Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 07/08: VII Da da da, da da daa, da da da, da daa da daa

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snoopy369
    You've never heard of the various selection of Kool-Aid drug references? You're either lying or REALLY sheltered. I'm probably in the nerdiest 0.1% of the population, and I got it right away...
    I've heard of Kool-Aid in reference of being brainwashed (eg, don't drink the koolaid). I've never heard of it in reference to OxyContin, then again I don't hang out with really pathetic people such that it's ever come up.

By "orange kool-aid" I thought he was referring to drinking the Flames kool-aid. To be honest, I still think that's what he meant because I'm damn sure "orange kool-aid" isn't used up in Canada and Ben would be the last person to know what that is.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Where i've heard it, and that includes three significantly different demographics (southwest/CA similar, midwest/urban, and southern midwest/rural), kool-aid refers to different drugs (LSD was the original one, or possibly PCP - before my time, and so used highly incorrectly by lots of people I'm sure); sometimes colors are used (such as this particular specific reference), sometimes not. I've not heard it used to refer to brainwashing, but perhaps that's just a misuse of the common slang for drugs, as they're quite similar in how they would be used...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• By "orange kool-aid" I thought he was referring to drinking the Flames kool-aid. To be honest, I still think that's what he meant because I'm damn sure "orange kool-aid" isn't used up in Canada and Ben would be the last person to know what that is.
        I meant both of them.

And yes you are sheltered Asher.

I think I would know what I meant to say better then you would.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Really? Maybe this is a cultural disconnect, because I've heard kool-aid used in terms of brainwashing many, many times but never in terms of drugs like OxyContin.

It comes from things like Jonesboro, where you tell people "don't drink the koolaid", as in they've been brainwashed, otherwise affected by groupthink, or in a cult of some kind.

In this context, "orange Kool-Aid" would refer to the Kool-Aid of the Calgary Flames since some people of questionable intelligence could assume orange was the main colour of the Flames, given the name.

Here's what Wiki says:

The idiomatic expression, "drinking the Kool-Aid", was originally a reference to the Merry Pranksters, a group of people associated with novelist Ken Kesey who, in the early 1960s, traveled around the United States and held events called "Acid Tests", where LSD-laced Kool-Aid was passed out to the public (LSD was legal in the U.S. until 1966). Those who drank the "Kool-Aid" passed the "Acid Test". "Drinking the Kool-Aid" in that context meant accepting the LSD drug culture, and the Pranksters' "turned on" point of view. These events were described in Tom Wolfe's 1968 classic, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.[4]

Currently the term is mostly associated with the 1978 cult suicide in Jonestown, Guyana. Jim Jones, the leader of the Peoples Temple, convinced his followers to move to Jonestown. Late in the year, he then ordered his flock to commit suicide by drinking grape-flavored Flavor Aid laced with potassium cyanide. In what is now commonly called the "Jonestown Massacre", a large majority of the 913 people later found dead drank the brew. (The discrepancy between the idiom and the actual occurrence is likely due to Flavor Aid's relative obscurity, compared to the easily recognizable Kool-Aid.) The precise expression can be attested in usage at least as early as 1987[4]. The saying "Don't drink the Kool-Aid" now commonly refers to the Jonestown tragedy, meaning "Don't trust any group you find to be a little on the kooky side," or "Whatever they tell you, don't believe it too strongly."[5] Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly is famous for using the term in this manner. [6]

"Drink the Kool-Aid," is now also corporate-speak for immersing oneself in a cultlike culture.

As I've said, I've never heard it used like in your link...and since Wiki mentions mine and not yours, it's clear who here is right.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• As I said, the former usage is how i've heard it used mostly. Oxycontin specifically is relatively unusual in some settings, but probably more so in others - it is a very suburban/rural phenomenon from what I recall, mostly bored teenage white boys doing soft drugs and killing themselves slowly...

And please don't ever claim that the presence or lack thereof of something in Wiki is evidence of anything ... :vomit:

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              I meant both of them.

And yes you are sheltered Asher.

