Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zkribbler's Retirement House - Watch it being built!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got it on the far side wall.

Security on the steps could be done with a small outer wall that goes from the existing wall to half way along the steps, to incl a small post. Then from a small post in the inner wall, built into the facing of the small inner wall to the end of the outer wall we run a piece of wood and hang on it a wall/door made of bamboo hung from it that could be removed, just carried away, when a typhoon comes.
    Last edited by Lancer; April 22, 2009, 17:03.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• I think the big July waves would batter down the small wall ever year.

---Wait a minute. Are you talking about building at the bottom of the wall or along the top of the wall? I think any security will have to be at the top to avoid the waves.

Drat. Have to go now.
      Last edited by Zkribbler; April 22, 2009, 16:59.

Comment

• I have to go too, run Aeson in to Tag to catch his flight. Anyway yes, it would occur half way up the steps. That way someone standing on the steps can't stand there and watch you on your property. gotta run

Comment

• On the way home I snapped a pic of a place with interesting posts...

Got to your place at lunch and caught Elvin and Bia playing what looked like checkers.

This is along the far side. These post cages will be cut and tied in to the end of the waver where your one meter wall will be.

Comment

• Dolores was happy with the whole thing in general.

The facing is nice and flat and straight.

Comment

• The middle of the stairs. On my wall between the two sides I'll be hanging a door someday.

On home...

One last thing. Oerdin may be correct and there could be a slight angle in this one post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                I got matching plaid pants to go with my orange party shirt.

That's a serious fashion improvement for you.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                  This is along the far side. These post cages will be cut and tied in to the end of the waver where your one meter wall will be.

It looks as if you're planning on building the one-meter wall along the inside edge of the waver. Along that side of the property, I want it on the outside edge of the waver--like you have yours on your property.

The middle of the stairs. On my wall between the two sides I'll be hanging a door someday.
                  I don't think that will work. Big waves will knock down a wall with nothing behind it for support. I think any gate and/or wall will have to go at the top of the stairs.

Comment

• Yes, we were planning on putting the circumference wall directly over the outside edge of the seawall there too. We didn't exempt this end from your instructions. With very little effort it can be over the end of the waver which is what they'll be working on soon, np.

At the stairs we'll then complete the waver as far as it will run and face the stairs themselves to match the rest of the wall. Any security/privacy you want to add will then be done later and up above.
                    Last edited by Lancer; April 23, 2009, 19:54.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theben View Post
                      That's a serious fashion improvement for you.
                      If I wander off people can find me easier.

Comment

• You may hate me for this but....

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                        ...With very little effort it can be over the end of the waver which is what they'll be working on soon, np.
                        Looking at pix such as No. 404, I now think I made a mistake in saying that the 1-meter wall should be at the edge of the seawall instead of the edge of the waver. Putting it at the edge of the waver would look so much better.

How much effort would it take to move the entire 1-meter wall to the edge of the waver? -- Except, of course, for the strip along the house.

Comment

• The far end is easy because the waver isn't poured yet, the rest would be rather tough I'd think because the waver is poured. The only way it would be possible is to pour another level on top of the wall and waver and include the metal bar at the end of the waver in it. Hmm, even at the un-poured far end it would have to be raised.

On the step side this would mean one more step.

The normal way to go about these things is to dig into the cement to get to the metal and attach more metal to it for the wall. Digging into the waver to get at its metal might forever create a path for the salt water to get to the metal.

Sho will be by after work today, I'll ask him what he thinks.

Or Clemente is home now so when Dolores gets back from the market I'll ask her if she wants to go. If you get to this thread let me know what to do as soon as you can please so we can go tell the guys.

Fyi, the crew will be off Thursday thru Sunday this coming week for fiesta.
                          Last edited by Lancer; April 24, 2009, 20:40.

Comment

• Doesn't sound worth the trouble...unless Sho comes up with an absolutely brilliant idea.

Comment

• With all the cement we've poured so far another step wouldn't be so bad, and that's what it amounts to...and it excludes the house. If we pour a step then we don't dig into the waver, that's good.

My 2 cents, go for it.

Your call...
                              Last edited by Lancer; April 24, 2009, 20:51.

Comment

• I should go get Sho's take first.

One thing though, as our instructions stand now we have to build a meter wall then pour an angle to keep the kids off the waver. An angle is going to eat up about as much cement as a step, I'd guess.

Anyway, waiting for Dolores then off to see Sho.

Comment

Working...
                                X