No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not disagreeing about Russia's compliance with the INF treaty. I am merely questioning who has the authority to invoke the exit from the treaty. Can the executive branch do so unilaterally or does it require Senate concurrence? In the case with Taiwan, the Supreme Court refused to hear the case. If left as is, it would effectively make treaties with the US have the same weight as Executive Orders.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Ahh, yes, I imagine some Senate ok would be required. I am not sure though.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181221_175621.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	9369168

Comment

• Does anyone remember when the market was going up and Trump was trying to take all the credit? Yeah, Trump doesn't remember that either because he claimed when the market goes down the President has nothing to do with it (except the biggest reason is his trade wars so, yes, it has a lot to do with him).
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I think a fair comparison was done by the Washington Post:
            The Dow has fared worse in Trump's second year in office than any other president save one.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Oh yeah, baby, the government is going to shut down. Kidicious, if you are out there... somewhere... drink up!

Shut that puppy down for AT LEAST a month. AT LEAST a month. It is my request...

It is my demand.
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Also I want the DOW to drop, as it has an average of 400 points, per day all next week.

Things are progressing exactly as I have foreseen. *evil laugh*
                Order of the Fly

Comment

• *stretch*

So... what else is going on? Kind of a slow news day actually.
                  Order of the Fly

Comment

• And now for something, Completely different.
                    Originally posted by BBC
                    Escaping prisoner accidentally hitches lift from policeman

An US prisoner who tried to hitchhike to freedom is back behind bars - after the motorist who picked him up turned out to be a policeman.

Allen Lewis, 31, had run away when being moved from Greenup County Detention Center in Kentucky, to face charges in a different county.

Lewis complained to the transport officer that his handcuffs hurt, so the officer pulled over to fix them.

When one cuff was released, a struggle ensued and Lewis fled on foot.

While the prison mounted a search operation, the escapee made it to a nearby highway and tried to flag down a lift.

Unfortunately for him, the person who stopped was a campus police officer at the local Morehead State University. The handcuffs dangling from one of Lewis's wrists proved a rather obvious giveaway.

Greenup County Jailer Mike Worthington confirmed that Lewis was returned to prison, and is now facing an escape charge.

"He thought he was getting a ride, and he did," he added.
                    Allen Lewis, 31, escaped while being moved between prisons - but picked the wrong car to flag down.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• "Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible." - Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted on a Supreme Court decision today from a hospital bed after she had cancer surgery.

Individual-1, marking the 100th Anniversary of the War to End All Wars, because of a light shower, could not make it to a ceremony honoring American Veterans who died in the war.

He really needs to stop grabbing his own *****.

Comment

• OTOH, give credit where it is due: Trump promised to shut down the government, and he did! He kept his promise!

Comment

• Interesting article about who is to blame for the chaos caused by Trump:
                            https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...te-border-wall

Synopsis:
                            It is the republicans in congress.
                            Not only do they fail to execute their oversight role on the WH and the president, but they also are active accomplices to Trump (instead of forming an independent body), by trying to interfere with the investigation into Trumps campaign, but also by trying to please the president, for example on Thursday, by pushing a budget proposal through, that is irresponsible, will have no chance to get through the senate and is only meant to appease the PotUS
                            Last edited by Proteus_MST; December 22, 2018, 11:53.
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by BBC
                              US envoy quits over Trump Syria pullout

The top US official in the fight against the Islamic State group has quit over President Trump's decision to pull troops from Syria, reports say.

Brett McGurk had planned to leave his role next year but brought his departure forward, CBS and AP reported.

Before Mr Trump's announcement he had insisted that the US would continue working against IS in Syria.

"We want to stay on the ground and make sure that stability can be maintained in these areas," he had said.
                              Brett McGurk resigns over President Trump's decision to pull troops out of Syria.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                              Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                              Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Let's all calm down and turn off CNN.

President Trump has everything under control. America will be Great Again!
                                Order of the Fly

Comment

Working...
                                X