No announcement yet.

Philly says Boy Scouts have to accept gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the real arguments have any value for either side, or is this a pro- vs anti-gay debate covered behind some boy scout rent issue?
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Hello Mr. Plomp,

Did you get my PM about name change?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Did you get mine?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Oh boy, I sure did get yours. Almost as impressive as Fez's.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• And CyberShy, no, the original issue of the rent was a pro-gay, anti-gay issue. The city wants to renege on a lease because the boy scouts don't accept gay members.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
              And CyberShy, no, the original issue of the rent was a pro-gay, anti-gay issue. The city wants to renege on a lease because the boy scouts don't accept gay members.
              More specifically, new laws in the city demand the government not discriminate nor fund or subsidize organizations that do discriminate.

Comment

• I know for a fact I'm bigger than Fez, Asher! But what about the other one? did you like the J. Crew Waistcoat and Uniqlo blackwatch plaid trousers? Do you think the Bass saddle shoes are a bit much?

Comment

I know for a fact I'm bigger than Fez, Asher!
                  Actually, I'd doubt that. That's the one thing Fez had going for him.

But what about the other one? did you like the J. Crew Waistcoat and Uniqlo blackwatch plaid trousers? Do you think the Bass saddle shoes are a bit much?
                  Honey, I have no words.

Comment

• I'll ask MrFun instead then... unless, you're saying no way? I'll look at some other stuff then. What's wrong exactly? Is it the saddle shoes?
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 17, 2010, 01:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
                      Hello Mr. Plomp,

Did you get my PM about name change?
                      Yes.

Comment

Did you get mine?
                        Yes. I'm just waiting for you to send the "please change it back" PM, so I can do both requests at once.

Comment

• It's safe to assume they assessed the claim and found it not worth even including in the complaint.
                          What part of "argument from silence" aren't you getting?

This may be true, it may be not, but we simply can't be certain.

As for the strategy, I think the boy scouts have done a terrible job so far. It starts by not being on the same page with the national organisation. It continues with them attempting to 'work' with the policy. And it continues with not filing against the initial breach of contract.

It seems to me that their strategy is to go after the non-discrimination law, because if that gets knocked down, then the status quo is restored. From that perspective the breach of contract isn't even in the picture.

As for the article. You might want to read it again if you think he doesn't address initial breach of contract. It's right there. I'd quote it but then I'd be accused of 'selectively quoting'.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• No, because the issue is different than it was in 2000. They're more likely to recognize the city's right to decide who and what it subsidizes.
                            Turning this case into a referendum on homosexuality ensures it will go to the supremes and get smacked down.

Again, Alito, Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, Kennedy for a 5-4 decision in favour the scouts. Philly council ordered to pay for costs and compensation.

I seriously doubt the Philly council will let it get this far. They'll settle with the Scouts and that will be that.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Why is Ben arrogant enough to think his judgment is better than that of a lawyer? What kind of legal education does he have?

Comment

• That's actually a good question. I could have gone that route.

Solomwi is smoking something if he thinks the Supremes are going to favour Philly.

Comment

Working...
                                X