Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This could be karma biting me in the ass or "I might be moving to Texas".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could be karma biting me in the ass or "I might be moving to Texas".

Serves me right for all those times I made fun of Texas. I've been keeping in contact with head hunters since the economy here in California continues to be slow and a place in The Woodlands, TX wants me to fly out to interview with them. I honestly had never heard of the town before but it's supposed to be north of Houston and not to bad as far as Texas goes. The Good: The salary they're quoting is unbelievably good ($175,000-$200,000). The Bad: It's doing shale oil & gas recovery which is not something I specifically have direct experience with though I have done many of the associated tasks. The ugly: Long hours, lots of traveling, and did I mention having to move to Texas?

I haven't gotten the job yet so it might all be academic but this would be a huge increase in salary (~$75,000-$100,000 increase plus I'd get out of paying state income income taxes) but it would mean leaving the place I feel most at home and it would likely mean having to sell my house in a down market (or renting it out and paying someone else to manage the property since I'd be living half a continent away). Has anyone ever been to The Woodlands, TX? Let's hear the dirt.
    Last edited by Dinner; October 6, 2011, 19:17.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Oerdin living in Texas =

Regardless, good luck Oerdin!
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Welcome to TX, Oerdin. If you're ever in the Austin area, give me a jingle. Lots of good taco places here.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If by "give you a jingle" you mean "take advantage of Texas' loose gun laws and fill you full of holes" then I think he'd be game, Ben.

Comment

Oerdin, do you think you could handle living in the same state as Ben? It's bad enough being in the same country.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            Oerdin, do you think you could handle living in the same state as Ben? It's bad enough being in the same country.
            So move to Australia. Can't get much further away. Could you handle living on the same planet as Ben?

OTH I hear NASA has openings for astronauts.

Comment

I have some reservations with the idea but I understand Texas is a big place.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                He doesn't ever have to meet Ben in person, so what's the big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                  So move to Australia. Can't get much further away. Could you handle living on the same planet as Ben?

OTH I hear NASA has openings for astronauts.
                  Doesn't Ben have a plan to build a moon base or something? Maybe we could send him and cut off all communications?

Comment

Oerdin, with your mouth, your ass will kicked within one week. Stay there.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"Oerdin, the Texan".

Comment

If by "give you a jingle" you mean "take advantage of Texas' loose gun laws and fill you full of holes" then I think he'd be game, Ben.
                        He's from California. What does he know about guns?

Anyways, folks welcomed me here, least I can do is return the favour.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

He's prior service, so I'm sure he knows more than you.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

You could make more than that moving to Calgary.

Texas pays chump change in comparison.

I know some oil company secretaries making $80,000...
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He's prior service, so I'm sure he knows more than you.
                              I'm not service but I've had a permit since I was 16. Got my hunting permit and carry license, then my driver's license.

Comment

Working...
                              X