Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
    BTW, talking of not wanting Muslims to work for the church:

One of the striking things I noticed in both Egypt and Morocco was that Christian and Jewish religious sites (such as WWII cemeteries, churches and synagogues) in both those countries overwhelmingly employed Muslims in positions such as caretakers etc - so clearly they are not practising what YOU preach, Ben.
    Exactly!!!
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

One of the striking things I noticed in both Egypt and Morocco was that Christian and Jewish religious sites (such as WWII cemeteries, churches and synagogues) in both those countries overwhelmingly employed Muslims in positions such as caretakers etc - so clearly they are not practising what YOU preach, Ben
      Gee, I wonder why. Perhaps someone brighter than I can make the connection...
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        I do believe in a freedom of association, so I wonder how far the law goes. I do see what MikeH put, that you can't discriminate solely on the basis of homosexuality, but does that mean that if the Catholic Church teaches that homosexual acts are sinful can the Church refuse to hire someone who believes that homosexual acts are not sinful (ie, is that a way to get around it - because you aren't discriminating on the basis of homosexuality of a person, but whether that person believes in the ideals of the organization - though questions of it being a pretext arise afterwards, etc)?
        Having thought about this a bit more. I think what you could specify (and quite justifiably) is that for certain positions you are required to have an extensive knowledge and understanding of Catholic Tenets. Of course someone with extensive cross religion religious education could still meet that criteria, as could a gay person.
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          Gee, I wonder why. Perhaps someone brighter than I can make the connection...
          Because what religion you are is irrelevant to your performance in virtually all jobs?
          We've got both kinds

Comment

What is the situation of the priesthood? Are priests not regarded as being employed by the RCC?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Yeah, they don't count either.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                They have a right not to be denied work by anyone purely because of their sexuality.
                Okay, this is the point where you and I disagree. I think religious organisations have a right to deny work, aid or counsel if by doing that they would go against their beliefs.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                  Yeah, they don't count either.

There are exemptions then? What are some of them?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                    MikeH, I *hate* to side with Ben in this debate, but noncommercial organisations should be able to discriminate against specific sorts of people as long as they do not obtain aid from the secular government.

Regardless of any other point you make, let me assure you that the Catholic church receives extensive aid from the secular government. Foremost among the aid is its tax-exempt status as a charity, even where its profits are obtain from secular business.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Because what religion you are is irrelevant to your performance in virtually all jobs?
                      You believe the requirement is voluntary? There's this thing called Sharia...
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Foremost among the aid is its tax-exempt status as a charity, even where its profits are obtain from secular business.
                        Since when is a tax exemption considered a benefit from the government? Is the government paying their bills?

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                          Okay, this is the point where you and I disagree. I think religious organisations have a right to deny work, aid or counsel if by doing that they would go against their beliefs.

I invite any resident theologians to present the biblical instruction not to employ homosexuals in secular roles, so that we can compare it with the apparently relaxed attitude taken to people who burn incense (Isaiah 66:3). Or eat prawns and shrimps (Leviticus 11:10).

If the Catholic church can now live with those abominations, please provide the basis for why homosexuality is different.

Comment

Since when is a tax exemption considered a benefit from the government?

I could provide you with the date of the statute or cases in question, but what would be the point?

Comment

Since when is a tax exemption considered a benefit from the government?
                              Do you even read what you post...

Let's see, not having to pay taxes like everybody else... gee, I wonder if that would be considered a benefit from the government... OF COURSE IT IS A BENEFIT FROM THE GOVERNMENT! DUH!
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Incidentally, Ben- before we wade up a bone-headed tangent let me reassure you that Catholic schools also get direct grants from the British government.

Comment

Working...
                                X