Dead body paraded around in Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    So I was right, the Church did teach people to read. I rest my case.
    The Catholic church didn't to teach people to read to the same extent as the Protestant churches, apparently. Or else historically Catholic nations wouldn't be such backwaters. Perhaps if you like the Catholic church so much you should leave this historically Protestant country and go south to Mexico where you can reap more of the fruits of centuries of Catholic influence.

Comment

• All absolute monarchy is tyranny you fool, yet even amongst monarchies there are degrees of viciousness. See Bloody Mary for more details.
      Then you've countered your own argument here. Mary was not especially bloody over her father and sister.

She didn't execute 'most priests' you dick, over the entire course of her rule she executed at most a few hundred Catholics.
      'Only'. I love how you phrase it that way.

The popes were plotting the reestablishment of the Catholic church from the second Henry separated from the church in Rome
      Nonsense. Any evidence of this? The papal bulls were only issued after Elizabeth executed most of the priests.

I don't give a crap about you being a Catholic, but when you try and revise history purely because of your own beliefs then I'm going to call you on that. It's incredibly dishonest and pretty disgusting when it comes from someone who supposedly teaches history to young minds.
      As opposed to you branding Mary as bloody, when she executed fewer than her father and sister? Maybe we should start hearing about Bloody Elizabeth?

Isn't America the land where hard work and talent are duly financially rewarded? They pay you a ****ing pittance
      Since when is success measured by the size of my wallet? Are you saying that unless you're wealthy you are unsuccessful?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• The Catholic church didn't to teach people to read to the same extent as the Protestant churches
        According to whom? You? Everyone who is educated owes their education in some way to the Catholic church. If you're protestant - you owe your faith to a Catholic priest, educated by the Church.

historically Catholic nations wouldn't be such backwaters.
        Austria was a backwater? France was a backwater? Spain was a backwater? You're talking about 2 of the 3 largest world empires ever?

Perhaps if you like the Catholic church so much you should leave this historically Protestant country and go south to Mexico where you can reap more of the fruits of centuries of Catholic influence.
        I live in Texas. The Catholic church here predates the constitution of the United States, by some 2 centuries.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

According to whom? You? Everyone who is educated owes their education in some way to the Catholic church. If you're protestant - you owe your faith to a Catholic priest, educated by the Church.

Austria was a backwater? France was a backwater? Spain was a backwater? You're talking about 2 of the 3 largest world empires ever?

I live in Texas. The Catholic church here predates the constitution of the United States, by some 2 centuries.
          Spain was a backwater, yes. Having a large empire didn't do the average Spaniard a lot of good. France and Austria (and while we're at it, Belgium) were outliers that did much better than the average Catholic country. And Texas wouldn't be anywhere near as nice if Protestants hadn't moved in and taken over.

Comment

• The Catholic German states weren't too bad, such as Austria, as you mentioned.

Comment

• Spain was a backwater, yes.
              Euhm, no, it wasn't. There's a reason that Mexico and everything south of the Rio grande and many parts of it north are spanish speaking.

Having a large empire didn't do the average Spaniard a lot of good
              Having a large empire by definition means that you aren't a backwater. Regardless of whatever religious bigotry you pursue.

France and Austria (and while we're at it, Belgium) were outliers that did much better than the average Catholic country.
              That's the three largest Catholic powers in the world, not to mention Germany, or the Angevin empire, etc. It seems to me that your specious argument is simply unfounded. Oh, I could mention Portugal, (Prince Henry the Navigator), or perhaps some of those Italians. Catholic = dumb is just pure prejudice.

And Texas wouldn't be anywhere near as nice if Protestants hadn't moved in and taken over.
              And Texas wouldn't have even been Texas without the Catholic church.

Comment

• so I guess 13th century Mongolia wasn't a backwater because they had a big empire?

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                And Texas wouldn't have even been Texas without the Catholic church.
                Sorry but Texas as we know it was founded by Protestants- Stephen Austin, Sam Houston, etc.

Comment

• so I guess 13th century Mongolia wasn't a backwater because they had a big empire?
                  Not at all.

Sorry but Texas as we know it was founded by Protestants- Stephen Austin, Sam Houston, etc.
                  Erasmo Seguin.

Comment

• Who is Erasmo Seguin? Was he added to the curriculum for political correctness?

Comment

• Who is Erasmo Seguin?
                      One of the key players in early Texas History. Both him and his son were very prominent.

Was he added to the curriculum for political correctness?
                      Ignorance of history is no justification for bigotry.

