The woman who wrote that article wasn't being "very adamant" about "merry Christmas" at all and certainly wouldn't throw a hissy fit if someone said "happy holidays" instead.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Backwoods Hillbilly Removed From Show About Backwoods Hillbillies For Being A Backwoods Hillbilly.
Collapse
X
-
Adopted, no co-optedOriginally posted by Ben Kenobi View PostYes, I do. I don't see any evidence that the Christians co-opted the Solistice given that the Solistice was celebrated long after Christianity came about. There is evidence for Christian celebration of the feast to a quite early period.
Lets be honest here - would we be celebrating it if it weren't Christmas? No.
Good question. Do stores put their Christmas decorations up on the 25th? If not, why not.
A Christian would argue that it celebrates the birth of Christ who was born on the 25th and not the solistice.
What? The celebration of Christ's nativity?
So why would Christians celebrate the death of the sun when we don't think the sun is a God?
Do you really think the stores would have their stuff out for 'winter solistice'? If not, why not?
Have you read the actual account of the Passover?
Is there any evidence that Greek Paganism predates Judaism?
Yes, and the solistice is not the 25th. What's so hard to understand about that?
I dont celebrate Christmas or the solstice, but I'm not surprised a country with millions of Christians celebrates the 25th. Other Christians before them banned Christmas because they considered it an adoption of pagan celebrations. Where'd they get that idea?
if it was a good question, will you answer it?
a non-Christian (and Christian) would celebrate it because the Sun was returning and the cycle of life continues
No, solstice prayers and celebrations are as old as mankind
For the same reason everyone else celebrated the Sun's return, Christians dont wanna freeze. And it aint celebrating the Sun's death, its the Sun's return or rebirth.
Tell me why Passover has no connection to the vernal equinox
Greek paganism and Judaism? Where'd I mention them? This is about Christianity, Christmas, and the eons before both when people celebrated the solstice
Solstice celebrations are not limited to one day, it takes 2-3 days before the Sun makes its turn and heads north - it appears to "stand still". And the period of celebration includes New Year festivals extending into January
Comment
-
That's when his feast day is celebrated. What evidence contrary to this do you have? You see, my Church goes back that far, and there is commentary from the fathers of the Church.How the **** do you know what date Jesus Christ was born on?Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
"Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!
Comment
-
And that's my point here. It's celebrated because Christians celebrate it not because neo pagans assert that there's a solistice.I dont celebrate Christmas or the solstice, but I'm not surprised a country with millions of Christians celebrates the 25th.
The same folks who put out Chick tracts and who called the Catholic church the whore of Babylon?Other Christians before them banned Christmas because they considered it an adoption of pagan celebrations. Where'd they get that idea?
Nope, again. Why is this so hard to understand? Christians celebrate it because it's the nativity of our Lord and Saviour. Had it been in August, we'd celebrate it then too (like we do the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin), or his death and resurrection, (on the passover).a non-Christian (and Christian) would celebrate it because the Sun was returning and the cycle of life continues
The reason you are struggling is because we developed the calendar too. At least in it's modern form. So you can't separate out the calendar from the Christian feast days and the liturgical calendar. It makes as much sense as 12 months divided, or 7 day weeks.
Read the passover account in Exodus 12.Tell me why Passover has no connection to the vernal equinox
Passover is a Jewish celebration. And it commemorates their time in Egypt, which is long before any of this Greek paganism or Norse paganism. So it makes more sense to state that the pagans co-opted Passover than the other way around.Greek paganism and Judaism? Where'd I mention them? This is about Christianity
Gosh, that coincides quite conveniently with the liturgical calendar surrounding the Christmas season. You're right though - we are still in Advent for another few days.Solstice celebrations are not limited to one day, it takes 2-3 days before the Sun makes its turn and heads north. And the period of celebration includes New Year festivals extending into January
Again, the liturgical calendar and the advent/Christmas seasons predate the present New year celebrations.
Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
"Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!
Comment
-
I'm glad to see this matter was discussed and that we were able to discover together that the vast majority of Jews do welcome 'merry Christmas'.The woman who wrote that article wasn't being "very adamant" about "merry Christmas" at all and certainly wouldn't throw a hissy fit if someone said "happy holidays" instead.
Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
"Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!
Comment
-
Money changers in a temple.Originally posted by Boris Godunov View PostWho Would Jesus Punch in the Face?I make no bones about my moral support for [terrorist] organizations. - chegitz guevara
For those who aspire to live in a high cost, high tax, big government place, our nation and the world offers plenty of options. Vermont, Canada and Venezuela all offer you the opportunity to live in the socialist, big government paradise you long for. –Senator Rubio
Comment
-
-
Texas was never one of her majesty's colonies.And yet you seek to join with those who revolted against the crown
I speak ill of those who have chosen to put her aside.speak badly of the rule of her lands
It has been a long time since Canada had their old flag.you are a traitorScouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
"Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!
Comment
-
The tradition is that he scourged them. So yeah. Technically true.Nowhere in the New Testament accounts does it state the Jesus struck anyone during this.Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
"Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!
Comment
-
Indeed for I am her servant as the Lord chose for me to be born there. I shall continue to be her servant as I do not believe that there is a conflict between my personal duties to her as her subject and to the State of Texas, to defend the constitution. I do not, insist that others must follow her - only that I must credit to her what she is owed.Be sure to tell them how your loyalties still lie to the Queen when applying for citizenshipScouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
"Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!
Comment
-
Come on man. Doesn't the level of pc bull**** ever make you want to punch someone in the face? It's sickening.Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View PostAre they supposed to telepathically determine that you're a Christian and based on this knowledge infer that you would rather hear "merry Christmas" instead of "happy holidays"?I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
- Justice Brett Kavanaugh
Comment
-
He whipped them. I was underplaying it there.Originally posted by Boris Godunov View PostNowhere in the New Testament accounts does it state the Jesus struck anyone during this.
"And He found in the temple those who were selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers seated. And He made a scourge of cords, and drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen; and He poured out the coins of the moneychangers, and overturned their tables." (John 2:14-15)I make no bones about my moral support for [terrorist] organizations. - chegitz guevara
For those who aspire to live in a high cost, high tax, big government place, our nation and the world offers plenty of options. Vermont, Canada and Venezuela all offer you the opportunity to live in the socialist, big government paradise you long for. –Senator Rubio
Comment
Comment