Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post

The barbed wire fence has been there for over 100 years already, genius.
    Check the news genius.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Yeah, sure, over the whole length of more than 3000 km, with its varied terrain
      Also the funds in the federal budget are earmarked when they get approved by the congress ... and none of the funds destined for the military was earmarked as being used for a border wall between the USA and Mexico

Also IIRC Trump promised that Mexico would pay for the wall ...
      well, I guess as soon as Trump does some negotiation magic and Mexico has transferred the funds, work on the border wall can begin.
      Shouldn't be much more difficult than to win trade wars, or to present a healthcare system that costs less and yet covers more US citizens than Obamacare did
      The funds have been earmarked for national defense. That's what the wall is for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

The funds have been earmarked for national defense. That's what the wall is for.
        Then let me be the firts to bring you the good news:
        The USA are not under attack, they are at peace with their southern neighbor.
        Even the so called invasion force turned out to be just a bunch of refugees/asylum seekers

No need to destroy natural habitats for rare and endangered species just for Paranoia
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Barbed wire fence, cost per linear foot: approx. $1.50

Concrete block wall, six feet tall, cost per linear foot: approx. $57
          Average cost to install a concrete block wall is about $61 per foot (350 feet long x 6 feet tall block wall - partial DIY). Find here detailed information about block wall costs.

It would appear that a wall is roughly 40 times more expensive than a barbed wire fence, let alone simply leaving barbed wire at the border, and this is just for a measly six foot tall wall that any healthy mexican adult could presumably climb over.

Comment

• Originally posted by spambot View Post
            Barbed wire fence, cost per linear foot: approx. $1.50
            https://www.agriculture.com/news/liv...year_3-ar22518
            Average cost to install a concrete block wall is about $61 per foot (350 feet long x 6 feet tall block wall - partial DIY). Find here detailed information about block wall costs.

It would appear that a wall is roughly 40 times more expensive than a barbed wire fence, let alone simply leaving barbed wire at the border, and this is just for a measly six foot tall wall that any healthy mexican adult could presumably climb over.
            Well, Donnie never specified how high the wall at the border to Mexico was supposed to be ...or did he?
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by spambot View Post
              Barbed wire fence, cost per linear foot: approx. $1.50

We are going to get whatever we can get but I think it's going to be huge.

Comment

• Wow. You are even taking vocabulary lessons from Trump.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                  Wow. You are even taking vocabulary lessons from Trump.
                  And you talk like CNN

Comment

• Of the two, I know who I'd rather sound like. (hint, not like the idiot)
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Or using CNN speak, "The battle for America."

Comment

• Didn't realize Mexico was populated entirely by young, college-educated, urban women.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• When asked how she plans to pay for Medicare for all Ocasio-Cortez just keeps saying that it's more affordable so she doesn't understand the question. ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            When asked how she plans to pay for Medicare for all Ocasio-Cortez just keeps saying that it's more affordable so she doesn't understand the question.
                            Republicans don't pay for anything, why should Democrats?

On the other hand, we are already paying for it. There could be a tax equal 3/4 of whatever you + employer currently pay on health care. You can choose to keep your current healthcare (where they then return 5/8 of what you currently pay to your current healthcare provider) or cancel your current healthcare (in which case you get Medicare for all) and keep the remaining 1/4 for yourself.

From the 1/8 'extra tax' those who are not currently funded by medicare/medicaid/healthcare can be funded.

The amount per month for health insurance is 300-500 per person (might get greater for old people). Let's pick 400. So we would implement a new tax (per person) of Min(250,250/4*(Income/Poverty Income)). You would have an option of having Medicare or picking a private insurance (where the insurance company would get 200 USD, but could charge you any amount you are willing to pay above that). We would get rid of the current health insurance subsidy.

This would be an effective tax on private health insurance to pay for health insurance for everyone. It would also result in an effective increase in the disposable income for most people in the middle and working classes.

​​​​​​​JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Alternatively, currently most employers pay on average 1/2 of the health insurance costs because of tax advantage. Just make it so that that payment is made to the government instead of the health insurance companies and then the health insurance companies take 3/8 from the government (if the employee has a health plan). Then the government offers MedicareForAll at the cost of 100 USD for anyone.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

Republicans don't pay for anything, why should Democrats?

On the other hand, we are already paying for it. There could be a tax equal 3/4 of whatever you + employer currently pay on health care. You can choose to keep your current healthcare (where they then return 5/8 of what you currently pay to your current healthcare provider) or cancel your current healthcare (in which case you get Medicare for all) and keep the remaining 1/4 for yourself.

From the 1/8 'extra tax' those who are not currently funded by medicare/medicaid/healthcare can be funded.

The amount per month for health insurance is 300-500 per person (might get greater for old people). Let's pick 400. So we would implement a new tax (per person) of Min(250,250/4*(Income/Poverty Income)). You would have an option of having Medicare or picking a private insurance (where the insurance company would get 200 USD, but could charge you any amount you are willing to pay above that). We would get rid of the current health insurance subsidy.

This would be an effective tax on private health insurance to pay for health insurance for everyone. It would also result in an effective increase in the disposable income for most people in the middle and working classes.

​​​​​​​JM
                                Of course it would be paid for but it looks like she has no idea how it would be. She also says it will be more affordable. How so?

The difference between that and Trump saying that Mexico is going to pay for the wall is that that's an actual way to pay for the wall, although not likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X