Comment

• Munster? Yes. Scandinavia,
                        Umm, no. You need to learn some geography.
                        That quote ( Munster? Yes. Scandinavia,) was from you.

PWN GOAL
                        I dom't know what you're on about with Munster. The town was taken by a fringe group of Anabaptists who were quickly defeated. The Roman Catholic church, in a typical show of its core values still displays the cages in which the Anabaptists were tortured and killed outside its cathedral.
                        Koln? Gebhard von Waldeberg was never supported by the Protestant league, but it's apparent that in the resulting re-conquest the Catholic forces displayed all the finesse previously exercised in southern France during the Albigensian Crusade.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• If Ben is the representation of Catholicism, one can see why folks would want to leave
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Then you've countered your own argument here. Mary was not especially bloody over her father and sister.
                            That doesn't even make any sense you moron, all absolute monarchs being tyrants does not mean that some can't be worse than others. The reason Bloody Mary is remembered as Bloody Mary is because even by the vicious standards of the time she was particularly cruel.

'Only'. I love how you phrase it that way.
                            In a time when a monarch was free to kill his or her subjects for literally any reason they chose, yes a few hundred over 45 years wasn't particularly terrible. Stop playing historical revisionism, it makes you look idiotic.

Nonsense. Any evidence of this? The papal bulls were only issued after Elizabeth executed most of the priests.
                            Considering you have so far provided exactly zero evidence that Elizabeth 'executed most of the priests', this is yet more evidence that you are retarded. Here's a little background on teh bull you keep talking about btw..

Originally posted by Wiki
                            The Papacy had previously reconciled with Mary I, who returned the Church of England to Catholicism. After Mary's death in November 1558, Elizabeth's Parliament passed the Act of Supremacy of 1559, which re-established the Church of England’s separation from the Catholic Church. This bull can be seen as an act of retaliation for the religious settlement, but as it was delayed by eleven years it was most likely instigated by pressure from Philip II of Spain, the Duke of Norfolk or Mary, Queen of Scots, all of whom had a vested interest in overthrowing Elizabeth. The delay was caused in part by a number of royal Catholic suitors who hoped to marry Elizabeth, and because she had tolerated Catholic worship in private. The Bull was issued in support of, but following, the 1569 "Northern Rebellion" in England, and the first Desmond Rebellion in Ireland, with foreign Catholic support, and hardened her opinion against her landowning Catholic subjects.
                            Notice the part about how she tolerated Catholic worship in private? Yes, she was such a fanatic that she didn't actually care about people practicing in private, as long as they didn't try and disturb the peace of the realm. I wonder what effect that bull had?

Originally posted by Wiki
                            Aftermath of the bull

The bull provoked the English government into taking more repressive actions against the Jesuits, whom they feared to be acting in the interests of Spain and the papacy. This reaction soon seemed justified: it was the publication in England of Pius's exhortation that gave the impetus to the Ridolfi plot, in which the Duke of Norfolk was to kidnap or murder Queen Elizabeth, install Mary, Queen of Scots, on the throne and then become de facto king by marrying her.[3]
                            Good work pope!

As opposed to you branding Mary as bloody, when she executed fewer than her father and sister? Maybe we should start hearing about Bloody Elizabeth?
                            No, real historians are not going to rewrite history purely because you are a fanatical idiot.

Since when is success measured by the size of my wallet? Are you saying that unless you're wealthy you are unsuccessful?
                            You're a liar, a terrible historian, a loathsome person and a simply dreadful Catholic. You are however a very successful troll. Congratulations.

Comment

• Meh, double post. Here's a picture of some dancing badger people to ensure the space wasn't totally wasted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1350883031-dancing-badgers-protest-badger-cull-outside-houses-of-parliament_1539349.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	9094492

Comment

You're right, I'm so illiterate that I earned a university degree and I teach for a living. And quite successfully I might add.

If the only argument you have is that "you are stupid", that means you've got nothing.
                                my argument is that you don't know what you're talking about. i would also add, in light of your last post, that you don't understand analogy.

you claimed that the people of the languedoc were subjects of the king of france - which isn't true, as i have already pointed out. you claimed that the papal legate was executed - again not true, he was assasinated (although i accept this may be just a bad use of language on your part). in fact you have at no point demostrated even a basic knowledge of the subject.

you claimed also that the legate's murder was a legitmate reason for the pope to go to war. perhaps you'd like to explain why, giving due consideration to the facts of the matter...
                                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                                X