No announcement yet.

White supremacist executed for Texas dragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death penalty in America is generally reserved for premeditated murders, so this discussion of rage killings is largely irrelevant.

Comment

There are a lot of young people who "don't think that life extends past 20", so obviously the punishment is not relevant.

If their social situation changed, there would be less people of this type.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

People who commit premeditated murders usually assume they won't get caught or they simply don't care, so it doesn't really matter. The point is there is no proof whatsoever the death penalty is a deterrent, and even the notion of that doesn't pass the sniff test.

Does anyone seriously want to argue that someone who is planning to murder someone would call off the murder because he might get lethal injection in 15 years instead of spending the next 60+ years being assraped in a crowded prison?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
          The death penalty in America is generally reserved for premeditated murders, so this discussion of rage killings is largely irrelevant.
          Yes.

I think the DP is best argued from justice grounds. I think it is obvious to most people that morally someone who has been murdering people deserves death.

The problem is that it might be applied unjustly. This is the best argument against the DP.

To say it is 'barbaric' doesn't pass the sniff test.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The point is there is no proof whatsoever the death penalty is a deterrent, and even the notion of that doesn't pass the sniff test.

There's no proof that the death penalty doesn't work, either. This discussion is almost completely divorced from any sort of empirical evidence and is therefore ****ing retarded.

Comment

The notion it's a deterrent doesn't seem logical.
              The evidence doesn't support it being a deterrent.

And yet some people still think it is.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

There's no proof that the death penalty doesn't work. This discussion is completely divorced from any sort of empirical evidence and is therefore ****ing retarded.
                If we agree there's no empirical evidence either way, the only reasonable conclusion is to abolish the death penalty.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

There's no proof that the death penalty doesn't work.
                  There's proof that when you remove the death penalty the murder rate doesn't go up, and that if you re-introduce it the murder rates don't go down. What more proof do you need?
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    If we agree there's no empirical evidence either way, the only reasonable conclusion is to abolish the death penalty.

Murdering someone on the off chance it might prevent a death isn't ethical or logical is it?
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                      Yes.

I think the DP is best argued from justice grounds. I think it is obvious to most people that morally someone who has been murdering people deserves death.

The problem is that it might be applied unjustly. This is the best argument against the DP.

To say it is 'barbaric' doesn't pass the sniff test.

JM
                      Murdering is barbaric, regardless of what your excuse is.

"Justice", as you are using it, really means "Revenge". Which is barbaric.

Comment

There's proof that when you remove the death penalty the murder rate doesn't go up, and that if you re-introduce it the murder rates don't go down. What more proof do you need?

I would ask you to show your evidence, but I honestly don't care enough about this argument to read it if you did.

Comment

Again, lack of evidence should mean lack of death penalty.

The burden of proof is on people who insist on state-sanctioned murder.

Comment

When a animal is rabid it is put down....same for a man.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                              When a animal is rabid it is put down....same for a man.
                              Since when do we give people with rabies lethal injections?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                                Murdering is barbaric, regardless of what your excuse is.

"Justice", as you are using it, really means "Revenge". Which is barbaric.
                                No, because it could be for that guy in Norway, who has done nothing to me or anyone I know.

Yet still my innate sense of justice says he deserves punishment. People generally all agree with that.

DP is a punishment. You have to provide an argument about why it is barbaric, there is no reason to believe it is so.

This idea (that sometimes goes around) that punishment is barbaric doesn't pass the sniff test.

Also, you are using murder wrong. Murder is unlawful killing, DP is lawful.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X