No announcement yet.

Philly says Boy Scouts have to accept gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, why should anyone take your opinion seriously? You are completely unqualified and completely biased.

Comment

• Why does it require a lawyer to gage the opinion of the supreme court? I'm relying on the history of the court, which in a more liberal court voted against Philly council back in 2000. That's a precedent.

Solomwi's only argument is that the 'issue is different now', presumably because settled precedent doesn't matter when it restricts liberal activist causes. What's next, overturning Roe? Doubtful.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Why does this require a lawyer? Because it's a legal issue. Why does it matter what a fundamentalist Christian with no legal expertise thinks? If this case didn't somehow involve people you are predisposed to hate you wouldn't even participate in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          Why does this require a lawyer? Because it's a legal issue.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
              That's an argument from silence.
              You do, btw, realize that the courts can't just rule on a case based on whatever legal claim they'd like, right? If a claim isn't asserted by the plaintiffs the court cannot rule upon it (and many SCOTUS decisions say that an analysis may be different under another claim, but since it wasn't asserted they can't address it).

So the fact that it wasn't raised is... significant. But what would I know, being a lawyer and all while talking on legal issues.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Why does it matter what a fundamentalist Christian with no legal expertise thinks? If this case didn't somehow involve people you are predisposed to hate you wouldn't even participate in this thread.
                It obviously matters because you are here commenting. If you didn't care you wouldn't bother to comment.

So predicting how the supreme court will rule requires a lawyer?

I'd swear a historian who can gage by prior rulings and overall judicial philosophy is useless. Or perhaps that is our job...
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• You do, btw, realize that the courts can't just rule on a case based on whatever legal claim they'd like, right?
                  Where did I say otherwise. That they chose not to file on that basis is significant. The question we are arguing over is what that significance is. Solomwi seems to think that not filing a claim means that any legal basis for the claim disappears. I'm arguing the opposite. I'm saying that even though the claim was not filed has nothing to do with whether or not a breach of contract exists. The breach is still there.

If a claim isn't asserted by the plaintiffs the court cannot rule upon it (and many SCOTUS decisions say that an analysis may be different under another claim, but since it wasn't asserted they can't address it).
                  Of course. But speculating as to whether a breach of contract exists, which is the topic we are discussing, doesn't rely on the plaintiff filing for breach of contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post

Why does it matter what a fundamentalist Christian with no legal expertise thinks?
                    While he is welcome to his opinion, it is obviously a wrong one since he has no real knowledge in the area of law, but thinks he knows more than real lawyers...

If this case didn't somehow involve people you are predisposed to hate you wouldn't even participate in this thread.
                    Soooooo true. Just another chance to continue his hate campaign... Jesus would be so ashamed of Ben.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Of course. But speculating as to whether a breach of contract exists, which is the topic we are discussing, doesn't rely on the plaintiff filing for breach of contract.
                      The fact they didn't claim it seems to be good evidence that there likely wasn't a valid breach of contract claim. Or that the lawyers just suck.

Either way, the Scouts are in trouble.

Comment

• The fact they didn't claim it seems to be good evidence that there likely wasn't a valid breach of contract claim. Or that the lawyers just suck
                        That's all I'm saying. That piece of evidence in and of itself is insufficient to draw a logical conclusion on the merits of a breach of contract claim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          Or that the lawyers just suck.
                          Maybe they learned all they know about law from Ben
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I hope not. I'm not a lawyer, and I've made no pretensions to be one.

Comment

It obviously matters because you are here commenting. If you didn't care you wouldn't bother to comment.
                              No, I'm merely pointing out your complete lack of credibility because I'm amazed that a legal illiterate would spend six pages arguing with a lawyer about the law. But I'm not really surprised because it's sadly very common for fundamentalist Christians to delude themselves into thinking they know better than the experts in a field.

So predicting how the supreme court will rule requires a lawyer?
                              Yep, all you are capable of is pointing out that five of the justices lean right giving the boy scouts an advantage.

I'd swear a historian who can gage by prior rulings and overall judicial philosophy is useless. Or perhaps that is our job...
                              Stop calling yourself a historian. All you have is a bachelor's degree. If you want to make historians as a whole look bad you should at least earn it.

Comment

• Apparently most people in this thread don't know what subsidize means. Its not happening here. Philly being taken for a sucker deal and whining about it is what is happening here.

Taking on the Boy Scouts is a loser deal anyway. Unless its an abuse case, most of the city officials prosecuting this are losing votes every day it goes on.
                                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X