Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    I have $20 which says it was a migrant. This is right up their alley.
    That is not very intelligent of you.
    Blah

Comment

• SYMPTOM/SINTHOME Lacan defined the symptom in several ways: as a metaphor, as "that which comes from the real," as "that which doesn't work," and at the end of his teaching, as a structural fact, whose necessity must be questioned. Source for information on Symptom/Sinthome: International Dictionary of Psychoanalysis dictionary.

Deutschland Ûber Alles

Comment

• maybe it's just something germans do when they're bored

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
          Uncle Sparky commented
          Editing a comment
          I suspect it's the result of a sausage and cabbage based diet...

• Originally posted by spambot View Post
        maybe it's just something germans do when they're bored
        It was starting WWs decades ago. Progress!
        Blah

Comment

• Meanwhile liars and cheats overran the border:

Blah

Comment

• Not sure if this kind of FED shaming is ok
            Blah

Comment

• Climate Change is a Myth!
              Originally posted by BBC
              Mexico hail: Ice 1.5m thick carpets Guadalajara

Six suburbs in the Mexican city of Guadalajara were carpeted in a thick layer of ice after a heavy hailstorm.

The ice was up to 1.5m (5ft) thick in places, half-burying vehicles.
              Streets are carpeted in ice which traps vehicles and damages homes in Guadalajara.
              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
              Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
              Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• I don't think it's ice.

I guess it's beer foam. That fits to my theory that the universe is a giant ocean of beer, and Earth swims on top of it
                Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                  I don't think it's ice.

I guess it's beer foam. That fits to my theory that the universe is a giant ocean of beer, and Earth swims on top of it
                  Must be a really strong beer, with all the people walking on it's foam.
                  I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                    Uncle Sparky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Probably a stout or a porter... that's why space is dark...

• Happy Canada Day!!!
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• BeBMan
                    BeBMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    :beer:

• Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
                  Sure looks like change to me!

Comment

• Serious question: how does global warming cause hailstorms in Mexico in June?

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                      Uncle Sparky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Icebergs evaporate in the arctic and, after migrating south, reform in the upper atmosphere, then fall to earth. The Mexicans are lucky this one didn't completely reform...

• Originally posted by BBC
                    US police probe arrest of black man using IV machine outside hospital
                    US police are investigating the arrest of a black patient in Illinois who was detained near a hospital while attached to an intravenous (IV) machine.

Shaquille Dukes says he went for a walk on his doctor's orders, but was held after a white security guard accused him of trying to steal the machine.

Mr Dukes has now filed a complaint alleging racial profiling.

Freeport police say their officers acted "the best way they could", but have launched an independent probe.

Freeport Health Network (FHN) Memorial Hospital has not commented on the incident, calling it a police matter.
                    The incident took place on 9 June, and gained national press coverage on Monday after it was picked up by US broadcasters.

On Monday, Freeport police told US media that an external investigator would assess whether officers handled the arrest appropriately.

What does Shaquille Dukes say?
                    The 24-year-old from Chicago says he was admitted to the hospital with double pneumonia while on holiday.

He says in a Facebook post that "after receiving doctors orders to walk around, I was stopped by an overzealous, racist, security officer, who claimed that I 'was trying to leave the hospital to sell the IV equipment on eBay.'"

He says the police were then called and arrested him for attempted theft.

Mr Dukes says his IV was removed - "not by a doctor" - as police officers stood by.

"They [the police] took my rescue inhaler and began to transport me to the city lockup, while in transit I began to have a seizure, and subsequently an asthma attack, I pleaded with officers for almost four minutes to retrieve my inhaler from the transporting officer, and finally, when I became unresponsive, it miraculously appeared."

What did the police say?
                    In a statement posted on Facebook, Freeport Police urged "the public to reserve judgment while a complete review of the incident is performed".

It added that the IV was removed "at the request of the subject by FHN medical personnel (not security or police)".

Police chief Todd Barkalow told ABC News that it had been determined that Mr Dukes "was likely not trying to steal any of the property", but he and two other men were arrested "for disorderly conduct" towards the security guard.

The police have shared police body camera footage which they say shows officers "handled it in the best way they could... given the situation that they had in front of them".

Officials also told ABC News that Mr Dukes had not been given permission "to leave the hospital while still hooked to an IV machine".

Mr Dukes is due to appear in court next month, US media reports say.
                    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48831646https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48831646

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                      -Jrabbit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WTF. I guess we can add "convalescing while black" to the list.

Freeport, IL is very rural-white Illinois, up in the NW corner of the state, so this is not terribly surprising. Except that it happened on hospital grounds and the guy was literally hooked into an IV!!

That punk-ass rent-a-cop's smug smile when Dukes gets arrested says it all. I would sue his ass personally, then the hospital and the local cops, too.

• Doctor: "walk around"
                    Patient: "okay" *leaves hospital*

guess the doctor should have been more specific

Comment

• German inefficiency.
                      Originally posted by BBC
                      Berlin Brandenburg: The airport with half a million faults
                      The sweeping approach along a slick set of motorway junctions is convincing enough - although there is curiously little traffic.

Then, the main terminal building comes into view - its statement entrance with huge expanses of glass and exits from a large railway station below emerging into a piazza in front. To one side stands a smart hotel.

As a structure, it looks impressive enough.

Until you pause, look around you, and absorb the silence. This is Berlin Brandenburg or BER, the new, state-of-the-art international airport built to mark reunified Germany's re-emergence as a global destination.

It is a bold new structure, costing billions, and was supposed to be completed in 2012.

But it has never opened.

BER has become for Germany not a new source of pride but a symbol of engineering catastrophe. It's what top global infrastructure expert Bent Flyvbjerg calls a "national trauma" and an ideal way "to learn how not to do things".
                      Billions over budget, years late in opening, and still being rebuilt before a single plane has landed. What's gone so wrong at the new Berlin airport?

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                        -Jrabbit commented
                        Editing a comment
                        O-M-effing-G!!! Unblvbl!
                    Working...
                    X