In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
    Sustained reductions in convulsive and total seizures were observed up to 156 weeks, with 85% of patients/caregivers reporting an improvement in overall condition. This OLE demonstrates the sustained long-term benefits of Epidiolex/Epidyolex, the regulated and highly purified formulation of plant-based CBD, for patients with DS, a critical issue for CBD in joining our ASM armamentarium.

not sure what add-on CBD is but it can help with Dravet's syndrome, a convulsive disorder that can be fatal. I dont think that 85% includes patients who dropped out, lack of benefit was one of the reasons

​​​​​​https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/epi.17036?utm_source=TrendMD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_ca mpaign=._TrendMD_1
    Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the main extracts of cannabis plants. It's not generally considered to be psychoactive like THC, the other main extract.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• what are they adding it to?

I assume they're adding it onto some other concoction that improves it

Comment

• You sure like assuming stuff.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Most regular engines convert thermal energy into mechanical work, but an international team of researchers has now designed and implemented an entirely different, quantum engine. Instead of heat, this proof-of-principle microscopic engine runs on the energy difference associated with the statistical properties of quantum matter. And rather than powering the next generation of cars, this type of engine may one day be used to charge quantum batteries or power quantum computers and sensors.
          https://physicsworld.com/a/no-heat-q...kes-its-debut/

Comment

• And now to something completey different:

Beethov-hen’s first symphony: New Zealand orchestra puts on poultry show for chickens

Blah

Comment

• Blah

Comment

• Possessing laughing gas will be made illegal in three weeks, with those who repeatedly misuse the drug facing up to two years in prison.

Those who repeatedly misuse nitrous oxide will face up to two years in prison, the Home Office says.

With so many tragic or even shocking news these days I'd say delay that....
                Blah

Comment

• Cruella Braverman. Focusing on the things that matter.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Bit old

The preliminary investigation materials of the Helsinki police paint a confusing picture of the course of events in the murder of the mythologist Ior Bock last October.

The events began on the morning of October 23, when Bock's Indian assistants were in the apartment's kitchen. Both assistants lived in Bock's home. The assistant accused of Bock's murder had a day off and the assistant who was at work had just returned from the grocery store.
                    Another assistant said that during the interrogation, the suspect asked if he thought Bock was a god. After the question, the prosecuting attorney had gone into the living room to talk with Bock.

"I have killed the devil"
                    The assistant at work said during the interrogation that he was cooking rice when the accused had come to get a knife from the kitchen.
                    After a while, he had heard Bock call out from the living room, "hey, hey." The assistant went into the living room and saw Bock lying on his right side. There was a knife in Bock's chest.
                    The assistant who was at work said that he retreated to the hall, repeating the nickname he used for Bock, "pumpelee". The accused stated to the assistant that "pumpelee was dead" and added that "I have killed the devil".

The assistant took Bock's earring

After this, the accused asked the assistant who was at work to call the police.
                    Meanwhile, the accused had gone to the bathroom with the knife and apparently washed the knife. After that, he wiped the blood stains from the floor. Finally, the accused drew something on the carpet with his own blood. The accused also took a gold earring from Bock's left ear, saying in front of the mirror "this is not yours (referring to Bock) but mine".
                    When the police arrived, the accused said that an assistant at work had killed Bock. However, the assistant in charge has since confessed in a police interrogation that he killed Bock himself.

The accused remembers hitting Bock with a knife According to the interrogation protocols of the police's preliminary investigation material, the accused's account follows the account of the events of the assistant who was at work. The accused says that he was in a confused state of mind when he talked with Bock.
                    The confusion is illustrated by the fact that he said he saw a crow in the apartment.
                    After that, he remembers getting a knife and hitting Bock. He also remembers washing the knife and saying that he had killed the devil. When the police came to the apartment, she had Bock's earring in her possession.

Attached Files

Comment

• NZ town tormented by Celine Dion 'music battles'

She's topped the charts around the world, has a legion of fans and has won countless awards for hits like Think Twice and My Heart Will Go On.

But one New Zealand town says it has had enough of Celine Dion, after car drivers joined a craze of blasting out her ballads at 2am.

Residents of Porirua have launched a petition to bring an end to the noise.

But participants of the so-called siren battles say they are a way to express themselves.

The battles involve groups of people gathering in an area with their cars, blasting music from sirens more typically used for emergency warnings.

The idea is to play music from the sirens the loudest - and the clearest.

French-Canadian diva Dion has become the artist of choice not only because of her popular emotional ballads, but because much of her music - including Oscar-winning My Heart Will Go On, from 1997 film Titanic - has high treble, NZ website The SpinOff reports.

"Celine Dion is popular because it's such a clear song - so we try to use music that has high treble, is clear and not much bass," Paul Lesoa, one of founders of a group that runs siren battles in Auckland, told the site.

