Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With all the talk about thinking about the "Prophet Muhammad" this Christmas it's time for a reality check.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
    Well I'm glad that we've cleared that up. Now back to your claim that Mohammed was a false prophet: which of his prophecies in particular do you think were false, and why?
    You do know that "prophet" doesn't specifically mean "someone who predicts the future," right? In common Christian usage, it refers to anyone who works as a messenger for God. In the OT this generally entails some prediction in the form of threats ("shape up or I'll whoop your ass"), but if God tells Jehushaphabel to tell you to stop picking your nose so much, Jehushaphabel is a prophet.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      You do know that "prophet" doesn't specifically mean "someone who predicts the future," right? In common Christian usage, it refers to anyone who works as a messenger for God. In the OT this generally entails some prediction in the form of threats ("shape up or I'll whoop your ass"), but if God tells Jehushaphabel to tell you to stop picking your nose so much, Jehushaphabel is a prophet.
      Well, it is interesting IMHO that Mohammed (with its Shariah and wars) has more in common with the god (and his messengers) we know from the Tanach, than Jesus. Not to forget Paul, who (due to deviating even more from the contents of the Tanach) was an important factor in Christians splitting away from Judaism
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I would like to add my name to the list of people gaining positive expoasure on the Internets by associating myself with this amayzing thrade.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
          a prophet of god who condones slavery?
          He was telling people to follow man's law on something. They didn't think like we do. People today still think that human beings are going to build the perfect society one day.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            You do know that "prophet" doesn't specifically mean "someone who predicts the future," right?
            Yes, I'm just very bored at work and am trying to kill time with poor trolling attempts (my job for the next week entirely consists of performance testing, which requires about thirty seconds of work every half hour or so, leaving 29.5 minutes of time to kill)
            Last edited by loinburger; December 28, 2016, 07:05.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
              Well, it is interesting IMHO that Mohammed (with its Shariah and wars) has more in common with the god (and his messengers) we know from the Tanach, than Jesus. Not to forget Paul, who (due to deviating even more from the contents of the Tanach) was an important factor in Christians splitting away from Judaism
              Not all that surprising. The Hijaz was the ass-end of civilization at the time, but had a decent-sized Jewish population and some exposure to Arianism (both populations being rather uncomfortable living in Byzantium). Even before Muhammad, there were some Arabs pushing for a native Arab monotheism. Islam represented the natural endpoint: a fusion of Judaism, non-Trinitarian Christianity and Arab paganism. Islam is conversion-centered and apocalyptic like Christianity, but otherwise resembles Judaism with Arab ritual trappings.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

AAHZ becomes less respected with every poast.

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                  This is a really good idea.

I am quoting this poast so I can get exposure and attention so I can become moar popular and respected.
                  This is excellent.

I am quoting this poast that quotes Aahz's poast so that people will see me exposing myself so I can be more popular and respected.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

thoth is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      I don't believe in burning heretics. I'm just saying that Muhammad was a FALSE prophet, and should be treated as such. That doesn't mean burning people. It means ridiculing people.
                      So, who is the "true" one ?

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                        thoth is awesome

QFT
                        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

An catholic priest in Italy thought he would create a dialogue with "fundamentalists" by making his nativity scene with Mother Mary in a burga. The locals protested until he changed it.

A parish priest in the south of Italy enraged parishioners by dressing the Virgin Mary in a Muslim burqa for his church’s Nativity scene.

Comment

both have been responsible for tons of deaths and suffering
                            Then why don't we see Canadian refugees emigrating to Syria?
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                              Then why don't we see Canadian refugees emigrating to Syria?
                              Well, I guess for one, because there is a civ il war running in Syria.

And for the other, because the western world, thanks to the Renaissance, has freed itself from the yoke of clerical influence on the government and the western world has now a society, where people have freedom of religion (or even freedom from religion, if they wish to), whereas in the muslim world hasn't come so far yet.
                              (Well, with the exception of Turkey, thanks to Atatürk ... but I guess that will get reverted by Erdogan in the coming years)

Nice pic of Carrie Fisher in your Avatar
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

John Glenn would have been a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X