• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Spank the Bad Kids

Link
    Spanking children can lead to aggressive behavior: study
    (AFP) – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON — Children who are spanked frequently at age three are more likely to be aggressive when they're five, a recent study has found.

The results reinforce earlier studies which have found that children who are spanked have lower IQ scores and that frequent spanking has been linked to anxiety and behavior problems and higher risk of violent or criminal behavior, depression and excessive alcohol use.

Researchers surveyed 2,500 mothers across the United States.

Nearly half said they had not spanked their three-year-old in the past month, while 27.9 percent said reported one or two spankings and 26.5 reported spanking more than twice.

Two years later, the mothers who had spanked their children more frequently reported higher levels of aggression such as arguing, screaming, fighting, destroying things, cruelty or bullying in their five-year-olds.

The results held true even when researchers accounted for potentially confounding factors such as the presence of aggression within the family and parental stress, depression and drug or alcohol use.

"There are ways to discipline children effectively that do not involve hitting them and that can actually lower their risk for being more aggressive," said lead author Catherine Taylor of the Tulane University School of Public Health.

"So the good news is, parents don't have to rely on spanking to get the results that they want," Taylor said in a press release.

"If they avoid spanking but instead use effective, non-physical types of discipline, their child has a better chance of being healthier, and behaving better later."

The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly opposes striking children for any reason and recommends time outs, withholding privileges and logical consequences like taking putting toys away for the rest of the day if a child does not pick them up.

The study, which will be published in the May issue of the journal Pediatrics, was released on Monday.

Does it occur to the researchers that the spanking might be a result of the behavior and not the cause? You really don't need to spank the kids who listen and behave, or respond to other forms of discipline. However, the kids who are "naturally" more physical might respond better/worse to physical repremand.

IMO, this study is stupid and shows nothing other than we can infer what we want from any isolated case study. Maybe what we should get out of this study is that children who are spanked more often are more likely to have parents who spanked them... oi vey
    Monkey!!!

Spanking leads to republicanism, also.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yeah, but if you don't spank them they acquire a bondage fettish or become gay... or both
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
        Link

Does it occur to the researchers that the spanking might be a result of the behavior and not the cause? You really don't need to spank the kids who listen and behave, or respond to other forms of discipline. However, the kids who are "naturally" more physical might respond better/worse to physical repremand.

IMO, this study is stupid and shows nothing other than we can infer what we want from any isolated case study. Maybe what we should get out of this study is that children who are spanked more often are more likely to have parents who spanked them... oi vey
        My wife and I both work in market research and when we saw this we both chuckled together and voiced the exact same concern. That doesn't mean that there is NO correlation but you have to wonder a bit.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, but if you don't spank them they acquire a bondage fettish or become gay... or both
          Actually, spanking causes those, too.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Link

Originally posted by rah View Post
            My wife and I both work in market research and when we saw this we both chuckled together and voiced the exact same concern. That doesn't mean that there is NO correlation but you have to wonder a bit.
            "The odds of a child being more aggressive at age 5 if he had been spanked more than twice in the month before the study began increased by 50%," says Taylor. And because her group also accounted for varying levels of natural aggression in children, the researchers are confident that "it's not just that children who are more aggressive are more likely to be spanked."

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

It's why when you spank, you shouldn't leave survivors.

Capital spanking
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                "The odds of a child being more aggressive at age 5 if he had been spanked more than twice in the month before the study began increased by 50%," says Taylor. And because her group also accounted for varying levels of natural aggression in children, the researchers are confident that "it's not just that children who are more aggressive are more likely to be spanked."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2010041...08599198101900
                I'd have to review their methodology first to determine how they accounted for it. Since this is what they were attempting to find, I would expect them to be confident.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Hitting helpless people is wrong.
                  Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Stats are almost always biased towards those administering the study.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                      Hitting helpless people is wrong.
                      Oh? Since when?
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Moral of the story:

Don't spank your daughter. She'll be into it the rest of her life.
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Spanking, done in moderation, without excessive force and promptly without anger is clearly the best discipline and with an explanation for children old enough to understand. These studies never analyse how the spanking is administered, excessive spanking done in anger is clearly counterproductive and families where it is administered in that fashion should be eliminated from studies to find the true beneficial impact of spanking. Raising 6 children plus having substantial input into raising a grandchild during her earliest years gives me some right to offer an opinion. Also I think nonspanking options work pretty well in small families of 1 - 2 children, Larger families of children close in age, it is simply too difficult to fairly administer many nonspanking methods in young children. My 6 children were born over a 9 year period.

Comment

Wait, some of you actually favour spanking children?
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

I do as well. Seems to be the majority of people here who actually have kids or deal with them on a regular basis are the ones who favour spanking.

Gee, I wonder why that might be the case.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X