the Oilers GM would have liked. " I wish he felt differently. It was a terribly awkward situation," Gillis told tsn.ca shortly after being named the Canucks general manager. "I explained to Kevin I wasn't making the decision at the time. I was in a very difficult position."

Gillis added, "I would hope everyone gives me the opportunity to act appropriately and accordingly before making judgement."

The fact more experienced candidates weren't seriously considered also doesn't sit well with the NHL GM band of brothers.

Doug Armstrong comes highly recommended for his years of service as general manager for the Dallas Stars, yet Armstrong says Vancouver's interest was limited to a 10 minute phone conversation last Friday.

He never heard back.

Former Toronto Maple Leafs GM, John Ferguson also spoke briefly with Canucks president Chris Zimmerman last week, while Brian Lawton who walked away from a successful career as a player agent to seek a manager's job in the NHL was also included in Vancouver's brief search.

Following Dave Nonis' firing, Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini stated a change in leadership was necessary and his new GM would have extensive experience.

Mike Gillis will gain his management experience while on the job.

Comment

If all this is true, I predict a very rough ride for Gillis.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I thought you said Edmonton was a talentless team Asher?

All of a sudden Vancouver wants to steal players from them?

Wow glad to see you hate Vancouver more then Edmonton?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

(RW)Hossa -- 7 Million
              (C) Williams-- 1.60
              (LW)Stillman -- 1.75

(LW)Burrows
              (C) Kesler
              (RW)Rolston -- 2.432

(LW)Pandolfo-- 0.836
              (C) Raymond--
              (RW)Shannon---

(LW)Brown
              (C) Linden
              (RW)Pettinger

Gone, Sedins, Morrison, Naslund.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I thought you said Edmonton was a talentless team Asher?

All of a sudden Vancouver wants to steal players from them?

Wow glad to see you hate Vancouver more then Edmonton?
                WTF are you talking about?

I'm just posting the column I found enlightening. The guy's got a rep for screwing at least one GM around (and not just lopsided trades, I mean gutter-like scumbag behaviour). He's gotta talk a lot with other GMs, and this is not the sign of a good GM IMO.

Don't know where the hell this Edmonton talentless bull**** of yours is coming from. Please do us all the service of reading what people post, not what you think they post.

Comment

(RW)Hossa -- 7 Million
                  (C) Williams-- 1.60
                  (LW)Stillman -- 1.75

(LW)Burrows
                  (C) Kesler
                  (RW)Rolston -- 2.432

(LW)Pandolfo-- 0.836
                  (C) Raymond--
                  (RW)Shannon---

(LW)Brown
                  (C) Linden
                  (RW)Pettinger

Gone, Sedins, Morrison, Naslund.
                  Hossa for 7 million? You serious? That's Iginla numbers. And Hossa doesn't put up Iginla numbers, and Iginla is a FAR more complete player than Hossa.

You also think the entire top line is going to be replaced? Who's going to accept BOTH Sedins, knowing what heartless floaters they are? No one's going to accept one without the other. The Sedins are at what, 3.5mil/ea? They're staying next year, and will be traded at the deadline when Vancouver bombs out of the race.

You're living in a dream world.

Why would this guy trade Naslund BTW -- he's been Naslund's agent for so many years...something's telling me Naslund is going to stick around...

Comment

Do I really need to pull out and quote your own words Asher?

You've been ragging on Edmonton all year.

Comment

Do I really need to pull out and quote your own words Asher?

You've been ragging on Edmonton all year.
                      Absolutely, but that has **** all to do with what I just said here? Which is about the reputation and probable incompetence of Vancouver's new GM?

What world do you live in, boy.

Comment

Hossa for 7 million? You serious?
                        Dead serious.

That's Iginla numbers. And Hossa doesn't put up Iginla numbers, and Iginla is a FAR more complete player than Hossa.
                        That's what it will take to land him.

You also think the entire top line is going to be replaced?
                        First and second lines.

Who's going to accept BOTH Sedins, knowing what heartless floaters they are?
                        We'll trade them for picks. All the other players on the list there are UFAs. No trades necessary to pick them up.

No one's going to accept one without the other. The Sedins are at what, 3.5mil/ea?
                        I'm spending that 7 million on Stillman/Jason Williams/Pandolfo and Rolston.

Giving everyone a 20 percent raise comes to 8 million or so. Hossa is 2 million less then Naslund/Morrison.

They're staying next year, and will be traded at the deadline when Vancouver bombs out of the race.
                        Right.

Why would this guy trade Naslund BTW -- he's been Naslund's agent for so many years...something's telling me Naslund is going to stick around...
                        Maybe, maybe not. We shall see. We can get more then him for 4 million dollars. Only Nixon could go to China.

Comment

You can build a good team there Ben, if only all those things could somehow happen. It won't though.
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I just wanted to show it is possible, even given the current 'weak crop' of UFAs.

There are a few real gems there, and folks in the right positions who will really help the Canucks.

Change isn't always bad, the Canucks have a good base of young players. They have cap space. They have contracts of players that are coming up soon. They have options.

Comment

Oh certainly, but just throwing money at a player won't mean he comes to your team, and like Asher pointed out, trading away all those players that didn't do it for the Canucks won't be easy.
                              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Look at the Sedins down the stretch or during the playoffs.

Their playoff numbers:

Daniel: 0.418 points per game, -8
                                Henrik: 0.465 points per game, -9

They disappear in intense games. Kristian Huselius -- who I'm 99% sure is leaving as a free agent from Calgary -- is a far more cost effective solution, and slightly less flimsy in the playoffs, but still not a player I'd like to have on my team in the playoffs:

Huselius: 0.600 points per game, -4

IMO, there's not a huge market for the Sedins except if another team needs two second liners.

If I were Sutter, I'd find more guys who can come through in the playoffs. Nolan was a fantastic acquisition, I'd like to see more along those lines. I think most GMs are aware of how less valuable players are who disappear in big games, and as such they won't be highly sought after in the off-season (where they typically want someone game-changing).

I see the Sedins being picked up at the deadline for cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X