No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• SEPTEMBER 28, 2018 By Tomas Mendoza
      I am a college-educated, suburban, first-generation Latino immigrant. I voted for President Obama in 2008 and 2012. I find President Trump to lack the basic moral character that we should expect in our political leaders and did not consider, even for a moment, voting for him in 2016. After watching how Senate Democrats and the media handled the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh, however, I will be voting Republican in 2018 and for Trump in 2020.

When I came to the United States, I left a country that had recently undergone a military coup. My family experienced first-hand what happens when those in power abandon the rule of law. We saw the devastation that comes to a society when men of power believe their political objectives so justified that they are willing to pursue them by any means necessary. In the eyes of those men of power, we could see the deadening of souls that occurs when a man’s perceived benevolence blinds him to his own tyranny.

During the Kavanaugh hearings I saw that same look in the eyes of Senate Democrats. The hearings made clear that the Democrats on the committee were not interested in pursuing the truth or respecting Christine Blasey Ford’s desire for anonymity. Instead, they simply sought to delay the vote in the hopes of winning the next election.

If Kavanaugh’s reputation and Ford’s privacy had to be sacrificed on the altar of political expediency, the committee Democrats were not going to let basic decency prevent them from using the courts as an alternative path to the political ends they cannot reach through legislation.

I found Ford believable. Although her memory had significant gaps, she has clearly experienced some trauma. She does not come across as politically or financially motivated as some of the other accusers do. I also found Kavanaugh to be believable. He has an impeccable record and strongly denied the accusations. We may never answer the questions of what truly occurred.

But there is a greater question at hand, a question beyond the truthfulness of Ford or Kavanaugh’s testimony. This question will have lasting effects long beyond the tenure of Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s replacement. That question is whether the politics of power, the politics by any means demonstrated by Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Senate Judiciary Committee Democrats, will be rewarded.

A mentor once told me, when discussing how to respond to inappropriate sexual conduct in the workplace, “You promote what you permit.” If Democrats are allowed to delay this nomination and the elections in 2018 and 2020 benefit them, both Republicans and Democrats for a generation will have learned that the American people prefer to be ruled by tyrants that punish their enemies instead of representatives in a republic who adhere to the rule of law.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?

Comment

• Giancarlo
        Giancarlo commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncorroborated bull****. False accuser? Oh so she would put herself in harms way including vile death threats? You ****ing disgust me. If there is a hell, people like you will go there.

• JohnT
        JohnT commented
        Editing a comment
        Lolz. Anybody stupid enough to believe that "Tomas Mendoza" is real is stupid enough to post this to Apolyton.

Wait... kiddie diddler posted this. I stand correct.

• Giancarlo
        Giancarlo commented
        Editing a comment
        "I will be voting Republican in 2018 and for Trump in 2020." - Yeah that's an indication "Tomas Mendoza" is a huge fake. Should have caught that bit. Senate Democrats handled it quite well, and anyone who is claiming to be switching their vote to the party of rapists in 2018 and 2020 is fake or incredibly stupid. Nobody would be that ****ing dumb.

Adhere to the rule of law? So Mr. Kavanaugh who has committed perjury on Thursday and back in 2004 to the Senate is respecting the rule of law? How about those stolen documents that were stolen from the DNC that he claimed he never received to Congress back in 2004, yet actually did? That's called perjury.

Fake ass copy and paste. I expect the FBI to investigate every aspect of Kavanaugh's complete lack of moral character.

• I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?

Comment

• Giancarlo
        Giancarlo commented
        Editing a comment
        Go to hell.

• You want power politics? Look at the damn GOP that won't let other accusers testify, then nominate an unqualified unhinged partisan piece of **** like Kavanaugh. Cry me a river you nasty repulsive troll.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• JUMPING SHIP:

Maybe one segment of the GOP “base” wants Republicans to go all-out for Kavanaugh, but maybe another doesn’t like him at all.

Not a fake Tomas Mendoza... but actual trends show that republican women have rapidly jumped ship from supporting both Kavanaugh and Trump since the revelations of sexual assault became known. 58% of republicans support Kavanaugh and 49% of republican women support him (still too high), but these numbers are ****ty for someone that Trump is pushing.

Trump's approval rating among republicans is down to 72% from 88% before.

This indicates many white women that voted for Trump are now turning their backs on him.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• I find Trump an idiot incapable of running the country, and too evil to trust with anything more dangerous than a plastic spork. So I’m gonna vote for him cause Democrat people look funny. #makeAmericaMoronicAgain - KidApprovedFakeMinority

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
            I find Trump an idiot incapable of running the country, and too evil to trust with anything more dangerous than a plastic spork. So I’m gonna vote for him cause Democrat people look funny. #makeAmericaMoronicAgain - KidApprovedFakeMinority
            Caricature aside, you don't switch all at once. Just because you realise the left is horrible, doesn't mean that you instantaneously believe Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln.

Comment

• More games from the D's, already trying to get investigation unlimited in scope. Firing up the right base. No dog whistle good do any better.

Comment

• Vox went through the hearing transcript and noted down every time Ford or Kavanaugh answered a question and every time they didn't
                (answered = gave a specific answer or answered that s/he doesn`t know ... not answered = refused to answer or gave an answer that didn't address the question)

Here a nice graphics with both transcripts next to each other (and each time where one of them didn't answer marked in red)

https://twitter.com/brookejarvis/sta...42902679203840

And here a link to the full article (where the graphic is interactive and each line can be clicked to show the content:
                https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-hearing-chart
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Kidlicious
                  Kidlicious commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All of the questions they asked him had to do with farting, drinking beer, and asking the FBI to do an investigation of yourself for crimes that you haven't committed.

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                More games from the D's, already trying to get investigation unlimited in scope. Firing up the right base. No dog whistle good do any better.
                Firing up the base interested in justice and equality! Firing up the base that truly care about this country! Bring it on!

Comment

• Fox news did something unexpected.
                  They fired one of their contributors for throwing racial insults at Kavanaughs accusers

I admit, I would rather have expected that they give him a pay rise
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                    Uncle Sparky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He was blackballed.

• pchang
                    pchang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Comments were sexist, not racial. If Roger Ailes we’re still around, he would have been safe.

• Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."

Comment

• WH plans to relax sexual assault rules... making pvssy more grabbable!
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Caricature aside, you don't switch all at once. Just because you realise the left is horrible, doesn't mean that you instantaneously believe Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln.
                      Your idiocy continues. The left cares about this country and the people. And Trump makes Herbert Hoover look good.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Kavanaugh1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	9361184
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                        X