In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go cats!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• dont know if this is true but i heard one of the reasons the plague hit Europe so hard was they killed cats out of superstition allowing for more rats to spread

and the plague coincided with the little ice age so rats and people were spending more time inside

Comment

• Not sure I buy that.

I’ve heard opposite arguments - that large rat populations actually decrease the chance of spread to humans compared to small populations. The fleas that spread the disease prefer rat hosts, and so would only feed from, and so infect, a human host if there were no nearby rats to live on. More rats, lower likelihood of picking a human to feed on.

Outbreaks of plague would therefore occur if there were a sudden decline in rat population in the area, causing the fleas to seek new human hosts, en masse.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Sure, let's fill the streets with rats to stop the plague and then we can inject ourselves some bleach :b :
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

Comment

• Istambul is full of cats everywhere. I never saw so many cats in a city, and people treat them very well. I was surprised to see in the old city many people left food by the front door every day for the street cats. And the reason for all this love for cats is that they saved the city from many plagues throughout it's long history.

Comment

• The cat was trapped in the fifth-floor apartment of a burning building but managed to escape unscathed.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Pokémon card sales at major US retailer halted over security fears

US retail giant Target is suspending in-store sales of Pokémon and sports trading cards amid safety concerns as customers vie for the collectibles.

Target, which has more than 1,900 outlets in the US, made the decision after a man drew a gun in a fight over cards outside a store in Wisconsin.

(...)

A fight broke out in a car park outside a Target in Brookfield, Wisconsin, on 7 May, after four men allegedly assaulted another man over sports trading cards, reports the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The victim, who had a licence to carry a concealed gun, ended the fight by drawing his weapon, police say.

No shots were fired, and the four men ranging in age from 23 to 35 fled and were later arrested.

(...)
              A major US chain acts after a customer pulled a gun in a fight over the collectible trading cards.

Blah

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                Uncle Sparky commented
                Editing a comment
                But drawing a gun in the US is just their way of saying 'Hello'...

• toWERS
                toWERS commented
                Editing a comment
                These collectibles can be worth more than gold and jewels, not for the art itself, but for its rarity. Just like paintings. If I was walking around Wisconsin with a Picasso under my arm I'd probably carry a gun as well.

• Israel bombs AP/ Al-Jazeera building in Gaza.

Trump disappointed he didn't think of that first.
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by toWERS View Post
                Istambul is full of cats everywhere. I never saw so many cats in a city, and people treat them very well. I was surprised to see in the old city many people left food by the front door every day for the street cats. And the reason for all this love for cats is that they saved the city from many plagues throughout it's long history.
                I thought it was the same all over the world.
                It is certaintly the same here

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                  Uncle Sparky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wait... those bowls of gruel people leave by their door are for cats, not tourists?! ,,,oops.

• That's actually how you get a cat. At some point sooner or later a baby cat starts following you.
                I had that happen but couldn't take her in. It was a bit sad.
                They are the happiest in the islands because of all the fish

Comment

• Originally posted by toWERS View Post
                  Sure, let's fill the streets with rats to stop the plague and then we can inject ourselves some bleach :b :
                  Allow me to be more precise.

An alternative approach is to reduce the rodent population; but our model predicts that there may be difficulties with the timing of any cull. If the rats are kept at a permanently low level, then the risk of a large outbreak in rodents—and therefore the risk of human cases—is reduced. But if the cull is only brought into effect after the first human cases have been reported, then this action can create a far larger force of infection for humans (Fig. 3a). By the time human cases arise, there is already a large reservoir of infection in the rodent population; a cull therefore releases many infected fleas, which may bite humans in the absence of a suitable rodent host.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Berzerker
                    Berzerker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i dont know where i saw this but during the plague royalty would have dogs sitting nearby to attract the fleas

• That looks like a very risky strategy, my friend. Genius if it works but I could see so many ways in which it could go wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post

I thought it was the same all over the world.
                    It is certaintly the same here
                    I've traveled all over Europe and never saw as many cats as in Istambul. I was in Greece and I don't remember seeing so many, maybe they were there and I just didn't see them. I only speak what I see with my own eyes.

Yes, all over people feed street cats, we do it here in Madrid too. But I was amazed at how common it was there, like every other house had a bowl of food for the cats at the door. If any tourist ate that I can't recall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                      That's actually how you get a cat. At some point sooner or later a baby cat starts following you.
                      I had that happen but couldn't take her in. It was a bit sad.
                      They are the happiest in the islands because of all the fish
                      I adopted mine from a refuge. He was the happiest being on Earth each time I opened a can of tuna :-)

Comment

• Seven people have drowned and two are still missing in Indonesia after a tourist boat capsized when all of its passengers suddenly moved to one side to take a selfie, police said.
                        https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/s...-b1848414.html

Blah

Comment

Working...
                        X