The cars can have anywhere between seven to 10 sirens, with competitions usually held throughout the night. They take weeks to prepare for, as participants source sirens online and solder speakers and amplifiers to frames that sit on cars.

Mr Lesoa told The SpinOff he felt the stigma around the battles was unfair.

"We just love music, we love dancing, and doing this is better than night clubbing or drinking in a bar in the city, where there's fights etc," he said.

He said he had applied to Auckland Council for a permit but was yet to hear back.

"Basically everyone has a hobby and while our hobby can be quite disturbing and we understand how disturbing it can be, we just want our own proper, safe space away from people to do it."

Wes Gaarkeuken - the author of a petition hoping to stop the siren battles in Porirua, on the North Island - said taxpayers are "tired of the inaction and dismissive attitude shown by the council and the mayor concerning this issue".

The petition has amassed hundreds of signatures and calls on the Porirua City Council to stop people blasting the music all night.

One man, Stephen Lewis, wrote next to his signature that "sleep is a basic human right".

Another woman, Diana Paris, conceded that while she enjoyed listening to Dion "in the comfort of my lounge and at my volume, I do not enjoy hearing fragments of it stopping and starting at any time between 7pm and 2am".

Porirua City Council had previously reached an agreement with those participating in the siren battles, which involved groups going to industrial areas and finishing by 10pm. But the battles have returned to the town.

Mayor Anne Barker told Radio New Zealand she was "sick to death" of the battles and wanted participants to return to areas where not everyone would have to listen to them.

"We haven't got anywhere in our city where there's not houses that would hear anything."

RNZ recently revealed that police had received up to 40 reports of incidents between early February and early October this year.

Earlier this year, Dion cancelled all the shows she had scheduled for 2023 and 2024, telling fans she was not strong enough to tour after being diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder.
                      Porirua residents launch a petition to stop fans blasting Dion ballads from their cars at 2am.
                      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Chinese Corporate Espionage has gone too far. They are brazenly stealing Budweiser's recipe.....

Tsingtao has alerted Chinese police after a video shows a worker urinating into a tank.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• pchang
                          pchang commented
                          Editing a comment
                          From beer it came. To beer it shall return.

• BeBMan
                          BeBMan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Did they ruin or improve it

• When in Rome...

Blah

Comment

• Australian Man Survives Crocodile Attack by Biting Back

"It was a big grab and [the crocodile] shook me like a rag doll and took off back into the water, pulling me in," the farmer recalled

A man went toe-to-toe with a crocodile — and survived.

Australian cattle producer Colin Deveraux told Australia's ABC News that he was attacked by one of the creatures while heading toward the Finniss River to do some fencing. He said he had stopped by a lake when he saw fish acting oddly and swimming toward the middle of the pool of water.

"The water had receded and it was down to this dirty water in the middle. I took two steps and [the crocodile] latched onto my right foot," Deveraux recalled to ABC News. "It was a big grab and he shook me like a rag doll and took off back into the water, pulling me in."

However, the farmer would not let the creature win without a fight, so he kicked the creature in the ribs with his other foot and even tried to bite the animal back. By a lucky twist of fate, he said he managed to bite the crocodile in a way that made it release him.

"I was in such an awkward position … but by accident my teeth caught his eyelid. It was pretty thick, like holding onto leather, but I jerked back on his eyelid and he let go,” he explained.

He said the whole incident happened in about eight seconds. Once the crocodile let go, that was all he needed to escape the situation, and he “leapt away and took off with great steps up to where my car was” — all with the crocodile trailing behind.

"He chased me for a bit, maybe [13 feet], but then stopped," Deveraux told ABC News.

However, he noted that he had an open wound on his right leg from where the crocodile bit him and needed to immediately address it before anything else, using a towel and some rope to create a makeshift tourniquet to help staunch the bleeding.

His brother was able to eventually get to him and take him to Royal Darwin Hospital, located 80 miles north of where he was, per the BBC. That is where he has been staying for the past month in order to receive treatment for the injury.

He said the biggest problem with the wound was that it was infected with “all the bad bacteria” from the murky waters where the crocodile rose from.

"[My leg] was opened up [badly] and over ten days in a row, I think, they had to flush it," Deveraux said, though he noted that he was lucky the crocodile bit him on his leg as opposed to anywhere else.

“If [the crocodile] had bitten me somewhere else, it would have been different,” he added.

He told ABC News that while the crocodile was “removed” from the area, the memories from the attack have stayed with him and have helped him look at his life differently: "It means I've got to change what I do. I've been walking around that swamp country too long fixing fences and living life, but it's opened my eyes."​
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Wallace and Gromit studio Aardman Animations running out of clay

Studio has enough animation clay for just one more film after the manufacturers of its favourite material closed down

(...)

Blah

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                              -Jrabbit commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This is one body of work that should be able to smoothly transform into AI-based production without anyone noticing or caring.

• Looks like the panic was premature

Blah

Comment

Working...
                            X