I think I would know what I meant to say better then you would.
              My ass, you're just covering now. There's no way you knew that, and you're only saying you did because otherwise you look stupid for saying the Flames' dominant colour is orange (which you did explicitly say before you forgot that you were saying you never said that...)

I know many people who've been into drugs of various kinds -- mostly gay people I knew who were ostracized by Christians, but that's neither here nor there -- and that term was never used. The fact that Wiki mentions my definition and not this OxyContin nonsense (and the fact that snoopy's link mentions it originates in the southern US in that context), doesn't mean I'm sheltered -- it means I don't know any southern US OxyContin addicts...

Comment

• Oxycontin is a rural/suburban drug, not southern specifically. It's perfectly possible Texans used the term, although I make no claim about Ben's specific knowledge thereof. I still think you should've figured out the reference

Comment

Oxycontin is a rural/suburban drug, not southern specifically. It's perfectly possible Texans used the term, although I make no claim about Ben's specific knowledge thereof. I still think you should've figured out the reference
                  How the hell could you "figure out" the reference to OxyContin given that the subject is HOCKEY?

Anyone with half a brain would assume he meant the cult-like one, given the context.

Sorry snoopy, you're out to lunch on this one. And Ben is being his typical self in damage control -- look at him, he said he meant "both" definitions. The guy is so unfunny that any time something he does indirectly may be funny he tries to take credit for it since it's such an unusual event.

to both of you for being silly and wasting my time with this drug-fueled nonsense.

Comment

• My ass, you're just covering now. There's no way you knew that, and you're only saying you did because otherwise you look stupid for saying the Flames' dominant colour is orange (which you did explicitly say before you forgot that you were saying you never said that...)
                    Priceless.

/me munches popcorn.

Poly plus would be worth the entertainment for this thread alone.

How the hell could you "figure out" the reference to OxyContin given that the subject is HOCKEY?
                    It's a pun, the expression drinking the ORANGE kool-aid has a couple different meanings. You got the first one which I expected you too. Snoopy got the second.

Oh, and wait, I'm an arts major. That means I like doing things like this.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Oh, go drink some Orange Koolaid.

Comment

• Because I have a fast-thinking brain that is able to make connections between vastly unrelated subjects? I actually didn't make the orange=calgary connection, I just assumed it was the closest one he could think of to the Flames' color. Kool-aid is commonly used to suggest someone is on drugs, and thus I assumed he was implying you were hallucinating whatever it was you were arguing about ...

I'm not defending Ben, I could care less about that element of it. I just think you should've got the reference

Comment

Because I have a fast-thinking brain that is able to make connections between vastly unrelated subjects?
                          You can't deduce that. You would need exposure to idiot OxyContin addicts or someone who knows them to know the reference. There is nothing logical about the connection.

I'm not defending Ben, I could care less about that element of it. I just think you should've got the reference
                          That makes NO SENSE. How can a NorthWestern Canadian get the reference if it's an obscure term used by OxyContin addicts in the southern US??

It is not something you can "figure out", it's obscure and rather stupid since there already is a "koolaid" connotation outside of its intended domain, so this additional one is ridiculous.

I don't care if you're not defending Ben, you're acting remarkably....silly if you think this is something one can "figure out". In fact, I'd honestly question the intelligence of anyone who assumes koolaid refereces to OxyContin in a hockeythread and not the cult-like meaning that is rather obvious (and frequently used in this context).

Comment

• err how about those Canadiens??

and what about Florida reeling off the wins . . . never thought they had it in them
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• The Canadiens are clearly on Red Bull*.

And Florida is clearly on ROCKSTAR**.

* = Xanax
                              ** = ROCKSTAR

Comment

• crazy standings now with the 3 way tie for 6th to 8th-- Flames only advantage now is games in hand so they NEED to capitalize against the Bluejackets tomorrow--

While they COULD easily brush past a defeat there and still win the division I think they would really want this game from a momentum perspective-- BUt this team constantly baffles me so who the heck knows what they will do
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X