Oslo bombed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    And I'm not sure what this Byzantine state of Syria is... The territory was constantly being fought over and lost for decades at a time to the Sassanids. The Ghassanids ruled the south of Syria, as well. This is was before the Themes system so I'm not sure how the Byzantines organized their territories but a 'Syrian state' doesn't seem too likely.
    Shows that you did not study this and don't know what is the historical realities.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
      Check here for map of Syria:

Spoiler:

What's the context? Are these provinces? When?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
        I think the Roman province of Syria was smaller?
        It was subdivided a couple of times, that's true.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          What's the context? Are these provinces? When?
          If you'd bothered to check, you'd seen that it is a map of Roman Syria.

Comment

That part of Palestine was part of Syria. It does matter when one discusses history. It's a matter of being correct. And in this case, you being shown to be ignorant time and time again.
            Ignorant of which side of the Sea of Galilee the battle of Yarmouk happened? How will I sleep at night?

Comment

• No, ignorant on the terms and theme we're discussing and you claimed to know better about.

Comment

If you'd bothered to check, you'd seen that it is a map of Roman Syria.
                1) How can I check? Seriously. I saw the URL but it provided me with no information. It's just syria.jpg
                2) Roman Syria? WHEN?! We're talking 636 AD here. What went down in 100 AD is not the same. What time is this map depicting?
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Don't know how accurate this is:
                  Spoiler:

Maybe I was right when I wrote Palestine? I should start calling other posters ignorant and saying they can't read now.

Comment

• Tadmur is Palmyra.
                    And how do you get there?

The road runs right along the Jordan.

Yarmouk is right at the Jordanian border, near the Golan Heights.
                    On the Arabian side. Desert to the east, with the Jordan and the heights on the West. Flat open terrain and the road right through there to Palmyra.

I guess in the sense that New York is not that far from Baltimore...
                    300 kms isn't very far at all.

This is was before the Themes system so I'm not sure how the Byzantines organized their territories but a 'Syrian state' doesn't seem too likely.
                    From what I can see the maps from 400 AD, when Yarmouk was part of the Byzantine Empire (before the Sassanid War, it was a part of Arabia, just south of Syria and East of Palestina II.

Edit, it's about 10 miles inside of the Palestina II province border. The 5 road to Damascus runs pretty close to the ancient border. Odd that.
                    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 4, 2011, 21:30.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• This is a map of the post-Diocletian reorganization of the Roman provinces... circa 400 AD:

Yarmouk was in 400 AD era's Palestina II or Arabia.

Of course, the battle took place two centuries later....

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                        Don't know how accurate this is:
                        Spoiler:

Maybe I was right when I wrote Palestine? I should start calling other posters ignorant and saying they can't read now.
                        That's a subdivision of Syria...

EDIT: Anyway, the point really was that you did not know what you were talking about, not the exact names and subdivisions of Middle Eastern provinces.

Comment

• What exactly is this argument about?

So far as I can tell it appears to be an argument about whether Christ knows where is Christ knows where and Christ knows when.

Duh

Comment

• Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                            What exactly is this argument about?

So far as I can tell it appears to be an argument about whether Christ knows where is Christ knows where and Christ knows when.

Duh
                            It's a good argument that is getting out of hand and into weirdo details.

Comment

• Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                              What exactly is this argument about?

Duh
                              Christians keep getting mad when the crusades are criticized or you say something happened in palestine when they think palestine is part of syria.

Comment

It was a good argument that is now out of hand and into weirdo details.
                                Fixed for you

Comment

Working...
                                X