No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sure hope republicans enjoy the next month when they end up losing the Senate too. They are finished. Susan Collins will lose in 2020 when she is up for reelection.

Kavanaugh is completely unfit for a Supreme Court seat. Murkowski at least is saying no.

This will mean significant steps back for LGBT rights, women rights and immigrant rights when such cases do go to the Supreme Court. The GOP will rot in hell after the midterms.

The ****ing minority conservative opinion will not have sway in the future. I'm outraged. This is what happens when political hacks like Susan Collins put party over country.
    Last edited by Giancarlo; October 5, 2018, 16:32.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Probably there was going to be a pull back on judicial support for LGBT/etc rights, as that was the one area that Kennedy was progressive on.

With a conservative Senate and a conservative WH, a conservative justice is correct and due. I am concerned about partisan votes (gerrymandering, etc), corruption votes and so on. Where he is worse than the other leading contenders.

It might actually help your case that he is corrupt, as in some way it invalidates his rulings which would otherwise be conservative and valid.

The protests of you and others like you about the conservatism rather than the corruption really confounds the issues and gives supporters an out (they can focus on the fact that they are conservative and ignore the corruption).

JM
      (I was not at all a fan of Kennedy in general.)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Nope. A conservative justice is not correct and due. And next month we will see a shift. Some senators like Susan Collins don't care about their constituents and they don't represent conservative states.

By the way, what about corruption? If you were concerned about that, you would question the GOP as a whole.

I'm very concerned about corruption, perhaps more than you. But the issues about Kavanaugh are more than that.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• -Jrabbit
          -Jrabbit commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude, they are ALL career politicians, ergo ALL corrupt - just in different ways. Don't Kid yourself.

• Giancarlo
          Giancarlo commented
          Editing a comment
          You have some who are willing to take a stand, like Heidi Heitkamp and Lisa Murkowski (against her own party). The GOP is rancidly corrupt beyond even developing country standard.

• Giancarlo
          Giancarlo commented
          Editing a comment
          Also dude nothing. There is a difference between supporting a political party that supports the rights of minorities and disadvantaged compared to that of a party like the GOP willing to throw people under the bus. No comparison. At. All.

• Wish Susan Collins would have come out sooner for him, instead of standing with Flake to call for further delay. This whole thing is horrible, but at least he has a clear path now. I expect the Ds to pull this **** again though unless they get punished severely for it.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
          Wish Susan Collins would have come out sooner for him, instead of standing with Flake to call for further delay. This whole thing is horrible, but at least he has a clear path now. I expect the Ds to pull this **** again though unless they get punished severely for it.
          Utter bull****. You will get punished severely in the midterms. Yes this whole thing is horrible. A man so grossly unfit, corrupt (happy, jon?) And partisan in the Court. Someone who was denounced by many law associations as lacking temperament being appointed.

Susan Collins betrayed her state whose population is firmly against Kavanaugh. She is finished.

Comment

• Friend of Ford told FBI she was pressured into altering statement

By Yaron Steinbuch

October 5, 2018 | 9:45am | Updated

Christine Blasey Ford (center) flanked by attorneys Debra Katz and Michael BromwichAP

A friend of Christine Blasey Ford told the FBI that allies of the college professor, who accused Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her, pressured her to revise her earlier statement that she knew nothing about the alleged incident, according to a report.

Leland Keyser, who Ford has said was present at the house when she was assaulted in 1982, told investigators that retired FBI agent Monica McLean, a friend of Ford’s, had urged her to clarify her statement, sources told the Wall Street Journal.

Keyser, a classmate of Ford, originally wrote to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Sept. 23 she “does not know Mr. Kavanaugh and she has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present.”

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

After the Supreme Court nominee and his accuser testified in front of the committee last week, Keyser wrote a letter to the panel dated Sept. 29 in which she said she did not refute Ford’s claim, but “is unable to corroborate it because she has no recollection of the incident in question,” according to CNN.

Kavanaugh has denied all allegations of sexual assault.

The FBI, which sent a report Thursday about its additional background probe on Kavanaugh, later provided the White House and Senate with additional material that included text messages from McLean to Keyser, a person familiar with the matter told the Journal.

McLean’s lawyer, David Laufman, said in a statement: “Any notion or claim that Ms. McLean pressured Leland Keyser to alter Ms. Keyser’s account of what she recalled concerning the alleged incident between Dr. Ford and Brett Kavanaugh is absolutely false.”

A source close to the classmates told the paper that it was her understanding that mutual friends of Ford and Keyser — including McLean — warned Keyser that her initial statement was being used by Republicans to rebut the accusation against Kavanaugh.

Comment

• Kidlicious
              Kidlicious commented
              Editing a comment
              Judiciary Committee is investigating this.

• Giancarlo
              Giancarlo commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't wait for the midterms so the democrats can open a major House investigation into all the corruption!

• Kidiot striking again with more tabloid sources...

RIGHT-CENTER BIAS These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words

Comment

• Welcome to Pollapalooza, our weekly polling roundup. Poll(s) of the week As the Senate prepares for a confirmation vote on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh…

This is exactly why republicans may regret this in a month. Independent voters are pissed off.

A Senate candidate like Kyrsten Sinema looks destined to win.

Also Trump has plunged in opinion polling on RCP except for Ramussen (surprise surprise).

Comment

• Well, lets hope the americans who are pissed off with Trump and his GOP are also intelligent enough to actually vote in the midterms, and not to stick their head in the sand in the belief that their vote wouldn't change anything (a belief that, for example, was a big contributor to the outcome of the Brexit referendum)
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• btw.
                  Typical Trumpist Lawmaker (and, I guess, someone to the taste of Kid )

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                    Well, lets hope the americans who are pissed off with Trump and his GOP are also intelligent enough to actually vote in the midterms, and not to stick their head in the sand in the belief that their vote wouldn't change anything (a belief that, for example, was a big contributor to the outcome of the Brexit referendum)
                    So the dems will be emboldened to make more false accusations at the 11th hour?

Comment

• Sarah Palin hinted at going after Murkowski's scalp.

Comment

Sarah Palin hinted at going after Murkowski's scalp.
                        oh the one that cut and ran when governor of Alaska and had multiple ethics investigations into her?

The independent Governor and Democratic Lt. governor both came out against Kavanaugh. Alaska isn't as red as it used to be. It has a lot to do with environmental issues and that was Murkowski's sticking point. Alaska is drifting towards being a swing state.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1MD2PR

Native Americans, who account for 15% of the state, are increasingly political and are voting in large numbers. That's how they have an independent (Democrat leaning) governor and a democrat Lt. governor. Their key points? Health care and environmental issues.

Comment

So the dems will be emboldened to make more false accusations at the 11th hour?
                          Enjoy the major losses in november. When you push a corrupt bigot into the Supreme Court.

Do you know what a pyrrhic victory is? One that isn't worth the price.
                          Last edited by Giancarlo; October 6, 2018, 08:23.

Comment

• Hispanic-Latino employment statistics for September 2018:
                            • Unemployment rate: 4.5%, down from 4.7% in August
                            • Number Employed:27,059,000 up from 26,927,000 in August
                            • Number Unemployed:1,287,000, down from 1,315,000 in August
                            • Labor Force Participation: 66.0%, up from 65.9% in August
                            • Civilian Noninstitutionalized Population (16+ years old): 28,346,000, up from 28,242,000 in August
                            • Number Participating in Labor Force:28,346,000, up from 28,242,000 in August

Comment

Working...
                            X