No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkinson's disease starts in the gut and migrates to the brain. Proteins are typically 3 dimensional but misfolded proteins are not and they can "convince" neighboring proteins to mimic them. Eventually after decades of the gut biome building up these misfolded proteins they migrate to the lower brain stem and then the upper and its game over, game over man

They're still not sure what triggers the misfolding of proteins in the stomach and intestines but I suspect diet is a big factor.

Comment

• All proteins are 3 dimensional.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• then the distinction would be irrelevant... and yet thats how the article described the difference between normal proteins and misfolded ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
          then the distinction would be irrelevant... and yet thats how the article described the difference between normal proteins and misfolded ones.
          That's what you understood from it.

A misfolded protein is also three-dimensional. It's just a different shape. Proteins are made of hundreds to thousands of molecules, it is impossible for them to be two-dimensional.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Berzerker
            Berzerker commented
            Editing a comment
            how is it a different shape?

• the article used the term 3 dimensional to describe the difference

Comment

• Are you saying the article you cite but didn't cite was wrong?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Berzerker
              Berzerker commented
              Editing a comment
              I dont know if it's wrong, I'm just reporting what it said.

the article used the term 3 dimensional to describe the difference
            In the same way that, for example, a car and a tree are different shapes, even though they're both three-dimensional. I don't really know how to put it simpler than this.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
              Uncle Sparky commented
              Editing a comment
              What about Fred Flintstone's car? It looks quite tree like?

• the article made that distinction, is that simple enough?

Comment

• Why don't you share the article. I would like to know if i) you made unsubstantiated statements based on what you thought you read, or ii) you sourced material that is easily proven wrong.

Based on past form, either or both may be true in this case.

Comment

• I read lots of articles, I dont link or keep track of them all. If thats a problem for you, oh well

Comment

• if you crumple a piece of paper it appears 3 dimensional. fold it flat and it appears in 2... So maybe something about the folds in Parkinson's is different enough for them to describe it that way.

Comment

• pchang
                    pchang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Most likely the article meant to say thee 3D shape changed. Protein folding is also affected by temperature and pH.

• Sustained reductions in convulsive and total seizures were observed up to 156 weeks, with 85% of patients/caregivers reporting an improvement in overall condition. This OLE demonstrates the sustained long-term benefits of Epidiolex/Epidyolex, the regulated and highly purified formulation of plant-based CBD, for patients with DS, a critical issue for CBD in joining our ASM armamentarium.

not sure what add-on CBD is but it can help with Dravet's syndrome, a convulsive disorder that can be fatal. I dont think that 85% includes patients who dropped out, lack of benefit was one of the reasons

​​​​​​https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...gn=._TrendMD_1

Comment

• Berzerker
                    Berzerker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In HS I saw someone have an epileptic seizure. A black dude on our football team had a family member with epilepsy and he put a pen between their teeth so they wouldn't swallow their tongue.

• My uncle was about to take his meds and had a fit and he stood there shaking like a leaf pills going all over the bathroom. He thought it was pretty funny afterwards.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I read lots of articles, I dont link or keep track of them all. If thats a problem for you, oh well
                    Problem, no. Just makes you unreliable like the guy that says 'My mate Dave says....'

Comment

• Did Dave write the article?

Comment

• N35t0r
                        N35t0r commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do you know the name of the guy who wrote he article?

• Berzerker
                        Berzerker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        my mate Dave
                    Working...
                    X